GT vs. UVA Defensive Breakdown Pt. 1

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I use my iphone head phones with mic to record. That will take out the fan noise from the computer... unless you are vacuuming at the same time.

Good video.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

-Alignment, assignment must improve.
-I would like to see more Lewis on 21 personnel instead of having Lawrence Austin playing in the trenches taking on blockers. With these improvements I expect next Saturday to be a glorious day.

You'll pass these suggestions on the coach Roof, of course?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
questions:
How much freedom to players have to greendog?
in the 2nd video, on the touchdown play, if everybody was pinching down, why was the the play successful. Did 15 just not fill hard enough?
Alignmentn issues: how is this a thing? Like, we're almost at the end of the season, getting lined up right seems like a relatively basic thing, no?

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
questions:
in the 2nd video, on the touchdown play, if everybody was pinching down, why was the the play successful. Did 15 just not fill hard enough?
Alignmentn issues: how is this a thing? Like, we're almost at the end of the season, getting lined up right seems like a relatively basic thing, no?

THIS is what bothers me. Game 1, game 2 even, ok I can see some of these alignment issues. But heck in 1 YouTube video I now know several things we could be doing better just alignment-wise, BUT ITS GAME 11. How is this still a thing?!?

Also - several times I see things that make me cringe on defense where guys are catching blocks instead of being the hammer. Or catching the ball carrier instead of wrapping up and driving through. That's just an overall defensive identity issue.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
questions:

I'm really not sure on the freedom, but most coaches will tell you to trust what you see.

Gray did his job, Corey took a couple of false steps that caused him to be late to the ball.

I'm just as lost as you why alignment is still an issue at the end of the season

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
I love these videos, thank you!

When you were talking about "counting to 3," were you referring to the three WRs on that side of the field? Or were you referring to a specific WR? I took it to mean that Mitchell was responsible for "3" and where he might go. I took "3" to mean the inside slot guy who appeared to be Mizell. Since he ran an out pattern, Mitchell needed to bump out, not up? Is that what you meant?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I love these videos, thank you!

When you were talking about "counting to 3," were you referring to the three WRs on that side of the field? Or were you referring to a specific WR? I took it to mean that Mitchell was responsible for "3" and where he might go. I took "3" to mean the inside slot guy who appeared to be Mizell. Since he ran an out pattern, Mitchell needed to bump out, not up? Is that what you meant?

Yes and no
The number count starts from outside-inside. So my initial zone drop will be off the 3rd WR so Mizell was "3"

"3" can within the route. Ex: " if Mizell ran a "go" route and the middle WR ran a slant" the LB will jam the Mizell and pass him off to the deep zone and jump him the slant since the new "3" in my zone.

In the case of Mitchell, he needed to get width. Zone rule 1 is you don't zone off grass or empty field but a WR. So if you ever hear some say that our spacing is bad that more than likely what they mean