Article GT vs UCF Postgame Thread

• Highlight

Shorthanded Jackets Fall Short In Home Opener

Jahmyr Gibbs (21) runs for a touchdown (Hyosub Shin / ajc.com)

Atlanta, GA – Down six starters and depth at key positions, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1, 1-0) faded late Saturday night in their first home tilt of the 2020 season.  The Central Florida Knights (1-0, 0-0), a respected top 25 program over the last few years, emerged victorious by a final score of 49-21.

The Jackets entered the game with gaps and question marks across its Above The Line (ATL) depth chart when compared to preseason expectations.  Absent from the offense today were starters RB Jordan Mason and TE Dylan Deveney.  Another TE, Dylan Leonard, was a scratch.

The damage done to the defense made matters worse.  Tech’s defensive line was missing starters DE Antonneous Clayton, DT TK Chimedza and DL Antwan Owens along with key rotational player DE Curtis Ryans, a key cog in the Jackets’ week 1 win against Florida State.  Tech’s top CB Tre Swilling also missed his second consecutive game.

“We had to get creative in practice this week… minimal 12 personnel on offense and three down linemen on defense,” said Head Coach Geoff Collins in his postgame interview with radioman Wiley Ballard.

Let’s be clear.  Neither Collins nor the players claimed moral victories.  Save those for today’s victor who is wont for fabricated titles and hardware.

For Tech the mantra is next man up.  The team fought valiantly, showing signs of life into the 4th quarter against an opponent that most outside of the Georgia Tech program expected to roll easily today.  A 33-yard touchdown run by true freshman RB Jahmyr Gibbs narrowed the Knights’ lead to 28-21 with 13:12 remaining in the game.  The home crowd was energized as was the home team.

But football games are won on the line of scrimmage, and Tech began with one hand tied behind its back on the defensive front.  Evidence of wear and tear to that unit showed itself late as the Knights’ vaunted offense reasserted itself in the 4th quarter, scoring three consecutive touchdowns immediately after Gibbs’ jaunt without much resistance.  Tech’s offense sputtered in response, and the final chapter of the story was written.

Despite the absence of key players, the Jackets had plenty of opportunities within their control to affect the outcome of the game.  Turnovers and special teams often determine college football games and today was no different.

Following an impressive first game despite a few mistakes, QB Jeff Sims led a Tech offense today that coughed up the ball five times.  Of the Jackets five turnovers, two came thru the air and three came via the ground game.

Special teams was a mixed bag.  Rarely is “mixed bag” a positive, however after the debacle in Tallahassee that descriptor is an improvement.  The Jackets must resolve its field goal issues to become a threat in the ACC this year and in the future.  See 2014.  Otherwise, “mixed bag” will lead to a new definition for “scoring range”.

There were certainly signs of light.  Jahmyr Gibbs lived up to his billing, ripping off a 75 yard kickoff return on his first collegiate touch.  Gibbs finished with 219 all purpose yards and two touchdowns. 

Tech’s offense has now shown a pattern of improvement as compared to last year.  Sims led the offense to 471 yards of total offense.  Nine different receivers caught balls for 244 yards thru the air, demonstrating a balance and proficiency without needing to rely on one or two playmakers.  To that end, noticeably absent despite the team success were WR Ahmarean Brown and WR Jalen Camp, each of which tallied a single reception for 11 yards.

The Jackets managed 12 chunk plays, defined as passing plays of 15+ yards and running plays of 10+ yards.  The distribution was an even 6 and 6, respectively.  Overall the offense produced 5.8 yards per play and converted 7 of 15 third downs.

Last but certainly not least, punter Pressley Harvin remained an “absolute unit”, averaging 51.2 yards per punt.  Of his four punts, three ended up inside the 20, with one boom ball traveling 70 yards.

Ultimately it was feast or famine on offense.  Combined with a shorthanded defense forced to play 92 plays, the flood gates opened late for Tech’s foe.  Next week brings Tech back into ACC play with a road trip to Syracuse and an opportunity to go 2-0 in ACC play.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Interesting comment about our team being gassed. I thought it would have been the other way around with some of the hype I've read about our S&C program.

You can exercise 5-7 days a week in the gym and that doesn't necessarily mean you're ready to run full speed with a receiver every play and then sprint back to the line of scrimmage and turn around and do it again. Over and over and over with very little time to stop and breathe. Same with the DL trying to rush the passer or run down a play every play and then go do it again without any rest between plays. Our guys look to be in significantly better condition than last year but going full gas for a short period, stopping and running back to your starting position, then going full gas over and over is hard unless you specifically train that way. Don't get me wrong, of course you train to do those kinds of things just not at quite that pace. And it makes a difference.

The pace wouldn’t matter one bit if they didn’t make first downs.

