GT .vs. VT

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I have to hand it to Brian Gregory. He outperformed my prediction for the ACC regular season with 6 wins. Originally I had said the Jackets would win 4 ACC games, maybe as few as three or as many as five. Later, I leaned more toward 5 wins. But with this strong final week, the Jackets pulled off a miracle win over Syracuse and an expected win over Virginia Tech to finish with 6 wins. Kudos to Brian Gregory.

Looking back over the season and considering the quality of basketball team we have, I don't see any losses that I would consider unexpected. However, I see many games that I would have expected us to lose but which we won. The most impressive of these, of course, was Syracuse. But I would also put Georgia, Wake Forest, Illinois, and Boston College (the road game) on that list.

I think there is still more evaluation to be done with the tournament coming up.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Smh, I don't mind the optimism, but I don't understand @Atomic Jacket and @GTNavyNuke. Somehow winning 33.3% of conference games and mo postseason is impressive in basketball, but winning conference games at twice the rate and postseason every year in football requires a coaching change. And CPJ has done it with less than great talent while 40% of CBG's starting lineup was invited to try out for the nstional team. Smh.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AE 87, I think Gregory has the most upside potential of all our coaches. I guess that's because from the little I know about basketball, this team passes better and seems to have a better concept of what they are trying to do than the disaster known as Hewitt. (Seriously, I don't know basketball as I didn't play in HS and a monkey with a football is more coordinated than I am with a basketball.) Hewitt did such damage to our program that the bar is very very low.

The team could have quit at the end of the season since we aren't going anywhere at 100th best. http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/georgia-tech-yellow-jackets But they didn't quit which reflects positively on the team and coaching.

We had great talent this year, most of which was injured. It's a tired excuse, but I still gave him a free pass this year. I think Gregory has to produce in the next two years or he should be gone and we try someone else.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Smh, I don't mind the optimism, but I don't understand @Atomic Jacket and @GTNavyNuke. Somehow winning 33.3% of conference games and mo postseason is impressive in basketball, but winning conference games at twice the rate and postseason every year in football requires a coaching change. And CPJ has done it with less than great talent while 40% of CBG's starting lineup was invited to try out for the nstional team. Smh.

I'm not saying I fully endorse the job Gregory is doing. I still think Tech should have made a better choice when hiring. I still think on an absolute scale, Gregory has done a poor job thus far. If he were fired tomorrow, I would not shed a tear.

But to have any credibility, one has to give credit when credit is due. And Gregory did exceed my expectations in the regular season this year, albeit not by much, and not that they were high to begin with.

Let's see what happens in the tourney. Mayhaps we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
BG did as well as could be expected with injury to carter and Golden.I expected 5 wins and we got 6 with the injuries.Actually has a chance in tourney for more.
Getting Golden was a HUGE blessing-without him I believe the team could have only scored in 30s some games.

Next yr will be a new problems. No golden nor Miller ,our def savior.Without them and Holsey we actually may be worse unless that 6-9 transfer rebounds-a LOT and Jorg EXPLODES