GTWBB 2022 (Off-season thread)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
After the dead period which ends Sunday night, I believe that Ashuntee Weems commits to GT out of the Transfer Portal from Jax. St.- with 4 years to play 3, with no Covid extra season. Can play either Guard position.
——————————————————————————————————

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Lorela Cubaj signed a 3 year contract worth $200K. About $67K annually. I think all the GTWBB coaches are making more. Something is badly skewed in professional basketball.
The problem lies with the WNBA having such a low salary cap per team to keep the league financially viable. If you look at the Liberty's salaries you will find their five free agents all make six figures, while the rookies and players signed to draft contracts over the last few years are all making money similar to Lorela. Sabrina Ionesco, who is one of the best players in the league, is only making $71k per year since she remains on her rookie contract from a couple years ago. Rhyne Howard, this year's #1 pick in the WNBA draft is only making $72k per year. Once that contract is up she will be a free agent and join the other stars in making six figures. So the way the model is set up in the WNBA you have to prove your worth for a few years and then try to make a decent salary as a free agent. This is why you see so many players playing overseas in the offseason to try to augment their poor salaries.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The problem lies with the WNBA having such a low salary cap per team to keep the league financially viable. If you look at the Liberty's salaries you will find their five free agents all make six figures, while the rookies and players signed to draft contracts over the last few years are all making money similar to Lorela. Sabrina Ionesco, who is one of the best players in the league, is only making $71k per year since she remains on her rookie contract from a couple years ago. Rhyne Howard, this year's #1 pick in the WNBA draft is only making $72k per year. Once that contract is up she will be a free agent and join the other stars in making six figures. So the way the model is set up in the WNBA you have to prove your worth for a few years and then try to make a decent salary as a free agent. This is why you see so many players playing overseas in the offseason to try to augment their poor salaries.
Thanks. I had no idea how the WNBA salary caps worked.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Another thing to consider. Most WNBA players go overseas in the off-season. It’s not terrible money for a few months of work, in mostly 32 games. Many of the players have other jobs, and I’m not referring to being a Deputy Sheriff in the days of Ryan Klesko in SE Florida. Lorella is pretty smart, witnessed by being on the 2019-20 ACC Academic Honor Roll. An engineering firm such as Jordan, Jones & Goulding should hire her like they did Yvon Joseph.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
For my North Carolina friends(and thank God that Nicole’s cousins in Texas are safe, plus all the other residents)….