GT vs FSU Uniform Reveal

THWG

Helluva Engineer
How many so-called BIG schools ever break away from tradition?
A lot of them. Honestly, the only schools that I can think of who have never worn some kind of alternate are Alabama, Penn State, USC, and Michigan. Ohio State has worn a lot of alternates. Oregon became the cool school because they wore something different every week. Florida wears an alternate every year. FSU has alternates, Ugag has worn a couple. Besides, I love GT, but are we really a "BIG" school? We need to do things differently like Oregon or TCU to get noticed. It's what recruits like and it might help us become the cool school.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How many so-called BIG schools ever break away from tradition?
Well, how much time you got? Because off the top of my head I can think of:
LSU, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee, Georgia, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Ohio State, Washington, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Arizona State, Colorado, Arkansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Nebraska, South Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA , Utah, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers, Syracuse, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Pitt, Virginia, Stanford

Schools I can think of that haven’t broken from tradition recently:
Alabama, Penn State, USC, Auburn, Texas, Michigan, Clemson.
And Michigan and Clemson have worn occasional alternates through the years. Clemson wears alternate purple every year, but that has become a tradition so I don’t really count it. Michigan wore all maize unis, and Stanford has worn all black.
5F0716EB-3AE7-4488-BE47-4AD3FFC32983.jpeg

Last edited:

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of them. Honestly, the only schools that I can think of who have never worn some kind of alternate are Alabama, Penn State, USC, and Michigan. Ohio State has worn a lot of alternates. Oregon became the cool school because they wore something different every week. Florida wears an alternate every year. FSU has alternates, Ugag has worn a couple. Besides, I love GT, but are we really a "BIG" school? We need to do things differently like Oregon or TCU to get noticed. It's what recruits like and it might help us become the cool school.
Michigan has worn alternates and Alabama actually used to wear white helmets. They wore them against us in 1984, but they wore them frequently in the 60's and 70's I believe.

Other than Oregon, whom I wouldn't in the least bit want to emulate, none of the schools you named wear uniforms so "alternate" that they are not recognizable. I promise you that when most football people think of Tech, they think of White and Gold. Why stray from our true brand, seeking to find a new one that doesn't in the least reflect our traditions. Unfortunately, because of stupid NCAA rules in the 80s, we are stuck with blue, but until Detroit, that was only blue jerseys. It makes no sense to play around with who we have been since, I guess, the 20s, when uniforms started reflecting the school colors.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Collins is supposedly big on branding. Do you see Coca Cola changing shades of red or changing their script? Budweiser? McDonalds? A consistent identity is what builds a brand.

I have mixed opinions about this issue. We need the recruiting "cool" factor. But changing the identity presented on TV every week doesn't build a brand. If the cool factor is what it's about, go full Oregon. What we are doing isn't full cool and it isn't building a brand.

GTAA Marketing must be selecting the uniforms. That's the only explanation.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Other than Oregon, whom I wouldn't in the least bit want to emulate, none of the schools you named wear uniforms so "alternate" that they are not recognizable. I promise you that when most football people think of Tech, they think of White and Gold. Why stray from our true brand, seeking to find a new one that doesn't in the least reflect our traditions. Unfortunately, because of stupid NCAA rules in the 80s, we are stuck with blue, but until Detroit, that was only blue jerseys. It makes no sense to play around with who we have been since, I guess, the 20s, when uniforms started reflecting the school colors.
downloadfile.png

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Collins is supposedly big on branding. Do you see Coca Cola changing shades of red or changing their script? Budweiser? McDonalds? A consistent identity is what builds a brand.

I have mixed opinions about this issue. We need the recruiting "cool" factor. But changing the identity presented on TV every week doesn't build a brand. If the cool factor is what it's about, go full Oregon. What we are doing isn't full cool and it isn't building a brand.

GTAA Marketing must be selecting the uniforms. That's the only explanation.
No, having success is what builds a brand. Oregon has success wearing multiple uniforms, so that became their “brand.”
Alabama has success wearing the same uniforms, so that’s been their “brand.”

Coca-Cola has changed their logo and brand numerous times throughout the years. As have numerous other Fortune 500 companies
F09FECD9-57FA-402F-983A-5A6B935E9FE6.jpg

862375E4-11B0-4366-9C19-C2DC18DCB98A.jpeg

310D0703-0C52-430C-8ED5-CEB27E1B0335.jpeg

White, gold, and navy blue are part of Georgia Tech’s brand. As are the GT, Buzz, and the Reck. All of those emblems and colors represent Georgia Tech, and they have been, and will continue to be, used to signify Georgia Tech. If Georgia Tech Is successful, then our brand will become recognizable. You cannot build a brand without success, because there will be no recognition.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Those are butt-ugly. I THINK that's a Florida uniform; if so I doubt their fans like them either.
It was Florida. Just an example of a team breaking tradition. I've got one for Ohio State and ugag that are as bad as that.

Edit: Notre Dame has one worse than that too that they wore a few years ago.