GT vs. Nebraska National Championship Game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I watched it live as a kid, have seen highlights of parts over the years, but have never sat down and rewatched the whole thing.

Something about the nostalgia of remembering it as a kid and living and dying with every big play by the good guys has prevented me from watching that game again. There's a term called "chasing the dragon" that addicts use to describe their first time getting high off a drug. That was my "chasing the dragon" moment as a GT fan...obviously, winning a National Championship is as good as it gets for any college sports fan. On top of that, GT Basketball went to the Final Four in 1990. Talk about starting off your fandom on highs.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
1990, what a time to be a young Jacket fan! So much fun being a middle schooler around all my mutt buddies! Briefly converted my best friend!
Was a middle schooler at that time as well - found myself both in Orlando for the Citrus Bowl and in Knoxville, New Orleans, and Denver for the NCAA tournament that year. Had been a fan for longer, but man, that year stands out in my memories. Good times as a young fan.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Was a middle schooler at that time as well - found myself both in Orlando for the Citrus Bowl and in Knoxville, New Orleans, and Denver for the NCAA tournament that year. Had been a fan for longer, but man, that year stands out in my memories. Good times as a young fan.
Do you remember SHAMU flying overhead?! We should arrange for him to come back next year and fly over BDS for good luck!
21-0 in the first 1/4!…believe it or not we were really good at one time!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I saw among others--the Ala comeback with Joe Namath at BDS in '64.. The defensive game of the decade with uTn at BDS in '66.. ---I'm starting to think the unc game this yr will stand out (in desperation) in the future.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I saw among others--the Ala comeback with Joe Namath at BDS in '64.. The defensive game of the decade with uTn at BDS in '66.. ---I'm starting to think the unc game this yr will stand out (in desperation) in the future.
It seems that I remember 1964 vs UA as not all that close. I don't think we came close to touching Joe all day. I think we lost like 24-7. IIRC, we won the first 7 that year and lost to Tennessee, Alabama, and at UG. That was my first live Tech vs UG game. Tech was down 7-0 late and Johnny Gresham returned a punt a long way and almost scored. So, they called it back for clipping.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It seems that I remember 1964 vs UA as not all that close. I don't think we came close to touching Joe all day. I think we lost like 24-7. IIRC, we won the first 7 that year and lost to Tennessee, Alabama, and at UG. That was my first live Tech vs UG game. Tech was down 7-0 late and Johnny Gresham returned a punt a long way and almost scored. So, they called it back for clipping.
Golden memories 1.1

alagold

Helluva Engineer
yep, with Bama we were doing ok in 1st half at 7-7.But Namath rips us in 2nd half. (at least I saw him at work in person)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
yep, with Bama we were doing ok in 1st half at 7-7.But Namath rips us in 2nd half. (at least I saw him at work in person)
It is hard to explain Namath to non-believers. A guy who completed barely 50 of his passes, by today's standards did not throw all that many TDs or for great yardage. But that was before Bill Walsh and his West Coast offense, the dinks and dunks down the field which receivers turned into yardage and scores.The Namath era QBs threw down the field, repeatedly, 35-40 yards. They held the ball longer and thus got hammered more often by LBs and lineman with evil intent and little regard for the whistle. (They figured if they were in motion when the whistle blew, it was legal.)

Personally I liked that brand of offense better.