Article GT vs UCF Postgame Thread

• Highlight

Shorthanded Jackets Fall Short In Home Opener

Jahmyr Gibbs (21) runs for a touchdown (Hyosub Shin / ajc.com)

Atlanta, GA – Down six starters and depth at key positions, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1, 1-0) faded late Saturday night in their first home tilt of the 2020 season.  The Central Florida Knights (1-0, 0-0), a respected top 25 program over the last few years, emerged victorious by a final score of 49-21.

The Jackets entered the game with gaps and question marks across its Above The Line (ATL) depth chart when compared to preseason expectations.  Absent from the offense today were starters RB Jordan Mason and TE Dylan Deveney.  Another TE, Dylan Leonard, was a scratch.

The damage done to the defense made matters worse.  Tech’s defensive line was missing starters DE Antonneous Clayton, DT TK Chimedza and DL Antwan Owens along with key rotational player DE Curtis Ryans, a key cog in the Jackets’ week 1 win against Florida State.  Tech’s top CB Tre Swilling also missed his second consecutive game.

“We had to get creative in practice this week… minimal 12 personnel on offense and three down linemen on defense,” said Head Coach Geoff Collins in his postgame interview with radioman Wiley Ballard.

Let’s be clear.  Neither Collins nor the players claimed moral victories.  Save those for today’s victor who is wont for fabricated titles and hardware.

For Tech the mantra is next man up.  The team fought valiantly, showing signs of life into the 4th quarter against an opponent that most outside of the Georgia Tech program expected to roll easily today.  A 33-yard touchdown run by true freshman RB Jahmyr Gibbs narrowed the Knights’ lead to 28-21 with 13:12 remaining in the game.  The home crowd was energized as was the home team.

But football games are won on the line of scrimmage, and Tech began with one hand tied behind its back on the defensive front.  Evidence of wear and tear to that unit showed itself late as the Knights’ vaunted offense reasserted itself in the 4th quarter, scoring three consecutive touchdowns immediately after Gibbs’ jaunt without much resistance.  Tech’s offense sputtered in response, and the final chapter of the story was written.

Despite the absence of key players, the Jackets had plenty of opportunities within their control to affect the outcome of the game.  Turnovers and special teams often determine college football games and today was no different.

Following an impressive first game despite a few mistakes, QB Jeff Sims led a Tech offense today that coughed up the ball five times.  Of the Jackets five turnovers, two came thru the air and three came via the ground game.

Special teams was a mixed bag.  Rarely is “mixed bag” a positive, however after the debacle in Tallahassee that descriptor is an improvement.  The Jackets must resolve its field goal issues to become a threat in the ACC this year and in the future.  See 2014.  Otherwise, “mixed bag” will lead to a new definition for “scoring range”.

There were certainly signs of light.  Jahmyr Gibbs lived up to his billing, ripping off a 75 yard kickoff return on his first collegiate touch.  Gibbs finished with 219 all purpose yards and two touchdowns. 

Tech’s offense has now shown a pattern of improvement as compared to last year.  Sims led the offense to 471 yards of total offense.  Nine different receivers caught balls for 244 yards thru the air, demonstrating a balance and proficiency without needing to rely on one or two playmakers.  To that end, noticeably absent despite the team success were WR Ahmarean Brown and WR Jalen Camp, each of which tallied a single reception for 11 yards.

The Jackets managed 12 chunk plays, defined as passing plays of 15+ yards and running plays of 10+ yards.  The distribution was an even 6 and 6, respectively.  Overall the offense produced 5.8 yards per play and converted 7 of 15 third downs.

Last but certainly not least, punter Pressley Harvin remained an “absolute unit”, averaging 51.2 yards per punt.  Of his four punts, three ended up inside the 20, with one boom ball traveling 70 yards.

Ultimately it was feast or famine on offense.  Combined with a shorthanded defense forced to play 92 plays, the flood gates opened late for Tech’s foe.  Next week brings Tech back into ACC play with a road trip to Syracuse and an opportunity to go 2-0 in ACC play.

