#GTvsCLEM Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hats off to the defense. Clemson is obviously struggling offensively but that was better than I think anyone expected. The offense wasn’t great but Yates played decent overall against maybe the best defense in college football. It’s hard to believe but from what I’ve seen this year, Yates is better than DJ. They need to make a change at QB. We have found our guy. Overall, I still don’t like losing so I’m not taking any moral victories away. Hopefully this is something we can build on though.
"Yates is better than DJ." Just ask any Clemson fan and they will agree.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
What. A. Game.

It was like a marathon and a roller coaster all in one

Really impressed with Thacker's preparation and having the defense ready. Charlie Thomas is that dude.

There couldn't be a bigger stage, top ten Clemson in Death Valley, and guys played their tails off.

Jordan Yates is the guy at QB. Protects the ball and makes good decisions.

Plenty to clean up going forward but enjoying the fact that we scored double what uga scored against that D for now

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I really wanted a touchdown. But otherwise I am very proud of our team’ performance today. Clemson did not look like a top 10 team. Not sure how much of that we were responsible for but Tech played well above my expectations.

And can attest, our house (mine and @GTpdm ’s) is a disaster with rain dripping into our living room. Quite distracting when you have a tight game going on!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The QBR formula I used was the generic NCAA formula. ESPN uses a formula weighted by the strength of the defense and the expected points. Right now, Yates is 6th, and Clemson isn’t factored in. Since we only scored 6, he might even be down after this week.
There were a couple of times were we could have used Sims’ arm to get a good heave in there, but Yates is a “field general” or a “game manager” or a “gym rat” and a “coach on the field” (insert subjective stuff in here). He is making the players around him look good.

View attachment 11206
To be honest, I am surprised that DJ's rating is as high as is listed. Both Howell and Pickett are great quarterbacks but both of them have a pronounced tendency to hold the ball in an effort to get the big play. With receivers like Downs, I can hardly blame them but when we play UNC and Pitt we must get pressure or they will pick us apart.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It's been way too long since I've felted this kind of excited nervous stress in a GT game. I feel like the last time I felt like this was the 2015 game against FSU

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I really wanted a touchdown. But otherwise I am very proud of our team’ performance today. Clemson did not look like a top 10 team. Not sure how much of that we were responsible for but Tech played well above my expectations.

And can attest, our house (mine and @GTpdm ’s) is a disaster with rain dripping into our living room. Quite distracting when you have a tight game going on!

You share a home with @GTpdm ? Yikes. Can you explain why he's so mean to everyone? He's basically a bully.

Anyways, great effort today/night. We ain't so bad when we don't inexplicably give the ball away every other possession.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Clemson has "top ten" talent but a mediocre quarterback who lacks confidence will negate a lot of talent.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
You share a home with @GTpdm ? Yikes. Can you explain why he's so mean to everyone? He's basically a bully.

Anyways, great effort today/night. We ain't so bad when we don't inexplicably give the ball away every other possession.
Only to my administrative assistants. By the way, I take my coffee black, and no sprinkles on my donuts...If you can get that right, I might think about writing an article about our former get-bak coach…

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say. We have seen our….floor…. this season. But we have just seen our new ceiling! This gives me new hope for the rest of the season. 5-7 is still achievable, and I’d even say that 8-4 is possible though very unlikely.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates is a gamer, Charlie Thomas is a stud, defense played really well, and the OL held up better protecting Yates than I expected.

I was really impressed with how the coaching staff had the guys ready to play in this game. I honestly think we stick it in the end zone if we don’t have the lightning delay going into halftime.

McGowan had another nice game. Cater made a few big plays too.

Overall, this should be something the team can build on.

There are some things I have issues with as well though.

Lack of urgency down 2 scores was frustrating to watch. It ended up not mattering because we covered the onside kick, but man running 40 seconds off the clock to run the ball and lose yards was tough to watch.

Play calling once we got it to 1st and goal with 2 timeouts left, down 6.

3rd and 16 and 3rd and 14 conversions given up by the defense. One of which led to the game winning score.

Not letting Gibbs return the kickoff at the end of the game. It was our only chance with 7 seconds and no timeouts.

The lack of Gibbs usage overall. He’s our best player and he wasn’t even on the field for the last 2 plays.

Overall, the team played great and should be proud. Sucks to lose anytime, but these games where you’re so close hurt more.

Hard to believe that’s the same team that lost to NIU. Hopefully this catapults us into some really good football and a run at the coastal.