GTAA event in Savannah

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Ask them if the flexibility to take non - qualifiers has really improved especially with the last couple of flunkouts. And has the flexibility to take non-qualifiers improved their ability to recruit. A little, a lot?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We had a great time. Good crowd, considering it's Savannah. I have a few pictures but I'm having trouble uploading the file. I will try to do a recap of my notes this weekend.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I decided to go ahead & get this down while fresh. Please understand that I was scribbling quickly but I tried to get as accurate as possible.
Q: When are we going to see more of a passing game?
A: After some laughter from the audience & looks between the 2 coaches "we don't want more passing; we want more accurate passing."
Q: Would you have liked to quarterback for Coach Johnson?
JH: YES! (He answered without hesitation & with great enthusiasm.)
Q: If season started tomorrow, who would be the starting QB?
JH: Can't answer because we don't know who is doing the extra work to be the starter. We don't know, yet.
Q: What top attributes are we looking for in recruits?
JH: An overall football player - academically, athletically, & socially (networking & community service).
Q: With the APR requirements is GT, as a school & athletic program, as competitive today as 20 years ago?
A: YES! (I'm sorry but I don't remember who answered)

Final notes
Are you in as a fan or are you a fair-weather fan? Fill the seats - as a player empty seats are bad to see.
Keep the gossip within the family; don't give the enemy ammunition by taking negative talk to the outside world.
WEATHER THE STORM! WE ARE THE GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY.

P.S. There was a surprise visitor in the audience - William Bell!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
NO ORDINARY JOE: Hall of Famer Hamilton speaks to Georgia Tech alumni

Hamilton told the crowd that his decision in the 1990s to attend Georgia Tech was based on a lot more than just football. In fact, he reminded them that the Yellow Jackets went 1-10 during his senior year of high school in South Carolina.

“I got the same pitch that I give to the players today,” Hamilton said. “You come to Georgia Tech for the academics, the network of alumni, to get that degree and to play football at a high level. That’s the Georgia Tech brand.”

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
"don't give the enemy ammunition by taking negative talk to the outside world." The neglect of this obvious wisdom is the biggest head-scratcher I have about online Tech forums and why I barely participate or follow them anymore. I sometimes am left wondering if people who post negative material online just have no Tech friends/family that they can go vent to privately.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for the summary jwsavhGT. Much appreciated. I was in Savannah since Monday but had to leave Thursday shortly after lunch. If I could have stayed another day I would have enjoyed attending, the event.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks jwsavh. The GT Alumni Association does some good things with the GT Athletic Association. Just a plug for the Alumni Association, they do try and support the networks like arrange this event. The other day I sent an e-mail at 5:15 PM about Roll Call to the Alumni Association. 5 minutes later I got a call with an answer. (Everyone should support Roll Call at any level even very low level of giving - end of year is 30 June. In addition to helping GT, it helps GT's US News & World Report ranking.)

"don't give the enemy ammunition by taking negative talk to the outside world." The neglect of this obvious wisdom is the biggest head-scratcher I have about online Tech forums and why I barely participate or follow them anymore. I sometimes am left wondering if people who post negative material online just have no Tech friends/family that they can go vent to privately.

Maybe start a separate thread on this idea. There is a line which each individual or organization has as to what is negative or damaging information when made public. But that line is very different from where you sit - either in an organization trying to protect itself (a hierarchy) or in a loosely organized group like this blog (a network). Very good article on the tension between hierarchies and networks starting on page 3 at http://d21uq3hx4esec9.cloudfront.net/uploads/pdf/OTB_Jun_11_2014.pdf .

I very much favor the open expression of ideas and sharing of facts as long as they are not personal attacks. Maybe some examples of where you think someone (you can use me, I've got a rather thick skin) crossed the line. This site is much much better for me than the simple fan positivity of "The Hive" which is controlled by a hierarchy.