#GTvsCLEM Postgame

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I knew we had the talent on the field to compete with Clem. Our guys stepped up and played hard against a top team in their house. with all kinds of adverse conditions thrown in. Yet they still fought to the end. That onside kick was perfectly executed.

Play calling and clock management is still horrible. Nothing I saw changed my mind on that.
What play calls specifically didn’t you like?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
The guy I want to see with more touches is Dontae Smith. I can't escape the feeling that he is our best running back all things considered. Which is saying a lot because Gibbs and mason are both quality backs. But I think DS is the guy not getting enough touches, not JG.
seems like some flares to him at the edge, with receivers blocking in front of him, lets him do his things: read blocks, then accelerate. Seems like an easy 6-10 yards.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Only to my administrative assistants. By the way, I take my coffee black, and no sprinkles on my donuts...If you can get that right, I might think about writing an article about our former get-bak coach…

I found something weird when I looked up the definition of 'sociopath'. It was a picture of you. Weird, right? Or maybe not.

:unsure:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts:

Overall proud of the team. Losing sucks, but this is one to build on.

Hats off to the defense. Best game they’ve play under Collins. If we put up that kind of performance every game we will be hard to beat. Loved seeing Biggers get a TFL. Good lord that’s a big man!

Offense moved the ball well at times. Shot themselves in the foot with penalties too often that made it impossible to move the sticks. OC is still not creative enough in his personnel sets or play calls IMO. We definitely had them on the ropes but it felt like we were playing for a close loss most of the game! This is our biggest weakness, IMO. We need to be more flexible with our sets and play calling. Oklahoma today ran I formation under center from the goal line. Why can’t we do that and still be a pro offense? We definitely have the personnel for it!

Our clock management continues to be an absolute joke. Grade is an F! Rushing the play at the end of Q1, the pace on the drive in Q4, the final timeout at the goal line…when will this guy get a clue about this stuff?!?!?!?

Overall this game won’t linger with me. I wish we’d one, but we played well. That said, I still have concerns about our future. I think we are A OK ok defense, but Im not confident in our OC or our ability to manage a close game. This is troublesome given the impact these areas have on our overall success as a program.

We kind of have of must win against uNC Saturday…going 1-3 wouldn’t instill much faith in the staff IMO
The issue we have is our O line is no where close to meting able to handle Clemson’s D line and blitzing LBs. Going 4 wide gives Yates about 2.5 seconds. Our receivers don’t uncover that quickly. Same issue with a hurry up offense. We just can’t do it well enough on the O line. We had a chance at the end to score and tie the game. Until we get better on the O line we will struggle regardless of any play call. No holes and no time for the QB or receivers makes it hard to score.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t in love with the red zone play calling, but if we make the right block on the shuffle pass, we still score, so I won’t fret too much.

The one thing that still really bothered me was clock management. Again, thanks to the onside kick it almost worked perfectly, but it was really frustrating watching us milk the clock down two scores in the fourth quarter.

Aside from that, I really don’t think there’s much negative to say offensively. Yeah, the offense was still ugly. However, this is a defense that hasn’t allowed a TD all year. We scored more offensive points on them than UGA did. I feel like this defense is going to make every offense they play look ugly this year. We did what we could: stay relaxed, execute, don’t turn the ball over and play field position to give yourself a chance at the end.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I wanted Gibbs to return it as far as he can and then put in Simms to launch it to the endzone last play.

slugboy

Staff member
If Gibbs returns the ball, he has to get out of bounds with time on the clock. A return probably ends the game.

We needed to be able to zip the ball 30-40 yards downfield on an out, which needs a ton of arm strength.

