Film Study GT vs UNC Def Breakdown

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Overall looks like we had a good game plan and everyone was ready, hope to see more that against Miami. We were beating more blocks and everyone tackled well. Pretty much everyone was in position. The few times they weren't is when UNC made a little bit of hay moving the ball.

The LBer stuff seems very coachable, especially if you show them the film. Also liked seeing Vic correct his issue after a few drives with opening up the wrong way for the running back. Watching it again like this, we made a lot of good team plays and a lot of good individual plays. I wouldn't say they played badly, but definitely LBers and the nickle are where we can make the most improvement.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not as much as I can remember. This game, AJ was down in the box quite a bit. I guess we felt Surratt was a threat as a runner
The big things I saw was the Corners playing tighter and the safeties playing down some. Didn't seem like they were back peddling at the snap. Gotta love it. Do you think the LB's eyes are getting better from the past?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The big things I saw was the Corners playing tighter and the safeties playing down some. Didn't seem like they were back peddling at the snap. Gotta love it. Do you think the LB's eyes are getting better from the past?

Not really. Very inconsistent with our eye discipline

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks @Ibeeballin ! These videos are so informative!

I was glad to see that our defensive show was not entirely due to UNC being a dumpster fire on offense.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Quick question, at 28:28 in the video is that a hold? It looks like we beat the block on the edge and our player gets taken to the ground. I remember screaming at my TV at the time.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good tackling has to continue. We have to win on the outside in one on one situations. The jackets are doing a better job of slowing down players and letting the rest swarm to the ball carrier to clean it up.

Miami, Clem and VT will try us on the one on ones hoping to out athlete us.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks - I learned some things about expecting underneath coverage and loved the packages set up for Simmons and Durham pass rush. Learned some other things as well. Thank you.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we all need to give PBR an apology. I will, sorry man, you were right. Ibee totally backs up what you've been saying all along. I was actually on the talent vs scheme bandwagon originally and got convinced to switch sides by the grumbling masses with pitchforks and torches. Oh well.... here's the kicker:

Ibee: "To be honest, nothing has really changed..."

Hard to spin that one.

I'm just glad we're getting better results regardless of the reasons why. Players do improve throughout their careers. The same guy is often a much different/better player in his 4th year than he was in his first.

It could simply be the low level of competition so far. Boy, I sure hope not.