Film Room GT vs. VT Def Breakdown pt 2.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Thank you Sir!

I'd love to hear from our Defensive guru's your opinions on our young defensive linemen and how they are playing this season, with an eye towards our future Dline.....Adams, Glanton, Henderson, Branch etc

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
With the way most defenses align vs. shotgun teams there is usually in Gun weak formation every defender can be accounted for with a blocker

I sincerely appreciate your efforts to help us understand better our D. Please take no offense, but we probably need a little more explanation concerning the lingo such as Cover 3. I would like to know, as we see the alignment and action, the coverage and run responsibilities for the DBs and LBs, what they should be looking for, and maybe what they did or didn't do. I especially liked your pre-snap guesstimates as to what might be coming based on your instincts and experience. Since I coached at a lower level I understand the very basics but am not up to date on the modern day college level lingo, especially for pass coverages. Thanks for your contribution.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I sincerely appreciate your efforts to help us understand better our D. Please take no offense, but we probably need a little more explanation concerning the lingo such as Cover 3. I would like to know, as we see the alignment and action, the coverage and run responsibilities for the DBs and LBs, what they should be looking for, and maybe what they did or didn't do. I especially liked your pre-snap guesstimates as to what might be coming based on your instincts and experience. Since I coached at a lower level I understand the very basics but am not up to date on the modern day college level lingo, especially for pass coverages. Thanks for your contribution.

No problem. Coverage can be tough due the camera angles and not have the full defense in picture but definitely will add some type of coverage explaination

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I really need to get QuikTime to work for me like @Longestday. Any tips?
I'm not @Longestday but I think he downloads the video from YouTube using a browser plugin, and then loads that up in Quicktime for analysis. Quicktime has a screen recorder feature which records what quicktime is currently doing as well as audio from the computer's microphone. So he just interacts with Quicktime to move forward and backward and the PC records everything (including his dialogue).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If you're using windows, I'm not sure that you want to use quicktime for Windows. Last I heard, it had significant security vulnerabilities and that they weren't going to support it.

I'm not really plugged-in to the conversation so my understanding may be wrong or out-dated.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If you're using windows, I'm not sure that you want to use quicktime for Windows. Last I heard, it had significant security vulnerabilities and that they weren't going to support it.

I'm not really plugged-in to the conversation so my understanding may be wrong or out-dated.

Apple fanboy here

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Agreed on your guesses. My favorite part of this breakdown was you looking at the alignment and then giving your hunch on what they wee trying to exploit.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have an apple. I download the video using firefox browser and a plug in for firefox. I then open the video. You can use scroll on the macbook pro mouse pad (two fingers up or down). The scroll advances the video forward and back wards. I then right click on the quicktime player icon and choose screen recording. There is a red record button that pops up. Beside the red record button is a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and click on the microphone option. Next click on the record button. Use the mouse to drag a box around what you want to record on the screen. The smaller the box the smaller the file. I never record the hole screen. Click on the start record button that pops up after you drag your box. When finished with the recording you hit the stop button that appears at the top of the screen.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Being able to roll forwards and backwards at will would definitely help - I know this a labor of love but I'm sure I speak for most everyone that this is great stuff.

After watching these I definitely feel like the scheme, Roof's philosophy and approach to defense in general, is a big part of our problem. I think our DBs are fast enough and athletic enough that we should try for tighter coverage. Make the other team prove that their WR can get behind AND their QB can hit that long throw.

Question: what is the point or purpose of our DBs having outside leverage? I almost never see us line up with inside leverage.

Just looking to learn, but it seems like on 3rd and short inside leverage would let you jam the receiver on a slant, and also put you in position to be inside and able to jump any kind of out route. I'm sure there must be a reason we don't, but what do you give up by lining up inside? Would it just be outside contain on a run?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Being able to roll forwards and backwards at will would definitely help - I know this a labor of love but I'm sure I speak for most everyone that this is great stuff.

After watching these I definitely feel like the scheme, Roof's philosophy and approach to defense in general, is a big part of our problem. I think our DBs are fast enough and athletic enough that we should try for tighter coverage. Make the other team prove that their WR can get behind AND their QB can hit that long throw.

Question: what is the point or purpose of our DBs having outside leverage? I almost never see us line up with inside leverage.

Just looking to learn, but it seems like on 3rd and short inside leverage would let you jam the receiver on a slant, and also put you in position to be inside and able to jump any kind of out route. I'm sure there must be a reason we don't, but what do you give up by lining up inside? Would it just be outside contain on a run?

The easy answer is to force throws to the inside or to the help on the defense.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ok, but, it seems like that combined with our cushion, means that by design we aren't in position to contest easy first down throws.

In zone concepts, if there is a outside leverage DB then there will always be a hook/curl or curl/flat defender trying to contest that throw