#GTvsCLEM Postgame

slugboy

Staff member
Clemson has some impressive players on their defense, and were getting into the backfield. Some of those blitzes were brutal.

On our side, Charlie Thomas, Juanyeh Thomas, Jared Ivey, and Jaylon King all got tackles for loss.

We got a SAFETY. I gotta take my hat off to the defense.

TackTackTackTackTack
PlayerSchoolSoloAstTotLossVSk
LaVonta BentleyClemson67132.51.0
Bryan BreseeClemson2242.01.5
Charlie ThomasGeorgia Tech48121.00.0
Juanyeh ThomasGeorgia Tech2571.00.0
Jared IveyGeorgia Tech2021.00.0
Jaylon KingGeorgia Tech1011.00.0
K.J. HenryClemson0221.00.5
Ruke OrhorhoroClemson2240.50.0
Trenton SimpsonClemson2240.50.5
Tre WilliamsClemson1120.50.0
Myles MurphyClemson0110.50.0
Xavier ThomasClemson0110.50.5

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/19/2021.

We got two fumbles. That’s some disruption on D:
TackTackTackTackTackFumbFumbFumbFumb
PlayerSchoolSoloAstTotLossSkFRVYdsTDFF
Myles SimsGeorgia Tech1010.00.010
Quez JacksonGeorgia Tech3470.00.01
Juanyeh ThomasGeorgia Tech2571.00.01

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/19/2021.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Someone posted in another thread (or earlier in this one) that Choice was in his face for missing blocks. I do not know if that is true, but it would be a good reason to let him know there is more to the game than carrying the football.

But, my thought is the Clemson D manhandled him on several plays and Mason is a bigger back. Maybe their D forced Choice to give Gibbs fewer touches.

Choice had a very loud conversation with Gibbs at the timeout after the 2nd and goal at the end. He was standing 2 feet from Gibbs, but facing the other direction and pointing at someone else...but he was definitely talking to Gibbs. Then when the conversation continued, Choice faced Gibbs directly and continued.

I have no idea if it was about "missing blocks" or about Gibbs protesting coming out of the game - or something else entirely?

It it were me, Gibbs is in the game at the end and we find a way to get him the ball in space.

/

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I will say.. I liked the 3-3-5 stack defense as a whole overall if we have Zeek in there from now on... Totally different defense overall and might work on all spread teams moving forward.

Probably the biggest leap I've seen from Thacker so far. Was impressed in the scheme change.
Seeing Zeke push up the middle was a thing of Beauty to see as a Tech fan😂

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is the end of our game. A couple of things to notice. First, #47 made a great play to duck under the block and make the stop on the shuttle pass. He is a great player and great players make plays. Second, on two consecutive plays in the final minutes you can see Gibbs missing blocks. Again, Clemson has great defensive players and Gibbs is probably not a great blocker in the best of times.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, really proud of our guys. You hate to lose any game, regardless of how much of an underdog we are. However, you see clear improvement in our team that we didn't see from last year to the NIU game. Our defense battled and gave our offense a chance. The offense needs to make the most of our opportunities...especially in the red zone. That was difference. Clemson took advantage of their opportunities in the RZ, we did not. Against a team like Clemson, we should have schemed some pick plays in the RZ or line up our two best OLs and have one of our RBs run behind them.

IMO, the other difference was Clemson's yards after contact. Our guys would get to the ball carrier, but it seemed like 2-3 of our defenders would fail to bring the ball carrier down and Clemson would get more yards after contact to keep the chains moving. We had them stopped several times only for them to extend the possession because we just could not tackle. This isn't just a CGC defense problem, we've had this issue going back years now.

The better QB on the night was playing for us. Yates is just a baller and outplayed 5 star DJ. I wrote in his recruiting thread that Yates had that "something" that certain QBs like Russell Wilson have. The ability to extend plays, and keep the chains moving. Very savvy. He had a few questionable decisions, but you can live with that because he seems to learn from them. Will be interesting to see how this plays out the rest of the year because this is starting to turn into Yates's team...

Someone get on the bat line and tell Choice and Patenaude that you need to find a way to get Dontae the ball. He was the only player on our team that could turn the corner on Clemson because of his speed. IMO, he's almost a hybrid of Mason and Gibbs with more speed. Smith has surprising power, with the all purpose game of Gibbs. We need a way to scheme more touches for him.

Kyric McGowan. We heard a lot of good things about him during camp, and he showed glimpses of his skillset the first two games against NIU and KSU...but the real test was against P5 competition. Consider Kyric McGowan proven. He was open so many more times than Yates actually found him. So savvy in his ability to get open.

Still no sacks from our defense. We had opportunities to get a few but we need to work on bringing the ball carrier down.

What an absolute beast of a game by Charlie Thomas and Tariq Carpenter. When I see Charlie Thomas, I actually see the potential of what Tariq would be in that role. Tariq is faster and more athletic than Thomas...and I shake my head that we would have two guys with similar impact each game.

As much crap as we gave our coaches against NIU, let's man up and give them credit for the gameplan against Clemson. By far the best coached game by our staff...even if it was a loss.

Hopefully we can build on this and get a few more wins than predicted, which would give us a real shot at a bowl game.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Further Game Thoughts:

Offense / Special Teams

We had some success running the ball on the perimeter when we got the ball out there quick and when we got the ball to Dante. Some folks asked why Dontae isn’t in there more and my guess is blocking. Possibly he does not run with as much power as Gibbs/Mason as well between the tackles.