Noticed the same against KSU (granted it WAS KSu) but Biggers just stood his man up and pushed him straight backwards. Haven't really seen that from an interior DL since Gotsis. Those plays do catch your attention. I am excited about his future. And speaking of DT's, does anyone have better than Clemson?
Maybe even longer than that since Gotsis was a DE that we moved to DT because we just didn’t have anyone to fill that role.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw Zeke Biggers have a huge push up the middle one play. It was amazing to see push you the middle on our d line. Can’t say I’ve seen that in at least ten years. (WSG 123)

I saw one play where we had a nose tackle lined up who was roughly the dimensions of a Kodiak bear. He shot through the line and grabbed the back in his paws, then threw him down like a bear throwing a child. His long hair covered the name on his jersey, but I take it that was Biggers?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw Zeke Biggers have a huge push up the middle one play. It was amazing to see push you the middle on our d line. Can’t say I’ve seen that in at least ten years. (WSG 123)

I saw one play where we had a nose tackle lined up who was roughly the dimensions of a Kodiak bear. He shot through the line and grabbed the back in his paws, then threw him down like a bear throwing a child. His long hair covered the name on his jersey, but I take it that was Biggers?
That was Biggers. If he can continue to make contributions like that, he may be ATL the rest of the season and become a part of the regular DT gameday rotation.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If Gibbs returns the ball, he has to get out of bounds with time on the clock. A return probably ends the game.
I’m assuming he runs a 4.5 40. Give him a second to catch the ball, he could have run about 30-40 yds before we got in trouble. He probably could have gotten to the 45-50 before he needed to take a dive because of contact. We played for 2 plays after the fair catch. It’s about the same position, maybe 5-10 yds less than Gibbs running. I’d have put my money on Gibbs and hope somehow he saw daylight and took it to the house, but it’s not like the call was a really dumb move.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m assuming he runs a 4.5 40. Give him a second to catch the ball, he could have run about 30-40 yds before we got in trouble. He probably could have gotten to the 45-50 before he needed to take a dive because of contact. We played for 2 plays after the fair catch. It’s about the same position, maybe 5-10 yds less than Gibbs running. I’d have put my money on Gibbs and hope somehow he saw daylight and took it to the house, but it’s not like the call was a really dumb move.

pretty much exactly what I was thinking. They outkicked the coverage, so he'd have 15 yards before he saw a Clemps player. From there, he could do his thing. I actually thought that, due to the extra real estate to work in, he might have a shot at taking that one back. He'd just have to know that if it's not there, go out of bounds around mid field.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree, we don’t have the offense or personnel to drive that distance in 7 seconds but Gibbs could have picked up 20 to to 30 yds on the return. I still don’t think Yates had the arm for a Hail Mary even from the tech 45 but I have to think we have one or two who do on the bench.

Either way that isn’t the play that changed the game. We just need to finish drives better.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
OK, a new day.

We were at the 3 with 34 seconds to go and 1st down. (and we had 2 timeouts left) I believe you try running Jordan the 1st 2 plays of that situation. One thing the whole game taught me is that running plays horizontally against that D was futile, but we did it the first 2 plays anyway. After the 1st down incompletion, I would have taken 2 runs from Jordan (by the way, they have to be quick hitting, not slow developing runs) on 2nd and 3rd downs. We did ONE run with Jordan on 3rd down, and he got about half of the yardage we needed. Our RBs are our strength on O, and I just think you live and die with that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t in love with the red zone play calling, but if we make the right block on the shuffle pass, we still score, so I won’t fret too much.

The one thing that still really bothered me was clock management. Again, thanks to the onside kick it almost worked perfectly, but it was really frustrating watching us milk the clock down two scores in the fourth quarter.

Aside from that, I really don’t think there’s much negative to say offensively. Yeah, the offense was still ugly. However, this is a defense that hasn’t allowed a TD all year. We scored more offensive points on them than UGA did. I feel like this defense is going to make every offense they play look ugly this year. We did what we could: stay relaxed, execute, don’t turn the ball over and play field position to give yourself a chance at the end.
Fix the offensive line and you will have "fixed" the offense. If the receivers start dropping balls in the end zone like that boy did in the Alabama game well, that's between them and the quarterback.