GTAA loses a good one

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Ryan Bamford is said to have accepted the UMASS AD job...he was our Senior associate AD. He was in charge of setting games up.

Really good guy who loves Tech.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wow. Good for him. Not so sure it's good for us though.
My limited direct contact with Ryan were always postitive.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The thought of anything upsetting our apple cart nauseates me.

Fortunately I think the AD is largely a figurehead who can be easily replaced. His critical jobs are selecting coaches once in a blue moon (if things are going well) and fundraising (and there are many people who have this in their blood).

I think it's easier to find top notch potential in ADs than coaches. The coaches are judged against their peers (W/L records) and the ADs are judged based on their spin. And Bobinski's spin has been awful lately IMHO.

It's too bad to see good people leave GT, but maybe Bamford will get experience and come back to a higher position.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I do not know him so I do not know what this move will be like for him. I do know that if he has school age children they will be exposed to some of the best education in the country. I know that in the Pioneer Valley he will be exposed to some beautiful scenery. I know that if he and his family enjoy cultural events, good restaurants and entertainment they will love the area. It is a great place to raise a family.

The school has had some football success in the past but there is a little bit of a split between administration and the student body over whether or not they should have moved up a division. There are some deep philosophical and historical differences between those who want to keep athletics within an educational context and those who naively lust after the culture of the football factories.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That's sad new. When I have emailed with complaints in the past, Ryan always emailed me back with a positive response. I hope he has great success and makes it back to tech one day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It was tongue in cheek snark because I think his slow-playing CPJ and retaining CBG were both bad management.
I don't disagree on Johnson. I thought he deserved better than that. An experienced, proven winner who won at GT literally playing for his job every Saturday. Particularly from a guy who has never AD'd a football program and who made, at least to me, the seriously asinine claim while this was going on that recruits really didn't pay any attention to how long the coach's contract was for. It occurred to me then that Bobinski had never recruited a day in his life. Wait. I think I just got on board.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was tongue in cheek snark because I think his slow-playing CPJ and retaining CBG were both bad management.

Let's not forget renewing CBG and re-setting the buyout BEFORE CPJ got his extension and letting the 2015 season play out.

But hey, no big deal if you just cost the GA athletic department an extra money and put us in a difficult situation with donors...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree on Johnson. I thought he deserved better than that. An experienced, proven winner who won at GT literally playing for his job every Saturday. Particularly from a guy who has never AD'd a football program and who made, at least to me, the seriously asinine claim while this was going on that recruits really didn't pay any attention to how long the coach's contract was for. It occurred to me then that Bobinski had never recruited a day in his life. Wait. I think I just got on board.

I don't have a huge issue with Bobinski taking a wait and see approach to CPJ in 2014, let's not forget CPJ entered the 2014 season with a lot of questions. My only issue with MBob is the inconsistent stance he took with CPJ and didn't apply the same reasoning with Gregory. That looked REALLY bad, and cost us buyout money in the process.

Fortunately I think the AD is largely a figurehead who can be easily replaced. His critical jobs are selecting coaches once in a blue moon (if things are going well) and fundraising (and there are many people who have this in their blood).

I think it's easier to find top notch potential in ADs than coaches. The coaches are judged against their peers (W/L records) and the ADs are judged based on their spin. And Bobinski's spin has been awful lately IMHO.

It's too bad to see good people leave GT, but maybe Bamford will get experience and come back to a higher position.

If that's the case, then how did we get two losers in a row in Brain-Dead and DRad?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a huge issue with Bobinski taking a wait and see approach to CPJ in 2014, let's not forget CPJ entered the 2014 season with a lot of questions. My only issue with MBob is the inconsistent stance he took with CPJ and didn't apply the same reasoning with Gregory. That looked REALLY bad, and cost us buyout money in the process.
True. On defense, I'm not sure how much more he could have done, hiring and firing two DCs, and even now though others are sure it is being fixed, I am still jumpy. The other, QB, was to me all on his recruiting. He now has two QBs in Thomas and Byerly, a possible third in Jordan, and from what others on the board think, at least one more recruited. It is up to the defense now. Regardless, I don't think he and his staff should have been strung out like that, and Bobinski actually painted himself into a corner. Surprised Johnson didn't drive a harder bargain at the end. It would have been a forest fire had he fired him then.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Whenever it does come time to get a new AD how do you expect Tech to narrow the field?

Are they going to have to have AD experience? Power conference AD experience? Do you think Associate ADs from power conference schools would be considered?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Bamford is said to have accepted the UMASS AD job...he was our Senior associate AD. He was in charge of setting games up.

Really good guy who loves Tech.

I believe you suggested I get in touch with GTAA to encourage recruiting in TEXAS - Ryan was my first contact and he immediately got me in touch with Coach Hurt. I tried to make things work out for a 6-5 receiver on 5A championship team but he went to TEXAS TECH. His coach said he was nervous about academics and BECAUSE we had such a strong WR recruiting class we dropped the subject.
Wish RB well in Mass.