GT vs NC State

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey, couldn't watch, what happened with Stephens in the 2nd half? Saw he had 11 early then not much.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Standard procedure for GT under Brian Gregory: Squander a lead.

I expected us to lose this game. I didn't expect us to beat Boston College on the road.

But I still have us winning only 4 ACC games in the regular season. This team is just bad.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
wow. really unfortunate (and IMO horrible) call by the refs. A push-off? Really? To end the game?

He pushed off.

Their guy pushed off too (scoop on the drive) on the last play of regulation.

I think Golden's play was more obvious, but there is an inconsistency. Go back and watch the last scoring play by NC State in regulation too.

/

Last edited:

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Standard procedure for GT under Brian Gregory: Squander a lead.

There is some truth to this, but we don't lose this game at home. Their crowd was big and loud, and they started making some huge shots when their crowd got into it. Add in a little home-cooking by the officials, and some stumbles down the stretch, and there it is--a 2-pt OT loss on the road in the ACC. You have to be really good (or really lucky) to win on the road in the ACC. We are not really good. However, I don't believe we are as bad as you say we are either.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Why do we have Kam Holsey guarding their best offensive threat. Not just the last offensive play for them either. He was guarding him much of the game. I prefer MGH or QStephens defending. Both are more agile that Holsey. Sorry jmo.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Why do we have Kam Holsey guarding their best offensive threat. Not just the last offensive play for them either. He was guarding him much of the game. I prefer MGH or QStephens defending. Both are more agile that Holsey. Sorry jmo.

I think Kam did a good job against him. Kam is a one trick pony with that jump hook, he travels bad on just about every play, and he puts a little extra oomf on his screens which finally got called yesterday. That last point is the most important when playing defense. Holsey is aggressive and will let you know he's there on defense. MGH and Q are more finesse players and while they have much greater skill than Holsey, they would have been outmatched against Warren

The biggest issue on this team is stamina and unfortunately it's not really something that can be worked on during the season. We went into the season expecting 10+ players to get minutes, now we have 9 and at least one of which was not part of that 10 (though I have been impressed with Heyward.) The stamina issue can be seen in lazy passes and missed jump shots in the 2nd half especially the last 10 minutes of the game. Also our post guys seem to lose their ability to back guys into the rim and finish hard. Every guy on the team should be prepared to play 35 minutes, but none are prepared to play more than 25. If you have a knock against CBG this might be it. It wouldn't be an issue if we had more players, but the reality is we don't and the team which seems to be peaking in their level of play at the right time of the season just can't seem to get it done.

CBG has done a lot well including in game management, set plays, getting the team to peak during ACC play, and recruiting (although that seems to have died off - we need one more high level guy or a big class this next year.) The final inbounds play was run to perfection with 2 seconds left in the game and had Bolden sunk the jumper CBG would have gotten all of the credit. FWIW, I really enjoyed 44 minutes and 58 seconds of ACC basketball yesterday. Hopefully he learns from the stamina issue this year and has the team ready to go next year. Who would have thought we would have lost 2 major players and one would go crazy through the season?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think Kam did a good job against him. Kam is a one trick pony with that jump hook, he travels bad on just about every play, and he puts a little extra oomf on his screens which finally got called yesterday. That last point is the most important when playing defense. Holsey is aggressive and will let you know he's there on defense. MGH and Q are more finesse players and while they have much greater skill than Holsey, they would have been outmatched against Warren

The biggest issue on this team is stamina and unfortunately it's not really something that can be worked on during the season. We went into the season expecting 10+ players to get minutes, now we have 9 and at least one of which was not part of that 10 (though I have been impressed with Heyward.) The stamina issue can be seen in lazy passes and missed jump shots in the 2nd half especially the last 10 minutes of the game. Also our post guys seem to lose their ability to back guys into the rim and finish hard. Every guy on the team should be prepared to play 35 minutes, but none are prepared to play more than 25. If you have a knock against CBG this might be it. It wouldn't be an issue if we had more players, but the reality is we don't and the team which seems to be peaking in their level of play at the right time of the season just can't seem to get it done.

CBG has done a lot well including in game management, set plays, getting the team to peak during ACC play, and recruiting (although that seems to have died off - we need one more high level guy or a big class this next year.) The final inbounds play was run to perfection with 2 seconds left in the game and had Bolden sunk the jumper CBG would have gotten all of the credit. FWIW, I really enjoyed 44 minutes and 58 seconds of ACC basketball yesterday. Hopefully he learns from the stamina issue this year and has the team ready to go next year. Who would have thought we would have lost 2 major players and one would go crazy through the season?

I like your assessment. But from watching Kam defend he is able to alter shots but offers less lateral quickness in defense off the dribble. That is why I imo I would have had Stephens on him. He offers both the ability to alter the shot and more later quickness when guarding the ball. Again just my opinion. Either way we lost.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer

Ummm where have you been? Kam gets called for an offensive foul every game he plays in. He is aggressive and thats about all he gets credit for. He and Bolden have become liabilities. Key turnovers and awful fouls that just kill momentum, whether coming from behind or keeping a lead. To respond.to other posts about coaching... How do you not get the ball to Q in the 2nd half? Thats unacceptable. Should never have been in that position in the 1st place. I agree the refs swallow their whistles once the crowd comes to life. Also they try to let teams come back to make it interesting. Not thinking the team ahead will give up the lead. Then once its real close the calls sway to the home team, therefore resulting in amazing "comebacks"