GT's Rich Tradition and History in College Football, What say You?

BigJacket

Banned
I've been a GT fan for close to four decades and have seen us win a Natty in person. I love the rich tradition GT has in football and remember a lot of stories from Grandad when he was a student at GT.

Just thought I would share some of my favorite traditions and things that have happened in the past of our football program.....What say you, what are some of your favorite memories or things that happened in the past involved with GT's program?

- The 222-0 game vs Cumberland
-Singing Budweiser song at end of the third quarter
- We used to be called the Golden Tornadoes (I actually have a metal sign that was my Granddad's that says GOLDEN TORNADOES)
- That famous picture of Marilyn Monroe wearing the GT sweater
-One time when we used to play Auburn our team took a train down to the game and the night before the game some Auburn fans greased the tracks and when our train was arriving to the station it couldn't stop in time and it shot on down the tracks and the entire team had to get off and walk back to the station with their gear and equipment.
-John Heisman was our coach
-William Bell on cover of Sports Illustrated
-The UVA game in "90 ( What an amazing staff: Boss Ross, O'Leary, and the Fridge)
-4 Natty's
-Two QB's have been runner up in Heisman- Watching Lil Joe use his whole body to throw those 50 yard bombs with pinpoint accuracy
-Hearing George P. Burdell's name called out at away games
-Eating at the Varsity before a game
-Night game at Bobby Dodd and the East and West stands shouting "YELLOW" and "JACKETS" back and forth, makes the hair on back of my neck stand up

So many cool things about GT football, such a great tradition! What are some of your favorites?

GO JACKETS!

Last edited:

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
-In 1990 after the UVA win at Virginia I was on campus, and everyone ran to the field! The goal posts came down and then students started a bonfire under the traffic light and actually melted it. Destruction of property is not good; I just remember how WILD that fall was and how excited everyone was.
-Citrus Bowl that same year!
-Miracle on Techwood
-Not sure if the band still does it, but they used to do the RAT hats for freshmen and first year students
-Roving band in 3rd qtr - and that the band plays constantly (even though I can't hear them anymore where I sit)
-I love the option offense and team mentality
-I love the spring game and fan day
-Who doesn't love beating UGA - the kick and the pick!
-I love WHY GT left the SEC and its rich tradition of loyalty on scholarships to players!!! This is so important!!
-I love that GT holds players accountable for their actions and has a higher standard of academic threshold than the NCAA for minimum GPA to play

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
7 - 6 over #1 ranked Alabama 1962 ( I'm in the North stands)
Dinner at Camellia Garden after the games.
John Wayne whistling "Ramblin Wreck" in the movie "The High and the Mighty".

I've been a GT fan for close to four decades and have seen us win a Natty in person. I love the rich tradition GT has in football and remember a lot of stories from Grandad when he was a student at GT.

Just thought I would share some of my favorite traditions and things that have happened in the past of our football program.....What say you, what are some of your favorite memories or things that happened in the past involved with GT's program?

- We used to be called the Golden Tornadoes (I actually have a metal sign that was my Granddad's that says GOLDEN TORNADOES)
-One time when we used to play Auburn our team took a train down to the game and the night before the game some Auburn fans greased the tracks and when our train was arriving to the station it couldn't stop in time and it shot on down the tracks and the entire team had to get off and walk back to the station with their gear and equipment.
-The UVA game in "90 ( What an amazing staff: Boss Ross, O'Leary, and the Fridge)
-4 Natty's
-Two QB's have been runner up in Heisman- Watching Lil Joe use his whole body to throw those 50 yard bombs with pinpoint accuracy
-Night game at Bobby Dodd and the East and West stands shouting "YELLOW" and "JACKETS" back and forth, makes the hair on back of my neck stand up

So many cool things about GT football, such a great tradition! What are some of your favorites?

GO JACKETS!
I thing the Heisman teams were known as The Golden Tornado (singular) not Tornadoes (plural)

7 - 6 over #1 ranked Alabama 1962 ( I'm in the North stands)
Dinner at Camellia Garden after the games.
John Wayne whistling "Ramblin Wreck" in the movie "The High and the Mighty".
I, too, was in the north stands that day. :)

6-3 over Tennessee in 1966

6-0 over Georgia in 1969 when we had no chance, none, of winning that game. But did.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
upload_2017-10-19_11-32-22.png

upload_2017-10-19_11-33-31.png

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The street party in downtown Orlando after we won the Citrus Bowl. Bobby Ross grabbing the mic and proclaiming "We're #1"

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I, too, was in the north stands that day. :)

6-3 over Tennessee in 1966

6-0 over Georgia in 1969 when we had no chance, none, of winning that game. But did.
Yeah!! Thanks for the reminder. I was at the 1966 UT game with my girlfriend, now my wife of 48 years, and was a grad student at UT and wore
a UT shirt that day, for a reason I no longer remember. What I remember is when we started thru the 5th street tunnel the GT students were lined
up and graciously shook the hand of everyone wearing anything orange and thanking us for making the trip. (P/S I am a GT fan since 10 years of age and
wore GT at the GT @ UT games in Knoxville (football and BB) and was thrown out of the UT student section as a result.)

Yeah!! Thanks for the reminder. I was at the 1966 UT game with my girlfriend, now my wife of 48 years, and was a grad student at UT and wore
a UT shirt that day, for a reason I no longer remember. What I remember is when we started thru the 5th street tunnel the GT students were lined
up and graciously shook the hand of everyone wearing anything orange and thanking us for making the trip. (P/S I am a GT fan since 10 years of age and
wore GT at the GT @ UT games in Knoxville (football and BB) and was thrown out of the UT student section as a result.)
I was at the 1966 UT game as a Boy Scout usher! At the 1969 Georgia win as a student.

Jmonty71

Banned

-4 Natty's

GO JACKETS!
That is good and bad. Today in college football it is all about being current. I don't think recruits really care about tradition much anymore. It's all about relevance and who is doing what now. For 4 and 5 star recruits, college is nothing more than a 3 year audition for the NFL. Society and the game have changed so much in the last 20 years. It used to be about pride, respect and team... Now, it's about the individual recruit, it's about trashing other teams and having each coach out for their own.

I think Heisman would have a heart attack, to see what the game has became. It's no longer about pride, it's about money.

All that you listed is what drew me in, to be a fan. But, I love history. So.... kind of easy.

Wasn't really trying to be a Debbie Downer there. But, just my observation.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Was there a better way to spend an away game Saturday afternoon than being in a dove field with a radio listening to Al and the young Lefthander? Back then you could hear the radio broadcasts even in south Ga. And of course, during commercials you would change the station to get an update on the Uga game and listen to Larry Munson. In the morning you would look forward to a big breakfast and the Sunday AJC reading what Furman, Jesse and others had to say about the game.

If I could play golf in the morning before the dove hunt and go fishing Sunday afternoon after the breakfast, paper and church...I think that I have described what 2 days in my heaven would look like. Of course, attending games in BDS would be sprinkled in the mix every other week too just because you don't want to just listen to the games all the time. But, in heaven we would only play UT, Auburn, Uga, Clemson, ND and FSU. And only in BDS. And they would be night games, too. With Varsity and bourbon pregame. With possibly maybe one more drink during the game. But if the bourbon isn't allowed there (in heaven) during or prior to FB games I guess I would begrudgingly give that up if it were a requirement for admission.