#GTvsCLEM Postgame

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
We put up more yards and more offensive points on Clemson than uga did. I was happy with the play calling. We were up against the nations best DL tonight and held our own.
Yeah I have to agree here. There were a few frustrating playcalls, but that is inevitable. The offense did struggle, but I think most offenses would struggle against their defense, so we need to think in relative terms in judging the offense. I was encouraged to see us sustain a few drives against them, quite honestly. I don’t recall us being able to do that against Clemson since 2014.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. But we are going to get boat raced by UNC because they have a real QB. We haven’t stopped or outscored a real offense since Collins has been here. And Louisville gave us 4 turnovers to win that one. This loss just like last years loss will be forgotten by the time my head hits the pillow. What won’t be forgotten is in year 3 we still can’t get plays in on time and have to use timeouts at random times because our coaches are inept. Gibbs was po’ed today and I’m worried he is not long for this regime.
Lol

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The same could be said about Sims as well. Great on paper, 4* recruit, and all the intangibles, but can't put it together on game day. Hopefully this put the QB debate to rest. Yates is our guy.
"Hopefully, this put(s) the QB debate to rest..." Alas, it is likely only starting to heat up. The first poor game Yates has will result in the mother of all quarterback debates on this forum.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
This might have been Thackers best Defensive called game so far. Hopefully we see a repeat of this
honest question for anyone that was watching the sidelines closely... was Thacker calling it tonight, or was it Collins?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
honest question for anyone that was watching the sidelines closely... was Thacker calling it tonight, or was it Collins?
I’m almost 100% sure that Collins was calling it. I hope it stays that way, he’s a very good defensive mind.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
aaaa
I’m almost 100% sure that Collins was calling it. I hope it stays that way, he’s a very good defensive mind.
It was definitely collins calling it, he was in D coord mode, clipboard in hand. And thats a good thing Save us money on a D coord and Maybe get Coach P a nice job as head coach of a g5 school this offseason so geoff doesn't have to fire him and spend lots of money on an OC that runs this offense but can make decisions a bit faster. Thacker may be a good DC at some point in hsi career, but i don't think he's there yet.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
aaaa

It was definitely collins calling it, he was in D coord mode, clipboard in hand.

And thats a good thing Save us money on a D coord

Quote 1 - Interesting (if true) as Collins' X's and O's ability has been questioned at times here.

Quote 2 - Based on past experience, I personally do not want a HC that is also a OC or DC at the same time. Each of those things is a full time job in and of itself.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
aaaa

It was definitely collins calling it, he was in D coord mode, clipboard in hand. And thats a good thing Save us money on a D coord and Maybe get Coach P a nice job as head coach of a g5 school this offseason so geoff doesn't have to fire him and spend lots of money on an OC that runs this offense but can make decisions a bit faster. Thacker may be a good DC at some point in hsi career, but i don't think he's there yet.
Are you guessing at this or know Collins was calling the defense? I don't mind if he is and actually would like it - just surprised.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They may not be in the title game

In that case, I want another shot at WF for all the marbles. They need payback for that 9-6 clunker and I am sure Coach Choice would agree. ;)

ETA; if they (Tigers) can average 10 ppg on offense they will be back. That D is pretty stout. Going 3 games w/o a TD is remarkeable in this day and age.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Based on Collins presser, last night was a Defensive package they had practiced during the off-season but wasn't ready game 1 and 2. I hope we see more of that, because next week we will need it because they have a better QB right now than Clemson.

Not sure about their defence but our offence can't continue to sputter like yesterday

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
After some sleep - one thing I can say is that’s the most fun I’ve had watching us play in a long time.

Defense was great, but their QB missed bad on many throws that got us off the field. They aren’t a very good offensive team right now.

I’m not sure what we’re trying to do with Gibbs, but it sure feels like we are underutilizing the guy. He only had 11 touches yesterday. They have a stout run D, but we need to find more ways to get the ball in his hands in space.

For the love of god please put some under center package in for power running situations that allows our O line to get low and gain some leverage. We had a coach that refused to use the gun and now we’ve got one that refuses to go under center from the two.

We made a couple field goals, but man that second kick sure looked shaky.

Clock management is still costing us. Looks like it’s going to be this way as long as Collins is here.

I’m encouraged, but not sure how confident I feel about Saturday night. We need to go out and win this game somehow to build some confidence.