#GTvsCLEM Postgame

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think that is what CPJ's offense was really good at doing. He wanted to put the defense at a disadvantage in those 1:1 situations by forcing the defensive player to commit first, thereby giving the offense an advantage. That, and he was a genius at spotting weak spots in the defense and making adjustments to exploit them.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If the play had been a little later developing the TE might have been able to run through an arm tackle or with a better block at the point of attack but their guy made a play. That's football. We had 3 plays before that one to execute and couldn't get it done. Disappointed for the kids. They played hard all game. That holding call that reversed a TD was absolute B.S.. They could call holding on every single play now in college football. Even the TV announcers disagreed with that call on the replay. That should have been a touchdown.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Btw, how bad did Yates look running the option out there? I cringed...
There were two problems with our option play. Clemson D. The pitch guy/QB relationship was poor (pitch guy was not far enough outside). Option against Clemson speed may rarely work and with that poor of a pitch guy/QB relationship it will never work.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Correct. And what happens when you win a 1:1 matchup? You get a numbers advantage! What a concept!
Paul Johnson made a living on winning 1:1 matchups down the field. Even with Tevin Washington throwing the ball: get 1:1 and go make a play. Clemson's blowout of Alabama in the NC game is a great example. Their WRs won matchups all over the field.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There were two problems with our option play. Clemson D. The pitch guy/QB relationship was poor (pitch guy was not far enough outside). Option against Clemson speed may rarely work and with that poor of a pitch guy/QB relationship it will never work.
I agree with you on both counts as it relates to this game. Clemson is not going to be a good team to option against for the reason you stated. But, the spacing on the option was terrible. Once the pitch guy was only about ten feet from the QB and had a defender right in his face. That play lost about five yards and would have been about the same if Yates had kept the ball.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think that is what CPJ's offense was really good at doing. He wanted to put the defense at a disadvantage in those 1:1 situations by forcing the defensive player to commit first, thereby giving the offense an advantage. That, and he was a genius at spotting weak spots in the defense and making adjustments to exploit them.
They threw those quick out passes until the safeties cheated up to stop first downs and then went flying down the field.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
After giving it a couple of days, I have a few observations regarding last Saturdays game.

1. We finally played up to our potential. I have to credit the entire coaching staff on this one. We came in well prepared and properly schemed to make this a ball game. Kudos to the staff.
2. Yates is a solid starting QB. While he does not have the high ceiling Sims does, he also does not have the low floor of Sims either. I would not be shocked to see Sims starting again down the road, but Yates has earned his moment.
3. We really need to get Dontae Smith more than 1-2 touches a game in these bigger matchups.
4. Charlie Thomas is a stud, and the LB is a position of strength on the D right now.
5. CDP has given Yates a roadmap to success in this offense with his play calling. I am feeling much better about the OC so far this season.
6. Clemson may have regressed more than we'd like to admit after a game like this, but that still takes nothing away from our game plan or efforts on the field.

While losing was a disappointment, this game can go a long way towards building the goodwill CGC is going to need from the fan base. I don't want to put an arbitrary number of wins out there for this season as a measuring stick, but if we're going to lose, we need to look like we belong on the same field with most of our opponents. Saturday was such a game. I think we can still pull 4-5 wins from this season, and with a little luck maybe even 6 or 7.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing stands out for me as totally different from recent Clemson games. Clemson hit no big pass plays. Seems to me you could always count on some wide open Clemson receivers down the field and the QB hitting them. This time even when a receiver was open, we had a man close to make a tackle. Plus for whatever reason I can't remember them throwing a fly pattern even once.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I am watching the replay on the ESPN website, there is no sound. I log in with my YouTubeTV account and all the YouTube videos have sound. Is anyone else having this problem?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
One thing stands out for me as totally different from recent Clemson games. Clemson hit no big pass plays. Seems to me you could always count on some wide open Clemson receivers down the field and the QB hitting them. This time even when a receiver was open, we had a man close to make a tackle. Plus for whatever reason I can't remember them throwing a fly pattern even once.
Yep, their longest play from scrimmage was 19 yards I believe, D did a good job not letting any get past them.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

A LOT of that was because of the defense we played. We rushed 3 DL and dropped 8 into coverage. We dared Clemson to run the ball by taking away the big play passing game. One of the head scratchers for me is why Clemson didn't try more power running and attempt to pound it down our throats.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Augusta, I think Clemson's linemen have for some time been better at pass protection than opening holes for backs. I think their ground game success is more because of the talent of their backs. Seems to me too they typically run the ball just enough to remind you that they might. Meanwhile, the pass is their meal ticket.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta, I think Clemson's linemen have for some time been better at pass protection than opening holes for backs. I think their ground game success is more because of the talent of their backs. Seems to me too they typically run the ball just enough to remind you that they might. Meanwhile, the pass is their meal ticket.

No doubt. I said in another thread that the loss of Etienne was perhaps as big for them as the loss of Lawrence.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
If the play had been a little later developing the TE might have been able to run through an arm tackle or with a better block at the point of attack but their guy made a play. That's football. We had 3 plays before that one to execute and couldn't get it done. Disappointed for the kids. They played hard all game. That holding call that reversed a TD was absolute B.S.. They could call holding on every single play now in college football. Even the TV announcers disagreed with that call on the replay. That should have been a touchdown.
Did he take it in? I thought he was out around the 8 yard line or so. It just pulled us back. We still would’ve had to
Punch it in.