Last edited:

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want their OC. We just got rid of a gimmick offense that half of P5 was lobbying to change the rules to make it less successful (which they did.) If we started this super-fast pace crap UNC would get rules passed to require time to replace defensive players for "Player Safety." We just need a year more and we'll smoke them.
You don't want their OC...they've scored 30+ points 39 out of their last 40 games. Don't care about competition, that's impressive. We haven't scored 30+ points since November of 2018.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
We used to score a lot of points with the TO. I just feel like most of their success is predicated on that paced offense wearing down the defense. I could be wrong, and often am, but we can do better than UCF's OC (not saying we have it now, mind you...)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Are we better on D this year? Maybe, but it is still in doubt at this point. (mainly because some of our best haven't played)

Are we better on O this year? Yes, because of talent and an improved O line - still have some gripes about play calling, but I would never be 100% happy. Not having Mason to do some dirty work inside the red zone did hurt us. My biggest concern with Sims is his vision - today he tried to run for 1st downs 2 different times when there was NO way he was going to be able to make it. He should have looked up right before getting to the LOS as there were receivers running open. There usually will be when a D thinks the QB is taking off. Hopefully, he will learn this soon.

Are we better on special teams? Probably, but 4 blocked kicks in 2 weeks is SAD. Harvin is awesome, and our kick coverage and kickoffs have been pretty good so far.
Yep Harvin made some good kicks. He flipped the field on what must have been onee over 60 yards. Still need to put the ball into the endzone on kick-offs. We still have some deficits on this team. We are far from complete in several phases of the game to be in the upper tiers of the ACC. We are not going to beat many P5 teams with 5 turnovers or give up over 600 yards on defense.

JoeyGT777

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been a Tech Fan since I was a Teen...I'm excited for the team to continue to develop and add more Talent...We are very young and being young ,One will make mistakes as we can see from this Ucf Game!!! In my Opinion Ufc is a Good team...With that being said The 5 Turnovers were bad and you will not beat anyone like that But the Refs were horrible..So many lack of Calls and complete favoritism toward Ucf...It was obvious how We couldn't even get lined up and they allowed Ucf to snap the ball but they were holding the ball and allowing Ufc defense to line up

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Can we replace #6 with Riq?
I think Riq should move to linebacker. They got separation too many times on deep routes and we got no pressure. He passed out of the pocket most of the time with little real pressure. He is a pretty darn good QB. He knew how to avoid hits on scrambles. 600 yards of offense is impressive.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the play calls were fine. Other than the dumb spike play they let our young guys play and didn’t baby them. That’s what I want. Throw them to the fire and let’s go. Collins and the team will be judged starting next year so best to cut it loose and LEARN. Right now today does anyone care about the Citadel game from last year? No, because it didn’t mean a thing, but the lesson learned was we have to have QB’s. So Collins went out and got us two. In one year from today when we are 3-0 no one will remember this game other than the takeaway to always respect your opponent and don’t turn the ball over 6 times.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts:

Sims wasn’t good today. Bad passes, bad decisions, not taking care of the ball. He took his freshman licks and hopefully he will be better off for it going forward. He also needs to take care of himself better while he is out there.

Gibbs will be one of the best players to ever play at Tech by the time he is done.

The defense seemed to be losing the chess game. Ok first quarter, bad 2nd quarter, good third quarter, horrendous 4th quarter. It felt like UCF was adjusting and by the time we adjusted back they had already scored 3-4 times.

Turnovers were an obvious issue. Far too many of them.

UCF is really good and they have a really good QB. No shame in losing to them. Without the collapse at the end it probably should have been a 7-14 point game. we were competitive most of the game.

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow
and the ref was in perfect position and didn’t throw the flag.
what, how can you say the refs are bad? I dont see any holding here. everything looks good to me
EiTmRvZUcAAI6ez

also, me
View attachment 9070

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I need help.

All I wanted as that game was in the last bit was for one of our guys to snap Gabriel’s leg. That little smug look on his face really bothered me. Agree with those who mentioned how soft he is.

Lastly, I wanted the refs caravan leaving to drive through a riot and catch a couple bricks through the window.

I know. I said I need help.

I will say the future looks bright with Sims and Gibbs. We need help at LB and I’ve been unimpressed with the secondary two weeks in a row now. Need Swilling back bad.

