#GTvsDUKE Postgame

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How about the last one where they let the same WR get behind them to lose the game?
I still don't understand why Duke didn't just play prevent D. Playing man to man just seemed like a losing strategy (and it was a losing strategy). Playing prevent, forcing clock usage and letting us try to make a kick to tie seems like a better strat in my ignorant opinion.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA’s defensive lineman will be in our backfield nearly fast enough to intercept the shotgun snap. I don’t think we have a prayer against them this year. Remember, building this program to the level at which it can beat the #1 team in the country, if possible, is not a fast process.

Think about how long it took Dabo to build Clemson to where it is (this season’s record excluded), and he started with much more overall talent to match his system.

Best case scenario, in my opinion, we beat a #1 team by 2025. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. But it starts with road wins against a well-coached conference opponent like what happened today.

We can still get there, but expectations need to be realistic. That said, what’s the good word?!? How bout them dawgs?!?

34-28 IM CALLIN IT

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So, now that I've slept and calmed down a bit...

It was really ugly, but I'm really happy we were able to get out of there with a win.

Defense played well at times and not so well at times. I'd say Duke's kicker bailed us out, but only one of those two misses was that bad. It's not uncommon to miss a 42 yard field goal, but missing that one from 30 yards was bad. So the defense gave up 27, but felt more like 30. That's probably not good enough to beat most teams on our schedule given the offensive issues we've got right now.

Offense was a mess for most of the game. I've seen many say Jeff looked lights out to start, but I'm not sure that's an accurate assessment. The TD to Gibbs was a flat out blown coverage...credit to Jeff for seeing it and making the throw, but I think it's fair to say that just about any QB in college football hits Gibbs for that TD. The scramble and pass to Carter on the second drive was nice to setup the TD - and I LOVED SEEING US LINE UP UNDER CENTER TO PUNCH IT IN. Jeff looked pretty bad most of the rest of the game. He throws off his back foot too much and he's got to stop turning the damn ball over. To his credit, he made some big throws at critical times. The TD pass to McGowan was an awesome throw, and his passes to Sanders on the final drive were big (though he still threw off his back foot on the TD pass...amazing how far it went).

I can't believe we couldn't score with 1st down at the 13. The inability to run is probably due to the O line issues, but that third down call was pathetic. What was Gibbs going to do if he caught the ball at the 5 standing still? I've watched it about 10 times and it looks like that was his first read. Bad play call in my opinion - and this is the sort of thing that frustrates me about our OC. It's not the general plays we run, but strange calls in certain situations.

Glad we got to win. Duke bailed us out a bit, but the same could be said about us even letting them get back in the game. In the end we won. Lots to clean up - hopefully the O line can get healthy before we head to Charlottesville.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So, now that I've slept and calmed down a bit...

It was really ugly, but I'm really happy we were able to get out of there with a win.

Defense played well at times and not so well at times. I'd say Duke's kicker bailed us out, but only one of those two misses was that bad. It's not uncommon to miss a 42 yard field goal, but missing that one from 30 yards was bad. So the defense gave up 27, but felt more like 30. That's probably not good enough to beat most teams on our schedule given the offensive issues we've got right now.

Offense was a mess for most of the game. I've seen many say Jeff looked lights out to start, but I'm not sure that's an accurate assessment. The TD to Gibbs was a flat out blown coverage...credit to Jeff for seeing it and making the throw, but I think it's fair to say that just about any QB in college football hits Gibbs for that TD. The scramble and pass to Carter on the second drive was nice to setup the TD - and I LOVED SEEING US LINE UP UNDER CENTER TO PUNCH IT IN. Jeff looked pretty bad most of the rest of the game. He throws off his back foot too much and he's got to stop turning the damn ball over. To his credit, he made some big throws at critical times. The TD pass to McGowan was an awesome throw, and his passes to Sanders on the final drive were big (though he still threw off his back foot on the TD pass...amazing how far it went).

I can't believe we couldn't score with 1st down at the 13. The inability to run is probably due to the O line issues, but that third down call was pathetic. What was Gibbs going to do if he caught the ball at the 5 standing still? I've watched it about 10 times and it looks like that was his first read. Bad play call in my opinion - and this is the sort of thing that frustrates me about our OC. It's not the general plays we run, but strange calls in certain situations.

Glad we got to win. Duke bailed us out a bit, but the same could be said about us even letting them get back in the game. In the end we won. Lots to clean up - hopefully the O line can get healthy before we head to Charlottesville.
Can we please please please win two games in a row? I think it would do wonders for our team and fan psyche.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but what about Sims getting out of bounds with a first down to boot when he was forced to scramble early on the final drive? It was a big play. If he gets tackled back there with no timeouts, we're toast. And was that McGowan who found the sideline on a pass play over the middle? Again, a clutch play. That whole final drive was clutch, as was the stop our D got to get the ball back. It was a clutch performance in a game we had to have.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but what about Sims getting out of bounds with a first down to boot when he was forced to scramble early on the final drive? It was a big play. If he gets tackled back there with no timeouts, we're toast. And was that McGowan who found the sideline on a pass play over the middle? Again, a clutch play. That whole final drive was clutch, as was the stop our D got to get the ball back. It was a clutch performance in a game we had to have.

That last sequence we did in fact look like we had practiced it and everyone knew what to do. The fumble OOB by Gibbs was fortuitous but every game contains a dozen or more of those 'what if" moments. Their fumbled punt and recovery for a touchback is another perfect example of a play that could have gone either way.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
After watching the condensed game, Sims best throw may have been the seam route to Carter. He threw it before he broke to the ball, while a defender was inside of him. Followed it by dropping it in the bucket to McGowan in the corner.
Everyone will remember the Sanders drive for the win, but that drive tied 17-17 really showed what sims can do when he’s on.

GTBlaze

Banned
I just don’t like how we don’t bring the juice every game. We always look flat and the team just doesn’t want to be there playing a football game

That’s on the coaches in my opinion