GTWBB vs South Carolina, Sunday Mar 28, 1PM ABC

Deleted member 2897

Gonna be a tough one, but that’s why you play the game. Gotta win on the court in real life and not on the betting spreads. David vs Goliath. I think our team would have had a better chance of beating Gonzaga’s. No matter what, nobody can take away their incredible year.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
– Making its second NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance in program history, Georgia Tech women’s basketball will face top-seeded South Carolina on Sunday, March 28, at 1 p.m. ET in the Alamodome. The matchup will be televised nationally on ABC.

Georgia Tech (17-8 overall, 12-6 ACC) secured a spot in the Sweet 16 cruising past West Virginia in second-round action on Tuesday. Lorela Cubaj and Lotta-Maj Lahtinen combined to score 43 points in Tech’s 73-56 win over the Mountaineers. Kierra Fletcher added 14 points as Cubaj pulled down 12 rebounds to record her fourth-straight double-double. No. 6 South Carolina (24-4 overall, 14-2 SEC) advanced to its seventh straight Sweet 16 after dominating Oregon State, 59-42, in second round play. South Carolina faced Mercer in opening round action, taking the win, 79-53.

Deleted member 2897

– Making its second NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance in program history, Georgia Tech women’s basketball will face top-seeded South Carolina on Sunday, March 28, at 1 p.m. ET in the Alamodome. The matchup will be televised nationally on ABC.

Georgia Tech (17-8 overall, 12-6 ACC) secured a spot in the Sweet 16 cruising past West Virginia in second-round action on Tuesday. Lorela Cubaj and Lotta-Maj Lahtinen combined to score 43 points in Tech’s 73-56 win over the Mountaineers. Kierra Fletcher added 14 points as Cubaj pulled down 12 rebounds to record her fourth-straight double-double. No. 6 South Carolina (24-4 overall, 14-2 SEC) advanced to its seventh straight Sweet 16 after dominating Oregon State, 59-42, in second round play. South Carolina faced Mercer in opening round action, taking the win, 79-53.

I was looking through rosters and results. I do feel on paper South Carolina is the superior team. If they win by 20 points I'll be disappointed but not surprised. However, they aren't as dominating as I had initially thought.

Georgia Tech is 1-4 against ranked teams. Losing once in OT and once or twice more by a smallish margin. West Virginia was our first win against a ranked team all year.

South Carolina is much more battle tested, going 5-4 against ranked teams. Lost once in OT and a couple smallish losses. But notice the volume of tougher opponents and the number of wins. They're not invincible, but a lot more battle tested.

Also, looking at size and speed, I think we match up well. We both typically play a couple 6'5" women at a time in the front court, and although I think our guards may give up just a smidgeon, we're pretty close there too.

Hopefully a good game.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Guessing my evaluations of the season are different than most.

GT didn’t have Fletcher during the OT game vs. Mutts. We proved without our big three experienced players, it’s a tough road. Led Louisville, until Cubaj went out. When Lahtinen is off her game, we really struggle. All Freshmen on the bench and usually two in the lineup, most of the year. Lost by 9 and 5 to NC St., with the first game being down 29 at the half, after an almost 3 week layoff.
’Pack did beat S.C., and Tech did beat an almost perfect NC St. team last year. Wes Moore has built a juggernaut like Dawn Staley has since 2017.

Look at the Ga. Tech wins vs. ACC NCAA Tournament Clubs. FSU twice, VT, Syracuse, W.F.
SF Austin and W Va. were hot teams.

It certainly will be an almost improbable journey to keep advancing. This is the 1 seed in the region, Sunday. Next Tuesday would bring the Maryland(my pick to win it all)vs. Texas winner. Stanford probably awaits in the Final Four. Baylor for the N.Champ. game. Everything must go perfectly. No foul trouble, no injury downtime to the three roomies. Ball must bounce right. Shots have to fall.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – Georgia Tech women’s basketball makes its second program appearance in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 on Sunday, facing off against top-seeded South Carolina in the Hemisfair Region. The Yellow Jackets and Gamecocks tip-off at 1 p.m. EST in the Alamodome on ABC.

NCAA TOURNAMENT SWEET 16
WHO: No. 6/5 South Carolina (24-4) vs. Georgia Tech (17-8)
WHEN: Sunday, March 28 – 1 p.m. EST
WHERE: Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas
TV: ABC
RADIO: WREK 91.1 FM

Sunday’s Matchup: Georgia Tech and South Carolina are meeting for the first time in program history on Sunday. The Yellow Jackets are making their second appearance in the Sweet 16, while the Gamecocks are making their 11th and are 4-6 all-time in the Sweet 16.

Georgia Tech Update: The Yellow Jackets (17-8 overall, 12-6 ACC) secured its second-ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16, routing West Virginia in second round action, 73-56. Three Yellow Jackets finished in double-figures, paced by 22 points from Lotta-Maj Lahtinen, 21 points from Lorela Cubaj and 14 points from Kierra Fletcher. Cubaj notched her fourth straight double-double behind 12 a game-high 12 rebounds. Tech is 0-1 when competing in the Sweet 16, having made its lone appearance in 2012, falling to No. 1 Baylor.

Georgia Tech NCAA Tournament History: Georgia Tech’s 2021 berth into the NCAA Tournament marks the 10th appearance by the Yellow Jackets. Tech made its first appearance in 1993, but would not return again until 2003. From 2007-2012, the Jackets made six consecutive NCAA Tournaments, highlighted by the program’s first-ever run to the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2012. Georgia Tech’s highest seeding in the NCAA Tournament has been No. 4 in 2012.

The Jackets have won four first round games dating back to 2007 and were 2-3 in the round of 32 entering the tournament. In Tech’s last NCAA Tournament in 2014, the Jackets fell to No. 7-seed LSU in the first round.

South Carolina Update: A No. 1 seed, South Carolina (24-4, 14-2 SEC) upended Mercer and Oregon State in the first two rounds to secure its seventh-straight appearance in the Sweet 16. The Gamecocks earned a No. 1 seed for the fifth time in the last seven tournaments and are guided by The Athletic National Player of the Year Aliyah Boston who is averaging 19.4 points and 11.8 rebounds per game in the SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament combined.