All that said, I thought we could have done more with the success we had on the quick perimeter. First, we could have done it a little more. Clemson is no fool and would have responded to when Dante is in there and we are telegraphing the quick outside run. That leads me to #2: off quick outside run action we possibly could have tried bootleg/reverse action.

To be my own devil’s advocate, such plays are tempting fate against a D like Clemson’s. Also the few plays I watched on the condensed game the backside it appeared well-disciplined and guys stayed at home/ stayed square. But I wonder if on the goal line some sort of outside run boot action to a guy in the flats with option to run could have worked.

Folks said our play calling at the goal line was bad. On the other hand no one has scored an offensive touchdown vs Clemson this year and a good defense gets a lift in the redzone by having less field to protect. Mason’s a threat downhill and Dante is a threat wide so I thought something off that action might have worked.

All in all we outgained Clemson so it’s hard for me to fault play calling. I thought we did some rather clever things.

Punting:

Missed Harvin this game. The new kid needs time to develop obviously. His rugby punts didn’t seem to roll and his punts to pin folks deep seemed to roll massively into the end zone. However I am spoiled by Harvin and our tr-fr had never played in a live game until this season. Protection and coverage where pretty good I thought.

PK:

I thought the statements that things had not improved after NIU were overblown while also respecting the fact that it appeared to be a continuance of a trend. The last two games we have made all our FGs and protected well.

KO:

Stewart is good kicking off, period. Touchbacks and an onside kick that took the perfect high bounce. Will be interesting when Cigmalia leaves to see if Stewart can add accuracy to the cannon of a leg he has. Note the P/PK recruit we have verballed can also kick the daylights out of the ball.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the other difference was Clemson's yards after contact. Our guys would get to the ball carrier, but it seemed like 2-3 of our defenders would fail to bring the ball carrier down and Clemson would get more yards after contact to keep the chains moving. We had them stopped several times only for them to extend the possession because we just could not tackle. This isn't just a CGC defense problem, we've had this issue going back years now.
I may be wrong, but it seemed that was happening more toward the end of the game than the beginning. They weren't breaking tackles so much as just pushing the tackler(s) back. Fatigue?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If it’s any consolation to anyone, Clemson fans are sick of Dabo’s sunshine post game. Sound familiar? 😂
Yeah the Clemson folks that I know where loosing their damn minds yesterday. So we did something right. Dabo thinks they can get the QB situation corrected , but fans think it's way more than that

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Further Game Thoughts Defense:

A lot to say about the defensive line

1. No Keion White still sucks. This guy had a ton of TFLs and is the kind of big, fully developed guy you need against Clemson. Could have been a difference maker shutting down Clemson’s run IMO. Also missed sorely vs NIU along with AC Clayton. I hope he is better/up to full speed soon. Fortunately we get him for two seasons.
  2. Also MIA were Akelo Stone and TK Chimedza. Hope they get better soon.
  3. After watching condensed game Jared Ivey appears to be emerging. Ivey and Jaquon Griffin IMO did not show up big in the stat sheet but were very disruptive.
  4. It looked like Clemson schemed Jordan Domineck.
  5. Brooks was in there battling. I saw some ugly plays from him but I also saw some good plays. He is very serviceable and for him to be a walk on and be as good as he is, well, I am very grateful he chose to come back.
  6. Depth! Clearly Clemson pounded on us and was hoping to wear us down. Despite being down White, Stone, & Chimedza we rolled in a bunch of guys many of whom were both young but very well-regarded recruits. They kept the intensity up.
  7. It was great to see Biggers body slam their RB. It’s good to be the bully for once. He logged 2 solos and looks like a huge recruiting win…both through early identification and holding off factories late. Guy can really move at his size.
  8. Hope Lockhart is ok. Anyone know if he came back in the game.
  9. Our DL has a future. A lot of young talent developing, 2 x 4-star DT’s coming in. You can see the ability to play big boy football and bully some people is coming. Still need to win more 1-on-1 battles and get to the QB, but IMO will come with development.

LBs:
  1. Ayinde’s stat sheet was decent, however I saw him miss a few run fits. IMO he is very well-prepared but on the plays I saw he was not particularly instinctual. Can’t grade him overall, just an observation.
  2. Charlie Thomas dynamic playmaker. Quez played like Quez plays. Nice to see Knight out there for a few snaps. Dude can run. Wonder if he could be a bully possession receiver who blocks his tail off. Just a random thought.
  3. All-in-all a decent showing. Did not notice Tatum out there.

DBs:
  1. Thought interference call on Wesley Walker was ticky-tack/bang-bang. Ever so slightly early and didn’t turn his head. Another strong game for Walker.
  2. Carpenter played tough and physical in racking up 9 solos. Would have liked to see him chop down DJ rather than hitting him high when DJ converted that third and long. Too bad on the targeting call.
  3. Tobias Oliver came up big on a well-timed pass break up. Great to see him make a big play like that on the kind of crossing route that has bedeviled us since forever. Nice to have a DB who can close like that.
  4. Noticed aggressive play by King, particularly on a nice TFL.
  5. Clemson didn’t hit anything downfield of significant length. There was no late game swoon in the secondary.

Overall good effort. Third and long remains a problem.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This question was probably already asked but I cant find it. After the safety and free kick, why didn’t Gibbs try to run 20 or 30 yards and then fall down before the clock expired? This could’ve gotten us close enough for a Hail Mary. The clock was at 7 seconds and it doesn’t start running until he touches the ball, right? This seems like a better use of a few seconds but I may be missing something.

BTW, I’m not complaining. Great game.