#GTvsCLEM Postgame

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought this coaching staff turned in their worst performance of their GT career vs NIU. Last week they made visible improvements and seemed to make the right decisions, call the right plays, and the team seemed to execute much better.

Tonight I think they took a step forward. They stacked weeks. They outcoached Clemson and their unlimited resources. They came in and had a plan and executed. The huddle was genius. The defensive calls were great and the Clemson second TD was more depth and attrition than anything else. If we were able to punch in a TD on just one of those three drives inside the ten you’re looking at the upset. The play calling in the red zone has always been a little bit suspect but if just one of those plays works then it’s a different story.

As for the players - they played well enough for the win. They went toe to toe with a roster laden with 5* talent. I would argue they outplayed Clemson in most phases of the game. They out gained Clemson 309-284. More drives into the red zone. More pass yards per attempt. The only piece that was missing was the interior run game - but we were running into the teeth of perhaps the top defense in the nation. And even so, Mason was able to spring a few.

We had a few more penalties than I would like (some were questionable) but I think the entire program took a massive step forward tonight. They showed they can compete with the best. That is the closest we’ve played Clemson since 2014. It is visible progression we are finally seeing. They just need to keep improving week over week and year over year. It’s an extremely young roster. But this I think is one of the most promising signs of the rebuild we have seen if not THE most promising sign.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I know we had a great defensive game but the offensive stats surprised me more. We had 309 total yards (203 passing and 106 rushing) against Clemson. When the mutts played them, they had 256 total yards (135 passing and 121 rushing). IMO, we played an exceptional game on both sides of the ball.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Game D-Stats
‘Riq would have gotten 15+ if he wasn’t ejected.

Clem 4 sacks, 7 QB hurries and 8 TFL - pressure in backfield most of the game. Murphy & Bresee both future NFL 1st rounders. Hopefully next season will be their last.

GT +2 in turnover margin!
1632017081840.png

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought this coaching staff turned in their worst performance of their GT career vs NIU. Last week they made visible improvements and seemed to make the right decisions, call the right plays, and the team seemed to execute much better.

Tonight I think they took a step forward. They stacked weeks. They outcoached Clemson and their unlimited resources. They came in and had a plan and executed. The huddle was genius. The defensive calls were great and the Clemson second TD was more depth and attrition than anything else. If we were able to punch in a TD on just one of those three drives inside the ten you’re looking at the upset. The play calling in the red zone has always been a little bit suspect but if just one of those plays works then it’s a different story.

As for the players - they played well enough for the win. They went toe to toe with a roster laden with 5* talent. I would argue they outplayed Clemson in most phases of the game. They out gained Clemson 309-284. More drives into the red zone. More pass yards per attempt. The only piece that was missing was the interior run game - but we were running into the teeth of perhaps the top defense in the nation. And even so, Mason was able to spring a few.

We had a few more penalties than I would like (some were questionable) but I think the entire program took a massive step forward tonight. They showed they can compete with the best. That is the closest we’ve played Clemson since 2014. It is visible progression we are finally seeing. They just need to keep improving week over week and year over year. It’s an extremely young roster. But this I think is one of the most promising signs of the rebuild we have seen if not THE most promising sign.
Agree, the players are here. It’s the boneheaded coaching that is limiting us. Too many examples and it’s only 3 games. 1st and goal from the 4 and we line up in shotgun and pass it twice. How smart do you have to be to know it’s been a 5 hour game with everyone cramping and you have Mason. Run it 4 times in a row. Then instead of letting Gibbs have a chance on the return we think we can go 80 yards on offensive in 7 seconds. Just ridiculous. Can Collins recruit an offensive coach?

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know we had a great defensive game but the offensive stats surprised me more. We had 309 total yards (203 passing and 106 rushing) against Clemson. When the mutts played them, they had 256 total yards (135 passing and 121 rushing). IMO, we played an exceptional game on both sides of the ball.
Speaking of the Mutts, while they've got a good D, I think CU's bad O had more to do with the CU loss in Charlotte than the Georgia D. USCe has scored 13 pts and is driving again, so maybe the pup's D is more vulnerable than it might at first seem.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You will never play a perfect game but that is about as close to perfect as i think this team can play on both sides of the ball.

The offensive game plan was really solid and well executed. Yates just plays with a certain confidence. I feel like we should use Smith more. Very smart back and forth between huddling and tempo. Both shortened the game and caused issues with the Clemson D at times.

