GT vs Pitt

cdouble58

Georgia Tech Fan
hello all, I am coming down for the game and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give us best place for parking and eating around the stadium? I appreciate any answers and best of luck to on Saturday, should be a good game.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
hello all, I am coming down for the game and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give us best place for parking and eating around the stadium? I appreciate any answers and best of luck to on Saturday, should be a good game.
If you download the Park Whiz app to your phone, there are several locations around West Peachtree and 5th/6th streets that won’t break the bank. 10-15 minute walk to the stadium. Also, check https://gatech.parkmobile.io/venue/bobby-dodd-stadium/events/111272.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
There’s a place called Marlows Tavern
that I have “tailgated” at before. There is a parking deck and you are about a 15 minute walk from the stadium. On the walk back there is a really good gentleman’s club that you can use a ticket stub to enter free…if you’re into that type thing.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Pickett is a Good QB no doubt but look at his whole body of work to determine just how good he is... I personally don't think he's in same ball park as Howell. Howell is a much more efficient passer and runner. If you look at Pickett body of work over past 2 years they been Solid not special. He's basically 61% completion rate 2500 and 3100 yards and 13 TDs to 9 Ints both years. This year he's off charts but he hasn't really even been challenged whatsoever. Georgia Tech is the most gifted Defense he's played so far... We weren't killed last year by Pickett we were killed by a guy
that had ridiculous day running the ball which I have seen enough of this D to know that they are night and day to last year. Keep WRs in check down field force him to take the check downs come up and tackle and pin ears back when you can...

cdouble58

Georgia Tech Fan
There’s a place called Marlows Tavern
that I have “tailgated” at before. There is a parking deck and you are about a 15 minute walk from the stadium. On the walk back there is a really good gentleman’s club that you can use a ticket stub to enter free…if you’re into that type thing.
Thank you! Really appreciate it.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't think Pitt has the fastest players, but their receivers run good routes. The receivers are fast enough, and made some of the Tennessee DBs look like fools. Their 6'6" TE is a matchup problem. Pickett is really accurate.
There's a pick in here where the Pitt safety (?) undercuts a post route and picks a Tennessee pass. Narduzzi has coached Pitt for a while, and they know their system. They're well-coached on defense, and won't make a lot of mistakes.
When they DO make a mistake, you can dust them, though.

Just highlights:

This should be the full Tenn-Pitt game. If you just watch the first two minutes, it looks like Tennessee would massacre Pitt:

Tennessee fumbled twice, and then threw an interception at the end of the game. Pitt didn't have any turnovers. Tennessee won the first quarter 10-0. Pitt woke up at the end of the first, then scored 27 points in the second quarter, and Tennessee only scored 10. Third and fourth quarters were even at 7 points each.

Tennessee basically played the UNC role in this game. Pitt could do nothing right in the first, but turned it around after that.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Watching a couple of Pitt's games, Pickett looks like a real threat on the ground, but his passer rating is crazy. He's nearly 75% completion percentage, and a ton of yards. Averaging 10.2 yards per attempt means he's getting some long passes in there--it's not a bunch of 3 yard passes

NAMECMPATTYDSCMP%AVGLNGTDINTSACKSYLRTG
Kenny Pickett QB
98​
132​
1,342​
74.2​
10.2​
67​
15​
1​
7​
-50​
195.6​

He's got 7 sacks for -50 yards (some of them are brutal), but he's got 121 yards rushing. It seems like they're mostly to his right side around the edge--opponents keep giving up contain on that side. He doesn't seem as dangerous on the left or up the middle. Maybe it's his right tackle that's the reason.

Pitt does not have a ton of rushing yards.

NAMEATTYDSAVGLNGTD
Vincent Davis RB
43​
153​
3.6​
19​
2​
Israel Abanikanda RB
33​
147​
4.5​
17​
2​
Rodney Hammond Jr. RB
26​
137​
5.3​
25​
3​
Kenny Pickett QB
30​
121​
4​
20​
2​
Daniel Carter RB
6​
31​
5.2​
11​
1​

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Watching a couple of Pitt's games, Pickett looks like a real threat on the ground, but his passer rating is crazy. He's nearly 75% completion percentage, and a ton of yards. Averaging 10.2 yards per attempt means he's getting some long passes in there--it's not a bunch of 3 yard passes

NAMECMPATTYDSCMP%AVGLNGTDINTSACKSYLRTG
Kenny Pickett QB
98​
132​
1,342​
74.2​
10.2​
67​
15​
1​
7​
-50​
195.6​

He's got 7 sacks for -50 yards (some of them are brutal), but he's got 121 yards rushing. It seems like they're mostly to his right side around the edge--opponents keep giving up contain on that side. He doesn't seem as dangerous on the left or up the middle. Maybe it's his right tackle that's the reason.

Pitt does not have a ton of rushing yards.

NAMEATTYDSAVGLNGTD
Vincent Davis RB
43​
153​
3.6​
19​
2​
Israel Abanikanda RB
33​
147​
4.5​
17​
2​
Rodney Hammond Jr. RB
26​
137​
5.3​
25​
3​
Kenny Pickett QB
30​
121​
4​
20​
2​
Daniel Carter RB
6​
31​
5.2​
11​
1​

The fact that their longest rush is 25 yards is also interesting, I think. I'm not sure what it means but it's noteworthy.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Hope the coaches don't see these lackluster rushing averages and think we don't have to plan much for the run game. Last hear Davis had 250 yards out of no where against us.

slugboy

Staff member
I talked about the Tennessee Game. Look at this nosedive as they crashed in the 2nd quarter:
1632945710132.png

Hope the coaches don't see these lackluster rushing averages and think we don't have to plan much for the run game. Last hear Davis had 250 yards out of no where against us.
NO KIDDING!

slugboy

Staff member
I tried looking at some of the advanced stats from some of their previous games, and it's hard to figure out from them how they won (a lot of their stats look bad, and a few look good). They run for a little more than their opponents, and they pass for about 130 yards more than their opponents. I didn't factor out garbage time.
They have a balanced offense. They aren't "explosive". If they get the ball past your 40, they mostly score touchdowns.

I didn't share any of their advanced stats, but you can find them here from the Tennessee game. It looks like the key is "limit Kenny Pickett".

SplitGRush YardsRush/GameAvg RushPass YardsPlaysTotal YardsYards/PlayYards/GPass %Pass Yd %
Offense vs. FBS (I-A)3394131.33.58109122614856.57495
0.513274​
0.73468​
Defense vs. FBS (I-A)3338112.73.1376220911005.26366.7
0.483254​
0.692727​