GT vs Clemson Final Stats/Participation Report

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
C3969FCC-D63D-4105-A737-D2108AA8AA04.jpeg

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Please tell me how a guy who’s never played the position is a proven starter after a day of mop of duty. Collins has coached 20+ DBs that have played in the NFL, and yet here you are armchair coaching that a project player should start.

Right? I feel like Walton has been one of our best players on defense this year. He's usually right there in coverage and has done a better job getting his head around. I love his length and feel like he's more than held his own. Tre is obviously doing his job as he's rarely targeted.

Our issue in the secondary is less on the corners (from what I can see) and more on the safeties and communication or lack of.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Our issue in the secondary is less on the corners (from what I can see) and more on the safeties and communication or lack of.
This right here. I feel like the corners and safeties are never on the same page. Either the corners don’t know whether or not they have safety help, or the safeties are moving to help in the wrong places. Maybe the safeties are making the wrong reads and/or are making the right reads but are too slow making a decision, or just physically too slow to get in the right position.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This right here. I feel like the corners and safeties are never on the same page. Either the corners don’t know whether or not they have safety help, or the safeties are moving to help in the wrong places. Maybe the safeties are making the wrong reads and/or are making the right reads but are too slow making a decision, or just physically too slow to get in the right position.

But we have 2 safeties that gained the prescribed weight in the off-season.what is the problem?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It’s not the worst whipping we ever got. It’s the second worst. Exactly 117 years before this whipping, Clemson beat us 73-0 in Atlanta. (10/17/1903)

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It’s the most yards we’ve ever given up. The second highest number of yards we’ve given up in our history was 660 against UCF on 9/19/2020. An interesting related stat is that we gave up 605 yards to Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl (12/31/2014) but still won.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
20th from worst all-time in yards given up per play. It’s amazing that 2014 turned out so well for us. Five of the 40 worst yards per play games happened in 2014 (#4 - Georgia Southern - 8.8 YPP, #8 - Miami - 8.0 YPP, #9 - Pitt - 8.0 YPP, #18 - FSU - 7.7 YPP, #39 - Miss. State - 7.2). I guess that shows how great the offense was that year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It’s not the worst whipping we ever got. It’s the second worst. Exactly 117 years before this whipping, Clemson beat us 73-0 in Atlanta. (10/17/1903)

And, interestingly enough for the "sky is falling, slash my wrists" crowd, all 4 of our NC's came after this debacle. It is NOT the end of the world as we know it so to speak.;)

slugboy

Staff member
We have two corners, and they should play fairly traditional in our defense. In some of our film schools (couch coach), we’ve seen them make technique mistakes that let the receivers get position on them.
We have a free safety and a nickel, plus a second safety that sometimes plays like a linebacker and sometimes deep. That’s a long way of saying that this seems like a complicated scheme for safeties.
We also sold out against the run
I could get a better picture by watching a replay, but I don’t feel much like watching one right now