GT vs. Georgia St.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Georgia State is a very strong opponent to start the year with. Should be interesting and a very good game.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea, I had to do a double check of the schedule this morning because I wasn't believing we had a game this week. Obviously I think our starting 5 is going to be no shockers.

1 - Alvarado
2 - Devoe
3 - Moore
4 - Usher
5 - Moses

I expect this purely out of experience. Moore might be the only question mark for me, he has solid games in his career but then disappears in a lot of others. So his spot would be the only one I would say might be a surprise with someone else playing, but I expect him to start in the first game of the season.

I expect Sturdivant, Saba, Howard and Parham to get some minutes.

Deleted member 2897

As much as I was going to say someone with experience at the 5 like Howard might start, Moses knows the system. We’ll see, let’s start 1-0!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
There isn't really any benefit to playing Moore at the 3 instead of a true center with Usher at the 3 and Wright at the 4.
I think we need to see the centers first - and then see if Usher has become or one of the new players is a legit 3 point shooter now.

slugboy

Staff member
The only two starters I’m sure of are Alvarado and Devoe. Usher is definitely up there. I don’t know if we start a 7’1” frosh at center in Saba, or a 6’9”-6’10” upper classman. I’d be surprised of a freshman had the footwork to start yet.
I’ll be surprised with whatever we roll out—hopefully, it’ll be a positive surprise.
ETA: If Paster is saying this about Wright, I have to think he starts:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Am jacked up to see basketball again. I wasn't sure (still am not) that it would happen - but hoping like heck that it does.

I think Alvarado and Devoe will play 30+ minutes, with the rest of the guards all rotating in and getting looks, we will also see Devoe at the point for a small amount of minutes.

Also think we will rotate at the 5 fairly heavily to get the new guns some minutes and that will cause a carousel at the 3,4 and 5 with Moore, Moses and Usher.

I would be shocked to see any minutes without one of Devoe or Alvardo and the same for Usher or Moses. I also think Moses is a lock to start (as is Devoe and Alvarado) it is a wash for me about if Moses comes out in the 5 or 4 first though.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we get some decent play out of ONE of the new bigs.--just some good def and REBs would be enough hopefully.
This "no scrimmage" idea has got me worried.How can you see how the new guys play?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My starting 5:

1 - Alvarado
2 - Devoe
3 - Usher
4 - Wright
5 - Howard

Howard will do enough with his size/strength/experience to free up Moses at the 4. I have ZERO doubts Howard probably got the equivalent of 3 years of development under Reveno so far compared to what he would have gotten at UGA. Look at what Reveno was able to do for Lammers and Banks...if Howard is half the player that Lammers or Banks was their first season under Reveno, we'll be just fine. Saba also shouldn't be discounted for some productive minutes. He's got a Euro game at the 5 (not to mention he's a legit 7 footer!), and I think with our guards, that's going to lead to some interesting sets and matchups. Something tells me between Howard and Saba, we are going to be more than just fine at the 5. Different players at the 5, but also a heck of a lot of opportunities given their skillsets.

The only thing that worries me about playing GA State is the way Pastner has structured practice for Covid precautions. We'll see how that works out, but GA State isn't a gimme game. Luckily, most of our guys have multiple years playing with each other, it's just a matter of knocking off the rust fast enough.

If we keep the turnovers down, this should be a 10+ point win.

Anyhow...I'm excited as heck that the season is almost here. After all these difficult years, we're gonna have a team that should be able to compete with anyone...and that includes the top teams in the ACC. Looking forward to a fun season, gentlemen (and ladies)!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If this was a normal season with normal lead-in practices, I might feel different than I do today. Having played with the same guys for three full seasons in HS and then entering college ball knowing no one, I believe we will need some time for the newcomers to meld their tendencies and skills with the returnees.

Here are my thoughts:

Howard will have a tough transition to the very different offense and defense at uga than at GT. I hope he will concentrate on learning to play the middle of the 3-1-3 zone and know how to find his man when CJP calls for M2M. We do not need him to be an offensive priority. He does not have to be James Banks.

Saba has a different transition. The inside players he will be facing in the ACC are grown men with a lot more bulk on their bodies. He needs to adjust to that. If he has, he will be the starter at some point this year.

Sturdivant needs to remember what he does well. When he is in the game he needs to be a defense 1st player. Hopefully, he will be paired with DeVoe and not be expected to fill the bucket from outside.

Maxwell knows he was recruited to be a shooter. I worry he will be a work in progress on defense. I am very optimistic he will be a year-two starter if he develops on that side of the ball.

Meka could be the guy who plays the inside of the 1-3-1 zone if Howard and Saba falter. I do not expect mush from him offensively this year, but he a tremendous athlete.

The bottom line is that we are trying to work five new players into the lineup. Do not expect all five to make it.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I literally don’t understand how to watch this game. I have xfinity with all the sports packages they have available in Houston, and have Hulu tv for ACC network.
Somehow I can watch GaSt play S Alabama Saturday, but not GTv GaSt?!

banging head into keyboard

Has anyone found a streaming package that will cover the game for those of us not in Atl or FSS market?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I literally don’t understand how to watch this game. I have xfinity with all the sports packages they have available in Houston, and have Hulu tv for ACC network.
Somehow I can watch GaSt play S Alabama Saturday, but not GTv GaSt?!

banging head into keyboard

Has anyone found a streaming package that will cover the game for those of us not in Atl or FSS market?
Download fox sports go and log into a friends account who lives in the fox sports south area?