GT's Option and the GAP Blitz

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The question seems to be coming up in many other places... are we ready for the gap blitz?

The team sure has practiced for the gap blitz. Sometimes the blitz gets through and sometimes we kill it with a short pass, the QB simply steps back out of the way, or we block it. I sure don't remember any of this in the 2013 spring game!!!!

I don't think we have a silver bullet on blitzes... just like any other team. I do think we will be better and very prepared.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And that was just the spring. They worked on it all camp, too. We'll definitely be better prepared, but I'm sure it'll still get us a little bit. The good news is, if you do defeat it, there's a good chance for a big play.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This will be the question that needs to be answered. They will do it until we burn them with some consistency. I expect this defense against us in spades to start this campaign. It should be interesting and I will be watching very closely to see how we adapt. I feel like, in my head, I know what we need to do, but I am anxious to see what we WILL do to combat the defense "du jour" as CPJ calls it. IMHO, strong execution of very basic option concepts defeats this tactic. We will see.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agreed Boomergump.. It is just like any other offense. There is always a tactical way to attack and thwart the strength of a scheme. We just have to win the battle by better scheming and execution.

I think we will see it a few times in the front end of the season. Then we will probably see each time try it a few times throughout the game but once we show a deft response it will decrease.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not as concerned as many of y'all. Even in the VT game, where we probably saw the most of this, the blitzer took themselves out of the play as often as not. It did create one humongous turnover... I concede that. The prep we've done really limits my worry here.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Make the pre-snap read, if they are jumping the gap quick pitch.

A hard count and fake motion to show where the pressure is coming from would not be bad either.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Good point.
Wonder how we vary that timing.
Memory to self - monitor and analyze.

Simple. Have the ab go in motion when he gets flat with his arc hard count to get the jump offsides. If no jump the ab stops and resets to his normal positon and you start the play again. If teams jump our snap by the ab getting to the top of his arc this will catch em a few times.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Simple. Have the ab go in motion when he gets flat with his arc hard count to get the jump offsides. If no jump the ab stops and resets to his normal positon and you start the play again. If teams jump our snap by the ab getting to the top of his arc this will catch em a few times.

Last year Navy motioned the AB all the way to the slot position before snapping the ball, and in some cases did the fake motion you mentioned. If you could burn the D once with a busted coverage it would be worth it. We are going to have to find ways to disrupt the D timing. My guess is CPJ has some tricks up his sleeve, but I hope we do not need to see them until Blacksburg. A well executed rocket toss should work as well, but I bet we will have a hard time sealing the edge against VT.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I think some Ds we face time our snap on aback motion more than the snap count itself.

I see it a lot. Navy has some stuff they do to make it hard to time off the Aback, I don't know why we don't do it. We are way more predictable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I see it a lot. Navy has some stuff they do to make it hard to time off the Aback, I don't know why we don't do it. We are way more predictable.
This is just a guess but I think CPJ wants as much as possible for each TO play to start out looking exactly like the last one. He wants the variable to be what the defense does not what the offense does, and he doesn't want to "trick" the defense into accidentally doing the right thing.