GTMBB 80 Vandy 76 ( Secret exhibition)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
A lot of this makes sense.

Coleman was a 41.3% shooter on 3.35 3PA per game.
Kelly started ice cold last year going 4-28 in his 14 games (14%). In the last 16 he went 22 - 47 which is 43% on 2.9 attempts per game.

To give context, Devoe as a freshman shot 39.3% from 3 on 3.34 attempts per game.

We also have Maxwell who is a bit of an unknown but went off against BC and had a rep as a big time scorer in highschool leading his state 4A division in 3 point shots made, and Terry who shot 35% on 5.3 attempts last year and 44% on 4.6 attempts the year before

To compliment, Sturdy shot 33% on 2.5 attempts per game last year, and Moore apparently shot 33% his senior year in highschool.

So I think a lot of the time we are likely to see 2 very high level shooters on the court with probably at leas 1 or 2 other three point threats. We have the team, back court at least, to actually go small ball this year if we think opposing teams won't be able to punish us for having Deebo at the 4. A line up of Studry, Maxwell, Kelly, Coleman, Howard looks like a lot of firepower if we can get away with it and probably could even get away with Meka replacing Howard defensively a lot of the time.

Second point is good to see regarding freethrows. We'll need to be able to generate points when shots aren't falling and FTs could be a big part of that if guys like Smith, Sturdivant, and Terry can penetrate and Howard and Franklin to put pressure on bigs down low as well.
Reading this got me excited for all the

3pt FG - steal - transition 3pt FG - opponent timeout

combinations at a rocking McCamish this season.

SCjacket1

Banned
The scrimmage last year was two twenty halves, but not ran like a actual game. The coaches were able to use unlimited timeouts and able to do more situational coaching. Also, Josh used the time to mix up players and who played together. We should be a good shooting team and as Connell said the offense should be fun to watch. If that comes to fruition, the way coach gets them to play defense, twe should be excited. Going to be fun to see who is the alpha this year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Had a chance to speak briefly with Josh and ask him about the scrimmage. He didn't give me much, but he did say the following:

• We shot the ball really well thus far in practice and in the scrimmage over the weekend.
  • We have shooters all over the floor and will be a very good shooting team this season.
  • We still had too many turnovers, but we were able to get to the line and make FT's.
  • When I asked about how we played in the paint, he told me that Ja'von played great.
That's more positive than I would expect but .I figured Javon would be an real asset. Thanks.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Had a chance to speak briefly with Josh and ask him about the scrimmage. He didn't give me much, but he did say the following:

• We shot the ball really well thus far in practice and in the scrimmage over the weekend.
  • We have shooters all over the floor and will be a very good shooting team this season.
  • We still had too many turnovers, but we were able to get to the line and make FT's.
  • When I asked about how we played in the paint, he told me that Ja'von played great.
Thanks for sharing.

If those traits turn out to be representative, then all we fans need to track are the hustle board stats. If we have a sweet shooting team then the only thing we need to see for the the team to make a major turn around is the willingness to dig-in on the defensive end and be scrappy. The hustle board stats will tell us this.

Sweet shooting and scrappy = winning team.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for sharing.

If those traits turn out to be representative, then all we fans need to track are the hustle board stats. If we have a sweet shooting team then the only thing we need to see for the the team to make a major turn around is the willingness to dig-in on the defensive end and be scrappy. The hustle board stats will tell us this.

Sweet shooting and scrappy = winning team.
Agreed.. That and our ability to rebound. Defense and rebounding are my two biggest questions marks, with ball security third, coming into the season.

We really should be able to put points on the board this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOVE Miles's game. I've said since we recruiting him out of HS that he's one of those players that's willing to try sh!t. Excited to see how he's developed since last season.

There's quite a few guys on our team with ability and athleticism, but we need them to translate that into basketball ability. I think we're probably a year away from having a REALLY good team, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us pull off some upsets this year. We're a team that's probably going to lose some games early in the year, but once the team settles into a good rotation, and leaders start emerging, we could be a team no one wants to play towards the end of the year.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
We're a team that's probably going to lose some games early in the year, but once the team settles into a good rotation, and leaders start emerging, we could be a team no one wants to play towards the end of the year.
i humbly submit that fanatics need to keep @Techster comments in mind this year, and not immediately rush to the "every year pastner loses early season games to non-P6 this guy sucks, JBatt fire him before xmas, ron bell, memphis, darryl labarrie, etc etc... bobby cremins and rich yunkus and john heisman and bobby dodd would have done it differently back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and so should pastner....."

pastner may have deserved some criticism on occasion in past years when he had a veteran team losing some early games - but this season is a new situation. dont rush to judge this team (and pastner's coaching of it) based on a few poor performances during november or december.

if GT and pastner were coming off a 2 or 3 year run of NCAA tournament appearances (and the conference tournament championship two years ago), the obvious mindset would be: this is the year before the year. ride the roller coaster this season with hopes of squeaking in via just enough wins and upsets. but if it falls just short, or includes a bunch or competitive, tough loses this year, the "seasoning" will yield benefits for an NCAA return and ACC contention next year. (and one of the great things about being a fan is watching those 2-year runs/windows that include legitimate growth and improvement rather than just college transfer-portal free agency and paying for temporary players year after year after year. that's a long way of saying i am not looking forward to just this season, i am looking forward to the next 2 seasons and watching it all unfold.)