#GTvsCLEM Postgame

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
When I am watching the replay on the ESPN website, there is no sound. I log in with my YouTubeTV account and all the YouTube videos have sound. Is anyone else having this problem?
No problem for me. I did the same thing yesterday. My only disappointment was that I couldn’t get it to cast to my TV. Good luck.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on both counts as it relates to this game. Clemson is not going to be a good team to option against for the reason you stated. But, the spacing on the option was terrible. Once the pitch guy was only about ten feet from the QB and had a defender right in his face. That play lost about five yards and would have been about the same if Yates had kept the ball.
Ideally I think I remember the spacing is four yards behind and four yards outside the QB. The tricky part is getting the defense to cooperate.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Ideally I think I remember the spacing is four yards behind and four yards outside the QB. The tricky part is getting the defense to cooperate.
On this play the pitch guy started less than 3 yards outside the QB and he either delayed or miss stepped and got a really bad start and when it came time to pitch he was almost directly behind the QB, not 4 yards ahead. In addition the speedy Clemson D was forcing the QB to run full speed to stay alive and the played was doomed.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
On this play the pitch guy started less than 3 yards outside the QB and he either delayed or miss stepped and got a really bad start and when it came time to pitch he was almost directly behind the QB, not 4 yards ahead. In addition the speedy Clemson D was forcing the QB to run full speed to stay alive and the played was doomed.
Apropos of nothing except it gives a chance to remember: anybody ever see a better option QB than Tevin Washington? It was his whole skill set. When he was hit he went down. When he threw it was an adventure in wild duckdom, and he could not outrun a tractor pull. But the option .....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Apropos of nothing except it gives a chance to remember: anybody ever see a better option QB than Tevin Washington? It was his whole skill set. When he was hit he went down. When he threw it was an adventure in wild duckdom, and he could not outrun a tractor pull. But the option .....

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Skeptic, I have been thinking all week that Yates reminds me of Tevin. My memory was a pretty good runner, but nothing special. God at deciding where the ball should go. Weak arm but got better every year and by the end could throw an accurate, catchable pass. Not Justin Thomas, but someone who got us a lot of wins.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Skeptic, I have been thinking all week that Yates reminds me of Tevin. My memory was a pretty good runner, but nothing special. God at deciding where the ball should go. Weak arm but got better every year and by the end could throw an accurate, catchable pass. Not Justin Thomas, but someone who got us a lot of wins.
Successful QBs distribute the ball. Nesbitt, Tevin, and JT all did that effectively. Yates does too.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Successful QBs distribute the ball. Nesbitt, Tevin, and JT all did that effectively. Yates does too.
Josh Nesbitt is in my top five all time favorite GT players. I loved his talent and, especially, his desire to win. Tevin not so much. He was a good guy and in the 2012 season took us (with a 6-6 record) to the ACCCG against FSU. But 2012 was not a great year for us and the biggest deal was the anticipation of Vad Lee becoming our starting QB. Justin Thomas may have been the best athlete (other than #21) to ever wear white & gold.

All that said, the offense we ran in those years required a much different skill set than the spread offenses of 2021 and none of them would be my choice today.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for the link. I could do without the background racket, which sounds something between rap and a hog calling, but that brought back a lot of memories and names from the past.
Josh Nesbitt is in my top five all time favorite GT players. I loved his talent and, especially, his desire to win. Tevin not so much. He was a good guy and in the 2012 season took us (with a 6-6 record) to the ACCCG against FSU. But 2012 was not a great year for us and the biggest deal was the anticipation of Vad Lee becoming our starting QB. Justin Thomas may have been the best athlete (other than #21) to ever wear white & gold.

All that said, the offense we ran in those years required a much different skill set than the spread offenses of 2021 and none of them would be my choice today.
What they refer to as an option is really option light. And Lee found his level at James Madison.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
They honestly didn't even need to sneak it. Instead of taking the delay of game, the QB could have snapped it and kneed it right away. That would have been the game too.
This. People are all like "what do you mean Clem's son played badly?" And this is the trivially easy answer. They could have lined up in victory formation and ended the game. Instead they got a safety and almost let us come back in the last 15 seconds.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This. People are all like "what do you mean Clem's son played badly?" And this is the trivially easy answer. They could have lined up in victory formation and ended the game. Instead they got a safety and almost let us come back in the last 15 seconds.

And worse than that almost happened. Since they fumbled in the end zone, the possibility that we recovered for a TD existed. The smartest move would have been to do a time eating safety then kick it off.

Edit to add: Where the ball was spotted precluded a victory formation without a safety.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And worse than that almost happened. Since they fumbled in the end zone, the possibility that we recovered for a TD existed. The smartest move would have been to do a time eating safety then kick it off.

Edit to add: Where the ball was spotted precluded a victory formation without a safety.
I agree with the edit. When CU took over on downs they were on the 2 yard line. I think a QB sneak would have been a safe call there, but the delay penalty put them back to the one. At that point a QB sneak was still a safe option. The real problem was lining up in the shotgun. I do not think a victory formation was ever a legit option. Does Clemson ever play with the QB under center?

IMO the Clemson coaches had never expected to be in that situation against GT and the thought process to decide what they would do was just not fleshed out. When you are 28 point favorites against a team you scored 73 points against in 2020, fighting for your life at the gun is not a high planning priority.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I think the assessment of Tevin is a little unfair. We scored a ton of points in 2011 and 2012…in fact they were some of CPJ’s most efficient offenses. The biggest problem those years was that our defense was about as useful as a wet paper bag. We got torched all of the place during those two seasons and it made it difficult to win consistently even when we were able to score. The points we gave up given the limited possessions are pretty incredible.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the assessment of Tevin is a little unfair. We scored a ton of points in 2011 and 2012…in fact they were some of CPJ’s most efficient offenses. The biggest problem those years was that our defense was about as useful as a wet paper bag. We got torched all of the place during those two seasons and it made it difficult to win consistently even when we were able to score. The points we gave up given the limited possessions are pretty incredible.
I can’t stand people ragging on Tevin. He was incredibly efficient. I remember him coming out in the pistol against VT and moving Tech regularly down the field but defense kept putting us in a hole over and over.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not just with Patenaude but with virtually all nouns and verbs. Between autocorrect, typos and sneakiness these threads get unintelligible. 😜
I understand your point, but derogatory nicknames are not typos or autocorrect. I do not think the mods should have to repeatedly insist that the team and coaches, plus other members of the GTSwarm forum, be treated with respect. Name calling and profanity when referring to others is not acceptable in face to face conversations and cannot be acceptable here either.