#GTvsUNC Postgame GT 21 - UNC 17

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I also was super critical of the QB strategy in real time but switching to Phommachanh in the red zone, even while Gibson was riding the hot hand, was enormous.
It's like it kept UNC off balance. Key put Phommachanh in at mid-field, too, which I found curious, after Gibson was moving the ball. But it all worked out like he was a genius or something.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s so hard right now to decide what to do about the coaching situation… I mean you have to root for key after tonight’s win and how he has been as a HC, but then you look at UVA game and Miami game, and you’re ready to move on.

I hate that it’s under these circumstances. If key somehow gives the dwags a challenge next week and it’s close, then batt is going to have a real situation on his hands. These guys play hard for Key despite the the record/Season.

I have to say I was shocked when we kept Thacker and got rid of others, but I was totally wrong, it’s so obvious now that Collins was the problem as Thacker and the defense have been the best I’ve seen since Collins left since before PJ was here.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
It’s so hard right now to decide what to do about the coaching situation… I mean you can not root for key after tonight’s win and how he has been as a HC, but then you look at UVA game and Miami game, and you’re ready to move on.

I hate that it’s under these circumstances. If key somehow gives the dwags a challenge next week and it’s close, then batt is going to have a real situation on his hands. These guys play hard for Key despite the the record/Season.

I have to say I was shocked when we kept Thacker and got rid of others, but I was totally wrong, it’s so obvious now that Collins was the problem as Thacker and the defense have been the best I’ve seen since Collins left since before PJ was here.
Just remember that vs UVA & Miami, starting qbs went down. We stay healthy at that position and.......

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised that Tech had just about perfect balance between run and pass. I actually thought we had more rushing yards than we did. Also, UNC can point to two factors that help explain their loss. One was time of possession. Normally, that should not matter too much to a team used to scoring in bunches but nearly 9 minutes does matter to an underdog trying to get the game into the fourth quarter. The other was the sacks, 6 was a lot, and tackles for loss 12 altogether. Any offense would be deflated with those numbers.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree. That is a horrible defense and we only (barely) scored 21. BUT, our defense won us this game.
I have not seen UNC play this year but their defense must be pretty bad judging by the last possession when we got the first downs and they KNEW we were going to run the ball. How about that Hall reaching with the ball for the last first down?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Already been mentioned but I need to say it again one hell of a coaching job by our coaches. Something I noticed with our players was the "bama coaching philosophy of tough hard nosed FB to win it in the 4th qt, in this case the second half. Frankly I'm impressed as hell.
It appears to me that if we keep CBK and company and they keep who they want out of this bunch and can add some key pieces through the portal this could be a really good FB team next year depending on how the portal pickups contribute. Hope Kenyatta SR is doing what he was hired to do.
I know, we have to settle on our coach before what I'm saying has a chance to come together. Should not be long now I'm guessing.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
How about that!

Long and Thacker and rest of the coaching staff did an excellent job preparing the kids for this game, under Key’s leadership.

Kudos to Key for letting Long and Thacker call the plays for their respective units.

I’m very proud of the kids for following their coaches’ instructions. You just got to believe … and they did.

J Batt’s job just got a lot more difficult.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Already been mentioned but I need to say it again one hell of a coaching job by our coaches. Something I noticed with our players was the "bama coaching philosophy of tough hard nosed FB to win it in the 4th qt, in this case the second half. Frankly I'm impressed as hell.
It appears to me that if we keep CBK and company and they keep who they want out of this bunch and can add some key pieces through the portal this could be a really good FB team next year depending on how the portal pickups contribute. Hope Kenyatta SR is doing what he was hired to do.
I know, we have to settle on our coach before what I'm saying has a chance to come together. Should not be long now I'm guessing.
I honestly do not know what I would do in his shoes. Well, its about time to put on the big boy britches and make the call. FWIW