GT's biggest need for a W next Saturday?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I think our biggest need for next Saturday (outside of having more pts. than the dogs at the end of the game) is for the offense to be in sync from the very beginning of the game. It would also be incredible to see the defense for play lights out as well. I would really love to see GODHIGH have a career night against them and suplex grantham at the end of the game! GO JACKETS....What's the good word?

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
We all know the issues with our much maligned offense but to me the biggest factor next Saturday is the defense. We need a pass rush similar to the Pitt game and like what Auburn did to them early on in that game. We need a low scoring defensive type game with the offense doing just enough to hold the ball for long periods of time and score occasionally without turning it over. We are way over matched from a talent stand point despite ugag's injuries so it will take a great defensive effort combined with a win in the turnover battle to have a chance. We know they will try and run Gurley down our throats so we have to slow that down. If we can get to Mason/Murray ugag will switch to a short passing game which will require our db's to man up and cover someone. The safeties and Louis Young need to play over their heads. Otherwise I fear that 51-7 will repeat itself only this time on our home field. A loss like that to ugag at home will be more than PJ will ever be able to overcome.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We all know the issues with our much maligned offense but to me the biggest factor next Saturday is the defense. We need a pass rush similar to the Pitt game and like what Auburn did to them early on in that game. We need a low scoring defensive type game with the offense doing just enough to hold the ball for long periods of time and score occasionally without turning it over. We are way over matched from a talent stand point despite ugag's injuries so it will take a great defensive effort combined with a win in the turnover battle to have a chance. We know they will try and run Gurley down our throats so we have to slow that down. If we can get to Mason/Murray ugag will switch to a short passing game which will require our db's to man up and cover someone. The safeties and Louis Young need to play over their heads. Otherwise I fear that 51-7 will repeat itself only this time on our home field. A loss like that to ugag at home will be more than PJ will ever be able to overcome.

I think it's a fairly simple thing to predict what their gameplan will be. They'll run Gurley 25 - 30 times in the game. Mason will throw a lot of passes that are no further than 5 - 10 yards from the line of scrimmage until our corners move up to play press coverage. At which point, they'll try to throw over the top for long gains.

I would expect Roof will stack the box with 8 and try to take away the run and limit the yards after catch on the short passes. We just have to hope they don't connect on many, if any, of the long passes. Because I think with Gurley's talent (I honestly think he's the best college running back in the country) and their huge OL, I think we will still struggle to stop their running game...ala 2010.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Humpers OL and Girly Man running the football against our DL is the match up to be concerned about. We have been able to slow the run down, but it has never happened without bringing numbers against the good OLs. UGA has a very very good OL. Despite some progress made this year with Gotsis, it is still the weak point of our defense, around which we must constantly scheme. I am not as down on our cover guys as many. They have done a pretty good job covering in man this year, albeit less so in zone. Clemson's WRs are better than UGA's. We actually covered them pretty well. We just couldn't make plays when the football arrived. I hope we sell out to stop the run and force them to beat us through the air with the inexperienced QB. If they get Girly running downhill against us, it will be a long day similar to 2009.