GT vs. Ga Sou

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Awinisawinisawin .....

In years past, this would've been an inexplicable loss we'd blame on the holiday and move on.

Give them credit for guttin it out, taking control, and not losing it.

And I need Devoe's middle name so I can address him properly. You gotta call serial killers by all 3 names and that dude is clearly that.

And we all know this is usually a spectacular, banked-in 3pt shot to beat us. I dang near pooped a cat when the dude rose up.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Awinisawinisawin .....

In years past, this would've been an inexplicable loss we'd blame on the holiday and move on.

And I need Devoe's middle name so I can address him properly. You gotta call serial killers by all 3 names and that dude is clearly that.

And we all know this is usually a spectacular, banked-in 3pt shot to beat us. I dang near pooped a cat when the dude rose up.
Was his foot on the line

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
a few observations...
1. kyle still trying to figure out his offensive role/limits, which imo is making him play a bit too cautious. he passed up 2 or 3 quality looks in the final stretch. could call it lack of confidence, or lack of freedom from coach (short leash). not sure what it is, but he did not want the shot. (i say this as a fan of kyle and believer in his game.)
2. deebo needs more than 3 FGA per game -- this TEAM needs deebo to take more than 3 shots per game. (and thats in a game tonight that mike did not start and deivon sat out.) i suspect it is a combo of him not forcing shots (good quality) and the princeton stuff takes time to get a feel for and sense for when your opportunities are there. if im pastner, im trying to add some calls to get deebo some intentional looks rather than just coming off his own live-action reads.
3. the vets really turned up the effort 2nd half. usher, devoe, khalid, kyle, rodney. seemed like pastner's bench/rotations got much shorter second half.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My biggest gripe with Pastner in years’ past was his teams finding ways to lose games we shouldn’t in November and December. There’s always some kind of excuse tied to them: injury bug, young team, sickness, non-contact practices, finals week, etc. This game was one that we probably lose in past years, along with the UGA game. I’m really glad we’re finally figuring out how win games in November like a true tournament team should. Let’s take 2 of 3 from our P5 OOC games and steamroll GaSt and AL A&M and ACC play will take care of itself

LibertyTurns

Banned
My biggest gripe with Pastner in years’ past was his teams finding ways to lose games we shouldn’t in November and December. There’s always some kind of excuse tied to them: injury bug, young team, sickness, non-contact practices, finals week, etc. This game was one that we probably lose in past years, along with the UGA game. I’m really glad we’re finally figuring out how win games in November like a true tournament team should. Let’s take 2 of 3 from our P5 OOC games and steamroll GaSt and AL A&M and ACC play will take care of itself
Are we going to be favored in any of the next 4 games?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Given that this team was basically just doing drills this week and just watching film with no contact practice...you take the ugly win and just move on. I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day.

Looks like Devoe found his new role...Super 6th man! Obviously kidding, but Devoe this season is reminding me a bit of Alvarado last season. Just willing us to victories. It's not just his scoring either.

Usher struggled shooting, but as with most Usher games, he's going to contribute in other areas. Defending and rebounding was at a very good level for Usher this game even though his scoring was off.

Sturdivant is starting to play well. That's going to help so much when he's on as well from our PG spot.

I think we're starting to see Howard settle into a 8-10 point/6-8 rebs type center for us. As long as he's improving each game, that's what we're going to have to live with this season at the 5. Of course, Reveno's big men tend to improve and play their best towards the 2nd half of seasons.

Was hoping Coleman would take a step up, but he seemed to defer to his older teammates when he was on the court today.

Khalid Moore needs to really step up in games like these. He's a senior, and this is his time. With a lot of the guys ailing, and Usher struggling, Moore has to step up his game. Played probably his worst game of the season. Luckily, he's a better player than we've seen today...and we won, so at least it wasnt' a game we depended on him contributing more.

Looking forward to the Wisconsin game and getting our guys healthy. Should be a fun game.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Are we going to be favored in any of the next 4 games?
I think we might be favored against UNC at home depending on how our B1G matchups go. UNC isn’t exactly lighting it up right now, but their 2 losses are to ranked teams. They can score which worries me since my biggest concern about us is defense. Neither LSU or USC will have played a “real” game yet, although LSU is playing Penn State tonight. USC is also playing 2 more games than we are from now until our matchup on Dec. 18, so maybe we’ll have more time to prepare and be well rested than they will.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, any of them expected to be close? We’re 5-1, was hoping we’d not end up 5-5.
Personally, I think we have a slugger's chance at both UNC and LSU. UNC hasn't been known for defense for a while now, and LSU usually has good athletes but not much discipline. But, the caveat is that I have seen very little of either team thusfar, just going on the usual type of teams they are.

Wisconsin I watched against St. Mary's. They're better than us, The building will not be full and there will be plenty of Wisky fans there. Their offensive efficiency was great down the stretch, and their defense is...well, they have led the Big Ten in defense for a few years now. USC will eat us alive on the inside. I think those two are definite losses. 2-2 is my hope.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Awinisawinisawin .....

Just keep winnin'!!

Great that after that first hiccup we have avoided the usual pre-season head-scratching losses.

slugboy

Staff member
Well, any of them expected to be close? We’re 5-1, was hoping we’d not end up 5-5.
They’ll probably all be close, and we might get some upsets in there. I haven’t looked ahead to see where we might have a favorable matchup. I just hope we’re 100% for Wisconsin.

It’s not Gonzaga, Baylor, Kansas, and Purdue.

It’s just an example, but we’re #60 in KenPom. UNC is 51, Wisconsin is 32, LSU is 20, and USC is 19. There are some tough games in there, but we’ve shown a lot of grit so far this season. We’re also still learning to play together. But Wisconsin, UNC, and LSU are all home games, which helps.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
They’ll probably all be close, and we might get some upsets in there. I haven’t looked ahead to see where we might have a favorable matchup. I just hope we’re 100% for Wisconsin.

It’s not Gonzaga, Baylor, Kansas, and Purdue.

It’s just an example, but we’re #60 in KenPom. UNC is 51, Wisconsin is 32, LSU is 20, and USC is 19. There are some tough games in there, but we’ve shown a lot of grit so far this season. We’re also still learning to play together. But Wisconsin, UNC, and LSU are all home games, which helps.
LSU is at State Farm. Does that count as a home game or neutral site?