GT @ Wake Forest 2/19/20

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
With a different officiating crew, we win that game by 20.

The ACC and college basketball need to look at the impact of officiating on the game. I'm not talking about bias one way or the other - I'm talking about the quality of the game, and flow and excitement of the game. Last night's game was almost unwatchable because of the refs. It's bad for the health of the game.

/
Either let the guys play more or go to 6 personal fouls for a player. I hate seeing good players ride the pine because of foul trouble. It can really screw with the outcome of a game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Poor Moore. I don't know what happened to him, but he's a shell of the player he was as a freshman. He can't even come close to making open 10 footers any more. Unless he's a headcase, it feels like the staff has mismanaged him into irrelevancy. He should be a strong contributor off the bench, who could give us 10-15 pts in a game like last night's.

I feel really bad for that kid. He's a better player than this. I could see him portalling (is that a word? shiii, it is now) and I wouldn't blame him at all.

On another note, Devoe was unstoppable for a stretch late in the game. Really cool to see his progression net tangible results. Any thoughts, @Gtbowhunter90 ? :smuggrin:

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner really opened his post game press conference complaining about tech losing Okogie early and wake losing John Collins early. He’s never going to get over it.

It's gotten ridiculous. Any day now I expect him to start complaining about Dennis Scott and Kenny Anderson leaving early. Let it go Josh! If you had recruited better Okogie would be a distant memory.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I feel really bad for that kid. He's a better player than this. I could see him portalling (is that a word? shiii, it is now) and I wouldn't blame him at all.

On another note, Devoe was unstoppable for a stretch late in the game. Really cool to see his progression net tangible results. Any thoughts, @Gtbowhunter90 ? :smuggrin:

I could see Moore portalling (neat term) due to his lack of progress here. I could also see him being a starter/key part of the team next year depending on how ready for prime time the freshman center is when he arrives. Likely comes down to whether he likes the rest of the package at GT and wants to stay. He isn't transferring laterally or up given his performance so far but he could find a mid major that could mimic the academics and offer more PT. But he still is going to have to improve to get PT at a mid major - just would have a fresh start.

I do agree he is a better player than we have seen. Sounds terrible but he has to get his head on straight for playing BB in the ACC. It is a tough gig.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
i seldom see this but even on the Wake board in their game thread a number of posters commented about how they were benefitting from foul calls and it was the only thing keeping them in the game.
Perhaps those were truly unbiased fans.

There is also the category of fan who attributes their team's success inability to validate their unwavering negative opinions as simply a product of outside circumstances. This often happens when fans don't like their own coach. See GTSwarm football forum postgame comments for current and past regime.

With few still supportive of Manning, could be a combo of both.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nice to see Devoe smiling and joking around with the other guys. Thought he took control along with Alvarado down the stretch. Forced his will on Wake.

REALLY nice to see Evan Cole and Usher step up when we lost Wright and Banks to fouls. Cole is a nice sub player for us...better than a lot on here give him credit for. Nice first step to the basket, and has some sneaky hops! He should really get a bit more time at the 4.

Overall, nice to see the guys battle back and take control towards the end. Good road conference win even if Wake isn't that great. GT will take any win we can get.

On to 'Cuse...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

Couldn't tell ya, was too busy watching the Georgie game

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
If our guys could award a game ball to the player they could not have won without, it might have gone to Evan Cole last night. He played his best game as a Jacket right when we needed him most.
He's really carved out a spot in the offense standing along the baseline waiting to cut to the basket for a dunk. It seems like he gets 3 or 4 of those every game

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
He's really carved out a spot in the offense standing along the baseline waiting to cut to the basket for a dunk. It seems like he gets 3 or 4 of those every game
There are things you can criticize about Evan Cole's game - but he is the best on the team at moving/cutting without the ball. His timing is usually very good (it is not that you cut aggressively, but you must also time the cut to give someone the chance to make a pass that leads to something). He also has great hands (wish Banks had hands that good). It still confounds me that he is roughly a 50 percent FT shooter - the stroke is too good. I thought he played very well last night .... both halves (except the missed FTs in first half).

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I'm curious about his hi school stats--ppg, FG%, FT% --if he really didn't show that well in hi school ,it is easy to see his problem now.Anybody know stats.?

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck

It looks like he's mentally playing too fast on the offensive end, almost spazzing out when he shoots. That brick he threw up on the foul line jumper was shocking. What's the old John Wooden saying? "Play fast, but don't hurry"? He looks to be hurrying. If he could slow his mind down a bit, it would do wonders for his game. (Of course, I'm imagining Pastner in his ear at practice making that easier said than done).