#GTvsUNC Postgame GT 21 - UNC 17

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We beat them last year.

I guess it was extremely surprising because we didn’t believe the QB play would be decent, though.

I also think there is some tendency of fans to think of these things as dependent rather than independent events. In other words. "there is no way we can win as a 20+ point road dog since we did that already at Pitt, it can't happen twice in the same season."

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s so hard right now to decide what to do about the coaching situation… I mean you have to root for key after tonight’s win and how he has been as a HC, but then you look at UVA game and Miami game, and you’re ready to move on.
The way I look at it, Virginia was Key's only really bad game. Miami was a lot closer than the score indicated. Take away two interceptions and we're right in there with them. The first interception was after Pyron was injured and a good throw would have tied the game. The second (the pick six) came after a long drive which coupled with the next drive on which we did score would once again have tied it. Not saying we should have won, but it could well have been a lot closer if you take just those two plays away.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great win! That may be the best coached game I've seen from GT in at least 5 years.
Both coordinators had good game plans and after slow starts , just stuck with them and eventually they really worked out.

Lady luck was shining on us when downs dropped that TD pass. The odds of that happening are so low.

The switch ups at QB worked like a charm and the offense did a great job of milking the clock all game.
Defense did a great job after that first play of not giving up any explosive plays and forcing UNC To play a style they really were uncomfortable with.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe this was posted earlier. I am too juiced right now and Woodford's is being mainlined.

What makes this even crazier: Georgia Tech’s school record for largest halftime lead surrendered in a loss was 17 vs. UNC in 1986. UNC’s quarterback that day was Mark Maye, father of Drake. Thanks to Andy Demetra via Twitter.

Last edited:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I'll eat my crow from the chat earlier. What a win! Defense killing it and we used the quarterbacks effectively. Gibson stepping up and delivering. Puma running around. Defense clutch. Nice win and some morsel of confidence heading into Athens.

Enjoying tonight's win!

The boys play well on the road. BEAT GEORGIA. THWG!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd also like to commend Key and his staff on 2 other items.

First, this will be the 3rd win by Key's program over a team that will finish the season with a winning record. That is 3 more than Collins managed in 3+ years.
Second, this is Key's 3rd road win, which matches how many road wins Collins had in 3+ years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'd also like to commend Key and his staff on 2 other items.

First, this will be the 3rd win by Key's program over a team that will finish the season with a winning record. That is 3 more than Collins managed in 3+ years.
Second, this is Key's 3rd road win, which matches how many road wins Collins had in 3+ years.
And I do believe, the two biggest point-spread upsets GT has pulled off since 1981 in Birmingham. In the same year. Two of them.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this was posted earlier. I am too juiced right now and Woodford's is being mainlined.

What makes this even crazier: Georgia Tech’s school record for largest halftime lead surrendered in a loss was 17 vs. UNC in 1986. UNC’s quarterback that day was Mark Maye, father of Drake. Thanks to Andy Demetra via Twitter.
What went around has come around.