The defensive game plan was also really solid and well executed. C Thomas was so good. We took too long to react to them running the QB. It felt like from the late third through most of the fourth quarter they were simply more physical than we were.

Didn't like the playing calling on 3rd and 4th down at the end. I wanted to spread them out 4 wide, 2 on each side. Run crosses to try to get rubs. See what clemson does in the box, if they keep it full then you look for a guy to get free in the EZ, if they play an extra man out on either side then run with either a quick pitch to Smith if you have him in. Or if not lead the RB and run Yates behind - I just feel like Yates would walk across glass to get into the EZ.

Clemson's defense is as good as any in the country - it won them the game, but their offense was a mess. The QB missed receivers and made some poor decisions, they don't have a speed back. IMO Yates didn't make a big mistake the entire game. That is an accomplishment given the level of defense he was playing against.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts:

Overall proud of the team. Losing sucks, but this is one to build on.

Hats off to the defense. Best game they’ve play under Collins. If we put up that kind of performance every game we will be hard to beat. Loved seeing Biggers get a TFL. Good lord that’s a big man!

Offense moved the ball well at times. Shot themselves in the foot with penalties too often that made it impossible to move the sticks. OC is still not creative enough in his personnel sets or play calls IMO. We definitely had them on the ropes but it felt like we were playing for a close loss most of the game! This is our biggest weakness, IMO. We need to be more flexible with our sets and play calling. Oklahoma today ran I formation under center from the goal line. Why can’t we do that and still be a pro offense? We definitely have the personnel for it!

Our clock management continues to be an absolute joke. Grade is an F! Rushing the play at the end of Q1, the pace on the drive in Q4, the final timeout at the goal line…when will this guy get a clue about this stuff?!?!?!?

Overall this game won’t linger with me. I wish we’d one, but we played well. That said, I still have concerns about our future. I think we are A OK ok defense, but Im not confident in our OC or our ability to manage a close game. This is troublesome given the impact these areas have on our overall success as a program.

We kind of have of must win against uNC Saturday…going 1-3 wouldn’t instill much faith in the staff IMO

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Then instead of letting Gibbs have a chance on the return we think we can go 80 yards on offensive in 7 seconds
Having him fair catch this without anyone near him was comical. Him catching that ball and taking a chance in space was our best chance at winning the game. It feels like our HC will never grasp key game management concepts.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Yates is the answer bottomline... If he started that 1st game we win and I've watched the kid since High School he's a winner, quick reader and solid fundamental passer.... people who hark about arm strength If you put your passes on the right spot on time you don't have to have the strongest arm says Dree Brees and Russel Wilson

maybe not but he was rated as the best by some, coming out of high school. He has arm talent but he was less composed than Yates.
The same could be said about Sims as well. Great on paper, 4* recruit, and all the intangibles, but can't put it together on game day. Hopefully this put the QB debate to rest. Yates is our guy.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts:

Overall proud of the team. Losing sucks, but this is one to build on.

Hats off to the defense. Best game they’ve play under Collins. If we put up that kind of performance every game we will be hard to beat. Loved seeing Biggers get a TFL. Good lord that’s a big man!

Offense moved the ball well at times. Shot themselves in the foot with penalties too often that made it impossible to move the sticks. OC is still not creative enough in his personnel sets or play calls IMO. We definitely had them on the ropes but it felt like we were playing for a close loss most of the game! This is our biggest weakness, IMO. We need to be more flexible with our sets and play calling. Oklahoma today ran I formation under center from the goal line. Why can’t we do that and still be a pro offense? We definitely have the personnel for it!

Our clock management continues to be an absolute joke. Grade is an F! Rushing the play at the end of Q1, the pace on the drive in Q4, the final timeout at the goal line…when will this guy get a clue about this stuff?!?!?!?

Overall this game won’t linger with me. I wish we’d one, but we played well. That said, I still have concerns about our future. I think we are A OK ok defense, but Im not confident in our OC or our ability to manage a close game. This is troublesome given the impact these areas have on our overall success as a program.

We kind of have of must win against uNC Saturday…going 1-3 wouldn’t instill much faith in the staff IMO
Agreed. But we are going to get boat raced by UNC because they have a real QB. We haven’t stopped or outscored a real offense since Collins has been here. And Louisville gave us 4 turnovers to win that one. This loss just like last years loss will be forgotten by the time my head hits the pillow. What won’t be forgotten is in year 3 we still can’t get plays in on time and have to use timeouts at random times because our coaches are inept. Gibbs was po’ed today and I’m worried he is not long for this regime.