GT @ VT prediction thread

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I've put a lot of thought into this one...really just a guess put here is what I think.

I think we see VT try to establish the run again...this is going to be a huge factor to the game. They have struggled in the run game this year quite a bit...I think they will have decent success on the ground but not great.

Surprising but for some reason I feel our defense will play better this week...I think this has to do with VT being young...Two WR's are true Freshmen, Two RBs are true Freshmen... and the OL is not a strong unit (or hasn't been so far) for them. Brewer has looked good but he is a bit of a gambler at times....I see us blitzing and getting pressure this week...Guessing they are in the 21-27 point range.

On offense I really am not sure what to expect...We will get to see the composure of JT tested even more this week. They are a talented group and are going to get pressure and forced some bad plays...Our interior OL is going to have to play well. It doesn't hurt that Marshall and Maddy are banged up a bit...Marshall is going to play but I am not so sure on Maddy.

Key comes down to the obvious in limiting mistakes and we have to hit the big plays this week...there will be a few chances and we can't afford to miss them this week.

GT 27
VT 20

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
"Key comes down to the obvious in limiting mistakes and we have to hit the big plays this week...there will be a few chances and we can't afford to miss them this week."

This looks like a game where CPJ's constant refrain on "keys to the game" really fits the bill.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Supersizethatorder-mutt @GTNavyNuke
IIuc, Bleacher Report is simply a collection of self-editing contributors rather than some coherent source like SI or ESPN. I'm not sure how meaningful it is to attribute predictions to them rather than to some random Joe who gets his stuff published there. Again, that's been my understanding.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Supersizethatorder-mutt @GTNavyNuke
IIuc, Bleacher Report is simply a collection of self-editing contributors rather than some coherent source like SI or ESPN. I'm not sure how meaningful it is to attribute predictions to them rather than to some random Joe who gets his stuff published there. Again, that's been my understanding.

I don't at all. I think Bleacher Report has a lot of fanatical college football fans who all have opinions. That's why I threw out there the "consensus" view.

Given the inconsistency of both teams, no one knows. Or all I can say with certainty is that I don't know what will happen. I intend to enjoy the game as best I can and don't have my hopes up like last year when I felt (and still feel) like we were the better team and we killed ourselves by doing the chokie.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I honestly feel that we move the ball better against VT than any GT team yet ( in the CPJ era). If they blitz, we are finally able to make them pay (mobile QB with accurate arm who sees the field). If they play contain, we grind it out and control the clock. They will score too. They are having trouble running the ball, but I am pretty sure they will try to ram it against us. My confidence in our D is not as high as our O. As in any game, who wins TOs will matter greatly. I say......

GT 7 - VT 3..................... after quarter number 1. Final score is more like GT 31 - VT 27.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm struggling with one as a fan and as a football person. Offensively I feel Tech is going to bring a dimension that the hokies haven't seen out of Tech before. We saw JT grow up a lot in that final drive last week and I feel that will carry over to this game and the rest of the season. Defensively, well none of us, the players or coached are happy about the first 3 games. Whether it's inexperience, coaching, lack of focus or a combination of things it's just not where it needs to be. I will say the 1st half last week wasn't anywhere near as bad as the 2nd half. If the D can put together a full game we might be surprised at how well they can play.

Unfortunately the football person in me is not confident that the D can do it. SO.................................prediction from Cobb County......................hokies 27 Jackets 20.

The fan in me looks at the football person and give the football person this.....................:p

I SO hope the fan is right! :D

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
IF we limit turnovers and don't become penalty prone
GT 30
VT 27

Just hope the LB corp has a good game because I think that'll make a big difference on the D side of our game. Granted it'd be nice to see the DL get 4 or 5 sacks too :)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've put a lot of thought into this one...really just a guess put here is what I think.

I think we see VT try to establish the run again...this is going to be a huge factor to the game. They have struggled in the run game this year quite a bit...I think they will have decent success on the ground but not great.

Surprising but for some reason I feel our defense will play better this week...I think this has to do with VT being young...Two WR's are true Freshmen, Two RBs are true Freshmen... and the OL is not a strong unit (or hasn't been so far) for them. Brewer has looked good but he is a bit of a gambler at times....I see us blitzing and getting pressure this week...Guessing they are in the 21-27 point range.

On offense I really am not sure what to expect...We will get to see the composure of JT tested even more this week. They are a talented group and are going to get pressure and forced some bad plays...Our interior OL is going to have to play well. It doesn't hurt that Marshall and Maddy are banged up a bit...Marshall is going to play but I am not so sure on Maddy.

Key comes down to the obvious in limiting mistakes and we have to hit the big plays this week...there will be a few chances and we can't afford to miss them this week.

GT 27
VT 20

Just to counter some of your points (in the interest of debate)...I think their offensive youth you mentioned is at 2 places where you can afford it...WR and RB. Their O line did ok against OSU but not so well against ECU, While we have had decent (at times) play from our DT's, we are nowhere near as stout on the DL as either of their last 2 opponents. ECU had a nose or DT that was especially disruptive. We simply have given up too many big plays this year (against weak competition) for me to think we would hold them under 28 - 30.

I have confidence in our O line. I do think our receivers will have to come and make a few big plays. Similar to the lil' Joe era, they will be under immense pressure to score every time they touch the ball. that can be disruptive, especially if we get behind by 2 or more possessions, with a FR QB in a very hostile environment. A key to the game will be playing with the lead. If we have to run uphill on O all day, things could get out of hand.

I think this game is winnable. But our D won't allow me to pick the Jackets. I say 34 - 26 or so VT with a game that is decided late. I sure hope I am wrong.