GTMBB 80 Vandy 76 ( Secret exhibition)

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Assuming that it was played in normal 20 minute halves the scoring is encouraging. Love to hear the details. Not sure how good Vandy. is projected to be this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It would be lovely if there was a stats leak for us to get some idea who generated those 80 points. We scored 80+ five times last year. Once in OT and twice against teams lost in the 300s. The only legit 80 point games were at Georgia and the first BC game. So, these points are not a trivial accomplishment if the game was actually 40 minutes.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It would be lovely if there was a stats leak for us to get some idea who generated those 80 points. We scored 80+ five times last year. Once in OT and twice against teams lost in the 300s. The only legit 80 point games were at Georgia and the first BC game. So, these points are not a trivial accomplishment if the game was actually 40 minutes.
One thing to consider (especially given the defensive output) is that Pastner has outwardly announced he's speeding up our offensive pace this season. Hard to say from the number 80 alone whether this was an efficient 80 or not.

Also I would imagine both sides were playing a good chunk of guys who wouldn't see the court in a regular season game.

I would like to see the box score though. I'm hoping for huge leaps from a few guys, particularly Miles Kelly. I think there was some interview about him working hard on driving and finishing at the basket this offseason. It'd be nice to have a slasher again who can at least get to the free throw line.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see a box score and know what the structure was - 2 20 min halves or 6 10 min structured segments? But that is just so I can try to glean more out of this than is really there ;)

Overall I will take a win and consider that a ton better than getting our arse handed to us.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Unless we had heard that it was Vandy that scored 80, then the sky would be falling.
This is spot on.

We were picked to finish last in the ACC primarily because the writers doubted we could score points. Vandy was not picked last in the SEC (#11 out of 14) and I assume we would have been an underdog on the road against them. We may still finish last in the conference, but 80 points is a serious number for a team that averaged only 68.8 ppg and lost 59% of that.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is spot on.

We were picked to finish last in the ACC primarily because the writers doubted we could score points. Vandy was not picked last in the SEC (#11 out of 14) and I assume we would have been an underdog on the road against them. We may still finish last in the conference, but 80 points is a serious number for a team that averaged only 68.8 ppg and lost 59% of that.
In fairness, we don't know if the 80 points was over the course of a regular game or not. Teams often play different rules/etc. to get different looks.

In short, it is best to put as little stock as possible into this thread. The only "good" news - as far as I'm concerned - is that we scored more than them.

I just find it laughable how easily some beat the hell of us if there's a shred of a negative slant, yet brush it off when the opposite appears to be true.

GT11

GT Athlete
In fairness, we don't know if the 80 points was over the course of a regular game or not. Teams often play different rules/etc. to get different looks.

In short, it is best to put as little stock as possible into this thread. The only "good" news - as far as I'm concerned - is that we scored more than them.

I just find it laughable how easily some beat the hell of us if there's a shred of a negative slant, yet brush it off when the opposite appears to be true.
These are played like a real game, 2 20 min halves and overtime if needed. Some coaches play to win and some use to look at different groupings

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I agree with you. We also do not know if it was a controlled scrimmage or a full game or some variation. Did both teams approach it like a real game or give all 13 players approximately equal time on the court. My initial post was an attempt to see if anyone with inside knowledge would post details about which of our guys actually scored those 80 points.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with you. We also do not know if it was a controlled scrimmage or a full game or some variation. Did both teams approach it like a real game or give all 13 players approximately equal time on the court. My initial post was an attempt to see if anyone with inside knowledge would post details about which of our guys actually scored those 80 points.

Had a chance to speak briefly with Josh and ask him about the scrimmage. He didn't give me much, but he did say the following:

• We shot the ball really well thus far in practice and in the scrimmage over the weekend.
  • We have shooters all over the floor and will be a very good shooting team this season.
  • We still had too many turnovers, but we were able to get to the line and make FT's.
  • When I asked about how we played in the paint, he told me that Ja'von played great.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Had a chance to speak briefly with Josh and ask him about the scrimmage. He didn't give me much, but he did say the following:

• We shot the ball really well thus far in practice and in the scrimmage over the weekend.
  • We have shooters all over the floor and will be a very good shooting team this season.
  • We still had too many turnovers, but we were able to get to the line and make FT's.
  • When I asked about how we played in the paint, he told me that Ja'von played great.
Damn that’s neat. How do you know Josh. Just curious.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had a dentist appointment this morning and talked to him about Vandy basketball. He was a 3 year letterman for them. He said there's more optimism about their the program than the media projects. Also said Pastner and Stackhouse are friends, so the game was probably designed to give both coaches a chance to see what they have.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

A lot of this makes sense.

Coleman was a 41.3% shooter on 3.35 3PA per game.
Kelly started ice cold last year going 4-28 in his 14 games (14%). In the last 16 he went 22 - 47 which is 43% on 2.9 attempts per game.

To give context, Devoe as a freshman shot 39.3% from 3 on 3.34 attempts per game.

We also have Maxwell who is a bit of an unknown but went off against BC and had a rep as a big time scorer in highschool leading his state 4A division in 3 point shots made, and Terry who shot 35% on 5.3 attempts last year and 44% on 4.6 attempts the year before

To compliment, Sturdy shot 33% on 2.5 attempts per game last year, and Moore apparently shot 33% his senior year in highschool.

So I think a lot of the time we are likely to see 2 very high level shooters on the court with probably at leas 1 or 2 other three point threats. We have the team, back court at least, to actually go small ball this year if we think opposing teams won't be able to punish us for having Deebo at the 4. A line up of Studry, Maxwell, Kelly, Coleman, Howard looks like a lot of firepower if we can get away with it and probably could even get away with Meka replacing Howard defensively a lot of the time.

Second point is good to see regarding freethrows. We'll need to be able to generate points when shots aren't falling and FTs could be a big part of that if guys like Smith, Sturdivant, and Terry can penetrate and Howard and Franklin to put pressure on bigs down low as well.