GT vs. FSU, Wednesday Jan 26 at 9pm

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Usher played a fantastic game. Others played great, too, but I gotta tip my hat to Jordan after this one.

That said....
Jordan Usher, Atlanta native > Matthew Cleveland, Atlanta native
Last night? agree 100%. Overall, Jordan has played 116 games over five seasons. Cleveland has played 18 games. He won't make it to 40, as he will be in the league next year. I think if we compared Cleveland at 23 years with Usher, things may have evolved.

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
Great game by the jackets! Not related to this game but does anybody else feel like we would play like 5 Clayton state games in a row to start each season just to get the ball rolling and avoid our slow starts every year. I know it’s not super exciting but starting off on a winning streak and seeing if the momentum will keep going seems like a reasonable strategy then throw a couple mid majors in there to start ramping up

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Usher played a fantastic game. Others played great, too, but I gotta tip my hat to Jordan after this one.

That said....

Last night? agree 100%. Overall, Jordan has played 116 games over five seasons. Cleveland has played 18 games. He won't make it to 40, as he will be in the league next year. I think if we compared Cleveland at 23 years with Usher, things may have evolved.
Yea, I agree for the most part. I've seen Cleveland a few times this year. Not sure I see obvious NBA SF at 6'7", even allowing for growth potential, but he's certainly in the conversation to leave after 1 year. Probably should, imo.

Part of the agenda in my snark is a reference to the TV announcers who, minimally, 4-5 times said "Matthew Cleveland, the Atlanta native...". I wore out the chat room and didn't let it go last night.

slugboy

Staff member
🤞Got a shot to start moving up if we can get a streak going 🤞
1643294357956.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@slugboy all the rest of our games are winnable if we play like we did last night. And, there is not much separation between us and Louisville.

I wonder if we would be an NIT possible by going 9-3, then 1-1 in the ACCT? That would give us a 20-14 record. Hmm...

Split with Miami and Clemson, then win at ND or UVA. Likely? No, but certainly possible.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes. That’s when it started.

Prior to that it was a call and response led by Chief Knockahoma.
I remembered that it had more to do with FSU doing it at their games and their popularity in the Southeast in that era.

FSU ruled college football back then and I thought it trickled over from there. Just happened to be a coincidence that Deion was then a Brave.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I remembered that it had more to do with FSU doing it at their games and their popularity in the Southeast in that era.

FSU ruled college football back then and I thought it trickled over from there. Just happened to be a coincidence that Deion was then a Brave.
No that’s not it. Each player used to have an introduction when they came to the plate often from the organist or the matrix board screen. Deion had adoring fsu fans who helped propel the introduction.

Seemed like a good idea at the time but now makes us look like yokels. Should have stopped after Deion left. And I agree that it is an obnoxious fsu fetish on par with barking dogs.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Place looked like it was rocking last night, nice to see. First time in a long time it felt like the defense was up to prior years standards. Thought they were running out of gas around the five minute mark but they finished strong.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the game. Great game. Great win. Great experience.

Tech’s defense was definitely a key to winning, and conversely, ball security on offense was also key. At the half FSU had 12 turnovers to GT’s 3.

GT shared the ball well on offense with a high assists to made baskets ration for the 2nd game in a row, this time assisting on 15/24 made fg’s (62.5%). Quite a few of those assists came from kick-outs to spotted up shooters off of dribble penetration, which is something that a lot of us on this board have been wishing to see. Devoe in particular did a good job, especially in the first half, of collapsing the defense with dribble penetration and then finding open shooters spotted up in the corners. An important difference from previous games is that he made quick, timely, kick-out passes off the dribble instead of over penetrating then picking up his dribble and pivoting, which he sometimes does, and which allows the defense time to recover and fill passing lanes or close out on the perimeter shooters.

Hope the team can ride this momentum to another win on Saturday against Miami.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I was curious so I googled. There does seem to be some truth that the chant became popular with the Braves only after Deion became a team member.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp...es-chant-explained/1gnqgfc79vser1mo60fr4xcba3
Seems about right to me. We never did the chop when I was growing up. We had good ol' Chief Nocahoma beating his drum by the tepee. Loved watching Hank Aaron and those guys play ball. Felix Millan may have been the slickest 2nd baseman to ever play for the Bravos.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
On a side note, having been at the game last night, the reported attendance was around 4600 out of 8600, barely 50%, and a good many of those 4600 were wearing garnet. Yet, the GT home crowd noise and energy were good. In post-game interviews, both Usher and Sturdivant acknowledged the GT fan noise and energy in the building as being an important component of their winning play on the court. I can’t wait for the day when the Thrillerdome is packed to the domed rafters with a capacity crowd of 8600 GT fans.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
uhhhh..did I miss something here, or do you think that the Braves started doing the chop because of Deion?
FSU got the chop from the KC Chiefs. I remember the Braves getting it from FSU during the Worst to First run. Deion was not part of that team. It's annoying as hell, and I'm a huge Braves fan.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Seems about right to me. We never did the chop when I was growing up. We had good ol' Chief Nocahoma beating his drum by the tepee. Loved watching Hank Aaron and those guys play ball. Felix Millan may have been the slickest 2nd baseman to ever play for the Bravos.
Those were the days. Felipe Alou, Rico Carty, Joe Torre, Mack Jones and Clete Boyer were all capable of fireworks.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
🤞Got a shot to start moving up if we can get a streak going 🤞
View attachment 12029
This doesn't make sense. The league records are how you rank the teams in the league, not the overall record. Miami at 7-2 is leading the ACC. Duke and FSU are tied for 2nd at 6-2. at 2-6, we're only ahead of VT. All this being said, it's still early. I think we're 8 games into an 18 or 20 game ACC schedule. Lots of time for lots of movement.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
On a side note, having been at the game last night, the reported attendance was around 4600 out of 8600, barely 50%, and a good many of those 4600 were wearing garnet. Yet, the GT home crowd noise and energy were good. In post-game interviews, both Usher and Sturdivant acknowledged the GT fan noise and energy in the building as being an important component of their winning play on the court. I can’t wait for the day when the Thrillerdome is packed to the domed rafters with a capacity crowd of 8600 GT fans.

Yeah the only atmosphere was generated by the students. The attendance from regular ticketholders has been poor all year. It’s a shame