GT vs Illinois

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
ACC-Big10 Challenge tonight.

Y'all think we can get it done tonight? I remember thinking last year's game at their place was gonna be a blowout but we came out and really showed well until late.

Once again, we have the talent to make it a game. The question is will we.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I have very little optimism about tonight's game. Our season has unfolded about as bad as I could have predicted. Maybe my expectations were too high coming into the year, but I feel as though we haven't taken a collective step forward as a team.

Our offense is really not clicking right now, and we simply are a bad jump shooting team.

I hope Solo keeps taking those steps forward that we have seen in the past couple of games and becomes a player that can break down opposing defenses and hit the jump shot. He has the potential to be very special.

We need somebody to be a consistent 3 point threat. I'm looking at you bolden...

And for crying out loud can Miller please get some more shots during the game, he is shooting 63%!!

On defense we simply need to have better effort.

I have no doubt Coach Gregory knows what this team needs, the question is can he lead and teach them to make the necessary changes. Honestly I have very little optimism but hopefully I am wrong

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The sad thing for me is that I actually have a voice saying, "Let's just not lose by 20." I'm practically numb by our poor play. I always go into games expecting and rooting for a win. I hate this attitude when I see it in people on the football forum, that's why I started that other thread asking for some insights on which I can build some hope.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The sad thing for me is that I actually have a voice saying, "Let's just not lose by 20." I'm practically numb by our poor play. I always go into games expecting and rooting for a win. I hate this attitude when I see it in people on the football forum, that's why I started that other thread asking for some insights on which I can build some hope.

My hope continues to rest on the notion that we have talented guys up and down the roster. We have both experienced guys, young guys and young-experienced guys. We should be better. It's got to show up at some point.

I agree with much of what GTrob wrote. My one gripe is the same as I have with just about everyone's assessment of the team, the jump shooting. To me, it's not our prowess as jumpshooters that's the problem. We're taking bad shots. Too many of our shots are admittedly open, but not good shots. Early in the clock, late in the clock, off-balance, double-clutching, etc. We're taking long 2's (which is probably the worst shot in all of basketball) and just making things harder on ourselves than they need to be. For me, the problem is poor offensive strategy and lack of a facilitator (which are problems we've had for years).

Poole shows flashes of being able to be the guard we need. He'll probably be that as a Jr/Sr. Just my humble ramblings of course.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, GT has not had a "certified, card carrying, point guard" since Jarrett Jack. Until proven wrong I will say that Solo is a scorer who can handle the ball. Same same Golden.

We lost our true point when Jorgenson went down. We will need to play this season, like last season, w/o a true point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, GT has not had a "certified, card carrying, point guard" since Jarrett Jack. Until proven wrong I will say that Solo is a scorer who can handle the ball. Same same Golden.

We lost our true point when Jorgenson went down. We will need to play this season, like last season, w/o a true point.

Pretty much. And that hurts, especially at PG-U.

Just had a nice run after a slow start. Carter, MGH and *gasp* Bolden contributing. 26-24 Illini, 3:12 left in the 1st.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Tech up at the half. Played well the last 5 minutes on both ends of the court.

Pity Miller. He will probably not be a major factor in the NBA, if he even makes a team. But he will play overseas and put $10 million or so in the bank.
Poor guy! Will have to survive on Spam and Potted Meat. I still wonder what Fox at UGA was thinking when he ran Miller out of town. If everyone played with Miller's "presence" on the court, GT would player in the conference.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
If I were the coach, a certain guard of ours wouldn't see the floor until he showed me that he is ready to play. He looks like He simply doesn't care and has cost our team 7 points..

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If I were the coach, a certain guard of ours wouldn't see the floor until he showed me that he is ready to play. He looks like He simply doesn't care and has cost our team 7 points..

I've tried not to pile on him but ... I can't disagree with you. Love how coach gets on Poole in the huddle though for one bad shot. Sigh.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I've tried not to pile on him but ... I can't disagree with you. Love how coach gets on Poole in the huddle though for one bad shot. Sigh.

I saw that too, granted it was a bad shot, but still, Solo is hustling out there... I guess its just a pet peeve of mine, but it seems like a few of our guys just aren't really trying that hard.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
sign.... we are down by 12, and we pass around till there is 4 left on the shot clock...never once taking it inside the paint...