Of course they have to execute the plays at that pace. But the pace does two things to help them make first downs over and above just the skill at running and executing the football movements. It keeps the defense from being able to get plays in, it keeps the defenders from being able to catch their breath for long enough to make a difference and from substituting, and it frequently puts them literally off balance from where they need their weight to be heading. If you are a DB running back to the LOS and just as you get there and get barely set the ball is snapped you may not be ready to shift your momentum in the direction the receiver is headed and that puts you a step slower than you might normally be at getting off the line. Same thing goes for every other defender. At some point you are going to get caught flat-footed or moving in the wrong direction just to get back to the LOS and your spot.

Personally I'm all for using whatever is in the rules that you can to get an advantage. UCF does it very well and I congratulate them for it. I think they also have some guys who are very good football players who execute their offense quite skillfully. I think we did a decent job of not letting the game get out of hand for 3+ quarters even when we were making a ton of mistakes. Finally our mistakes combined with their more experienced execution of their offense caught up with us and they pulled away. Congrats to them. We have work to go do in order to beat Syracuse.

Deleted member 2897

I knew it was over 400 but damn we had 490 yards total offense? Somehow, we only managed to score 21 points. I guess that is what 6 turnovers will do to you. I must take exception to your assertion that Syracuse is a bad team and we are not. We may not be a "bad" team but we are not a good team either. Good teams don't give up 49 points and over 600 yards total offense, good teams do not turn field goals and extra points into an adventure, good teams do not have breakdowns in the secondary to the point that the UCF quarterback was undecided at times about which open receiver to throw the ball to and had a clean pocket most of the game. We are a team that has improved markedly from last year when we really were a "bad" team, to the point where we should be able to beat the bad teams on our schedule. That is progress of a sorts. I was going to respond to your post complaining that we should beat Syracuse by more than 6 to 8 points but I will take a win no matter how ugly it is. "Just win, baby"

Okay fair enough, then we are not good and Syracuse is absolutely horrible.

Ok, so for those of you who have been around long enough....let's just forget last year. Last year was 2015 injury wise and youth wise. Let's just look at this year. I am encouraged because we just look better and have some players. Use that second kicker for field goals. And hope we get Mason and a TE back soon or use D Smith in the power run game....and run the ball a bit more. To me we look a lot like Tech 1995 right now. Lost some games that were right there. a 5-6 year before Fridge rejoined the team.

Deleted member 2897

Ok, so for those of you who have been around long enough....let's just forget last year. Last year was 2015 injury wise and youth wise. Let's just look at this year. I am encouraged because we just look better and have some players. Use that second kicker for field goals. And hope we get Mason and a TE back soon or use D Smith in the power run game....and run the ball a bit more. To me we look a lot like Tech 1995 right now. Lost some games that were right there. a 5-6 year before Fridge rejoined the team.

I agree 100%. Last year we’d have games of 175 yards of offense. It was like nobody knew the plays. I don’t know if we’ll win another game or several - but we are a much better football team.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Regarding being in shape, we are in shape. The problem all big teams have is you have big dudes who simply aren’t built for speed. They are in shape for the position they play. Remember the kick 6 and all of Bama’s studs not even touching the runner. Or our miracle where FSU had their big guys in for blocking. Collins is bringing in length and weight so the speed is going to be an issue except for the skilled positions. Yesterday our big guys on D barely got down in a stance before it was go time.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Hats off to UCF, they outplayed us and at this point in our rebuild are simply a better team.

IMO, every position group needs to improve. Some groups are at least a year of development away from us being a good team (my idea of good right now is 8 or 9 wins). Now, we’re light years ahead of last year and because of that I’m encouraged. Our guys just need to show up each day and get better, not take anybody for granted, play hard and when in doubt play harder.

I understand fanbases don’t want to wait until next year or 2 years down the line. Just believe that’s where we are. As we incrementally improve at each position group, we’ll win some games along the way.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Did anybody see Dingle play? He didn’t record a stat and I didn’t see him.

Really hard to know how good our DLine can be without Clayton, Ryans, and Dingle. 3 of our 4 most experienced DEs. Saw a lot of Dominick, Yondjouen, and Bennett but they were no doubt spent facing that up tempo offense. Ivey and Johnson got some time but can’t imagine they’re as effective as the 3 we were missing.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense had its moments and actually gave us opportunities to get back in game but offense flounder under young player miscues. The issue was they were forced over and over again to play on short fields and and tons of reps you give ucf to much opportunities you will be toast.

Thought we tried to pass a little too much second half... and offense got a lot of talent growing but its green.

Deleted member 2897

When we were down 7-14 points and when we had 3rd and medium to long, I enjoyed not hearing over and over “Georgia Tech’s offense isn’t built for this”. We all know that was bull****, and we frequently rated well in 3rd and long conversions, but it’s still nice to not hear that crap anymore.