GTWBB 2022 (Off-season thread)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Looking for 6’5” Riley Stack to narrow these offers down, if she’s going to sign in November….
UNC Charlotte
La Salle
Michigan
Niagara
Oklahoma State
South Carolina
Tennessee
Winthrop
Georgia Tech
Ole Miss
UConn

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Can anyone attend these events? Can I watch Nicole when she's in Cincinnati?
I can’t vouch for “during coronageddon times” around the country, but in the Atlanta area- I’ve been allowed in the gyms. Was asked more than once if I was a college coach or some kind of scout or parent or recruiting guru? My response has been a simple, no. Planning to go see Brandon Clay’s Showcase in August. Won’t bring my adult son, since he gets bored. The players do sign in. They pay or are AAU sponsored, which typically involves travel too.

Gtbb99

Georgia Tech Fan

@Buzzbomb , why are we bringing in a plethora of guards, melious committed , Diana collins, Chloe kitts , Kymora Johnson and others all in same class? Makes no sense? They all can’t play at the same time for 4 years . Diana collins a role player spot up jump shooter, but then melious kitts Johnson and others ? What the hell does that mean . 5 out w 5 guards .

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
@Buzzbomb , why are we bringing in a plethora of guards, melious committed , Diana collins, Chloe kitts , Kymora Johnson and others all in same class? Makes no sense? They all can’t play at the same time for 4 years . Diana collins a role player spot up jump shooter, but then melious kitts Johnson and others ? What the hell does that mean . 5 out w 5 guards .
I’m not taking issue with anything you are saying. Excellent points.
Having said that, there are only a few explanations that I could come up with: 1)It’s a guards game primarily in WBB. Some teams like to play 3 and 4 guard sets, especially when the “Horns Set” allows you to post up smaller players while drawing a big out of the paint. 2)Really is a shortage of post players, that can ball. 3)We are recruiting some PF/C for 2023, although not as many that are fully qualified or expected to be for 2024.

Not that I have the answers, it’s just my own hypothesis. The folks on the other site have the same concerns that we do. Glad we have Jax and Cam to anchor the young ones for this coming season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am OK with that list of guards and wings. We aren't going to sign all of them (I hope we can get just one). But, have we offered any of them? I don't watch constantly, so I certainly could have missed something.

To answer part of your question, Collins is primarily a PG. Kitts is wing. If we get commitments from both, and keep Melious, they can easily play together.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
@orientalnc ; When @Gtbb99 mentioned those particular players, he was giving you an “A list” of G.T. offers. I’m fairly certain the first four pages or the previous thread, mentioned other guard offers such as Galloway, Grooms in future classes. He’s spot on that we concentrate primarily on the backcourt. My examples would be a Harpring, a Chastain, amother 2023 in Allen, a Wright, a Beckham, a Murphy, a Parker, a Monteagudo, a Garcia.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not sure if I mentioned this tidbit fact previously? All eight G.T. Female athletic programs made the NCAA Tournaments this past year.
And yesterday was the 50th anniversary of Title IX. It is not a mere coincidence that women in the 21st century are doing so well in college sports. Their moms were the 1st generation to see the beginnings of changes in how women and girls were treated. Those moms now expect their daughters will be given the same opportunities and get the same support as their sons. And smart moms also want to send their daughters to STEM schools where their career choices will be greater. I know Nell is promoting the hell out of that aspect.

Gtbb99

Georgia Tech Fan
I am OK with that list of guards and wings. We aren't going to sign all of them (I hope we can get just one). But, have we offered any of them? I don't watch constantly, so I certainly could have missed something.

To answer part of your question, Collins is primarily a PG. Kitts is wing. If we get commitments from both, and keep Melious, they can easily play together.
Melious is a pg? Kitts wing , Kymora and Collins guards but the recent 2022 kids . Why all guards

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Melious is a pg? Kitts wing , Kymora and Collins guards but the recent 2022 kids . Why all guards
I see your point (pun intended), but think Nicole will play the 2 in college and Collins the 1. I believe Nell is making offers to kids who can help the program. These young women, Kitts included, have a lot of offers, so we aren't going to sign all of them.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Nicole could play PG, although I think the plan would be to have her at the 2G.
Not that they consult me, nor do I have all the answers.
Kitts would bee the perfect compliment to Melious. She could play both, yet another super shooter and scorer.
Collins is a true PG. Johnson, better on the Wing.

Edited to say- @orientalnc, you are right in that Tech can’t sign everyone.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow

Is this a big concern? I know any player can flip, was just curious if there was any inside info on her maybe being poached.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with others who have said it's a guards game but I will also add that you never know what will happen a few years down the road with injuries, transfer portal, etc. We would have loved to see a few extra guards with skills available this year wouldn't we? The women's game has much more attrition now than in years past. You can do your best to evaluate and bring in players that you think are going to help you but they don't always pan out. To answer your original point I think you try to get commitments from as many talented players as you can and you hope that you can hang on to them but if a few leave you don't want to be left without any options. This year was just a freak show of coincidences that nobody could have predicted. Fletcher not being able to play all year and McQueen running off after just three games left us with a much different team than it was supposed to be. I'm sure Coach Nell knows what she's doing and is trying to put us in the best position to be successful. I also think there are things going on behind the scenes with regard to player development and recruiting that none of us are aware of so if coach wants 5 more guards on the team then I trust that's what we need.