I was a little disappointed we didn’t get more out of our WRs this week. They looked good last week and seemed to be running free today. It almost felt like we gameplan Ed to showcase Gibbs (who was really impressive). Lot of dump offs and option routes.

Sims missed some throws he will make and missed some open guys either looking for the deeper ball or feeling the pressure. I’m confident this will get better.

Refs were as bad as I can remember seeing in a game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
New Article Posted
Shorthanded Jackets Fall Short In Home Opener

Atlanta, GA – Down six starters and depth at key positions, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1, 1-0) faded late Saturday night in their first home tilt of the 2020 season. The Central Florida Knights (1-0, 0-0), a respected top 25 program over the last few years, emerged victorious by a final score of 49-21. The Jackets entered the game with gaps and question marks across its Above The Line (ATL) depth chart when compared to preseason expectations. Absent from ...

Click here to read more ...
Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Seemed like Jalen had a pretty bad game but I'm not sure the other receivers played that badly. Sims just missed a lot of reads and he really needs to develop a deep ball because right now there's 2 weeks of tape showing you don't need safety help.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hate gimmicky offenses so I was not impressed with ucf. Yeah, yeah, I get it. It's legal and all, but the little 'run a play every 6 seconds' stuff is ... :rolleyes:

If that's what you gotta do, Central, you go ahead. Here, I'll give ya a lil' pat on yer heads.

(Ah, lay off. Feelin sour-grapey this evenin'.)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, we could have done better except for the mistakes.

The positives first:

1. Gibbs should be returning KOs for the rest of the year.
2. Dontae Smith should get more playing time.
3. I saw Griffin do something today he never did last year,. He got a handoff and there was a hole at an angle right there in front of him. Did he juke in the hole to try to gain more yards? Why, no. He ran straight ahead and gained 8 yards. If I had been on the sideline, I'd have called time out, brought him over to the sidelines, pulled his helmet off, and kissed him right there in front of everybody.
4. We had a couple of designed runs for Sims! I repeat: we had a couple of designed runs for Sims! More of that, please.
5. Our WRs and RBs continue to get open and catch the ball.
6, The D had 2 sacks and 7 TFLs. Not too shabby.

The negatives:

1. I believe I said (just checked; I did) that we couldn't have place kicks blocked and expect to beat these people.
2. Not having Mason out there late in the 3rd made a real difference.
3. You can't turn the ball over 6 times and expect to win.
4. They had 7 TFLs. This kind of thing has to stop.
5. They had 660 yards of total O. This is unacceptable.
6. We got beat over the top way too often. But … given the D players we had out this wasn't too surprising. Still, I expected bettrer coverage. Of course, having a QB who has real talent didn't hurt them.
7. Poor clock management again? What is it with this?

Things other complained about that I didn't think made much difference:

1. The refs missed as many interference/holding calls against us as they did against them.
2. Sims could be blamed for one of the interceptions. The one off a tip was a good play by two of their DLs.
3. Ok, we fumbled the ball 4 times and lost 3. Refer to #2 in the negatives above. Game experience counts. You have to work through this. It isn't really anyone's fault.

Overall, I didn't thin we played all that badly, but that was a much better outfit then FSU. Now we need to get ready for The Cuse. They're better then they've showed so far.

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You don't want their OC...they've scored 30+ points 39 out of their last 40 games. Don't care about competition, that's impressive. We haven't scored 30+ points since November of 2018.
Some people don't care about results and more about how popular the program is. I would love to have tech put up those numbers.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
We can whine about refs but it doesn’t matter. No team will win with 6 turnovers.

We fought hard when it was clear that UCF is a better team so I’m not upset. We were clearly a better team than FSU and UCF is clearly better than us. That QB was money.

Collins is assembling the pieces but we still are lacking in the personnel piece. Our DB’s got torched. Holding or no holding, we couldn’t cover and we couldn’t tackle other than Charlie Thomas.

This was the butt kicking we needed for every member of the organization. The spike play has to be the dumbest play I’ve ever seen GT make so the coaches have no where to look than the mirror. I want to by Choice dinner for getting Gibbs.
Spike play is 2nd behind Reggie Ball and the 4th down to the fans against the Dawgs