Film Study GT vs. Clemson Def Breakdown

Deleted member 2897

Thanks for continuing to do this. I know it must take a lot of time. I learn a lot everytime I watch.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
So, iBeeballin, as a player, you did this. You were IN this. In the learning process, a starter in tons of games.

How hard is it to learn this stuff? And I don't mean academically. Heck, I can watch your videos now and think "nah, that guy right there went the wrong way. He should be doing this or that instead." But I mean learn it as an athlete who has to execute it real time. So that you aren't thinking, you're just seeing and doing. And where did you learn the most: from watching film, from being in practice and hearing coaches, or what?

Granted, I don't know what or how Roof is teaching everyone. Or the position coaches. What is the learning process? I get that there are some basic skills that apply all the time in terms of tracking a ball carrier and then proper technique on tackling. In terms of the framework of the defense though, how hard is it to learn to play linebacker?

I ask because I see us struggle with things and they just don't make sense to me. And I'm not trying to call anyone out, or say anyone is stupid or anything like that. Just looking to understand what's going on.

The engineering aspect of school, I get it. I'm doing that. I know how much time it takes for me to get good grades. But, I also have time to post on here and watch videos and all that kind of stuff.

As an example: early in your video Vic drops back in coverage, but Bryant is keeping the ball, and you say "not sure why he went that way, he should be up here at the hash, he comes back though." Is that a coaching thing where he's being told "ok this is your key, when you see this, do this." And he's being told the wrong thing, OR, is it an execution thing where he just was looking at the wrong thing, and if they could call timeout a coach would tell him "hey, come on, this formation when you see this, the QB is your guy, don't drop back"?

I know I have a ton of questions but last one: overall as you watch our defense, would you trace our problems as a defense back to the scheme or the players? I can see how a scheme can be broken, if players follow a set of rules you can design an offense that will exploit those rules and create openings. Or, is it a matter of the players aren't following the rules as well as they should be? And to me that can be a matter of coaches not teaching it well, players not picking it up well, or sometimes just not being physically capable of what the rules require given they athleticism of the guy on the other side.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
How hard is it to learn this stuff? And I don't mean academically. Heck, I can watch your videos now and think "nah, that guy right there went the wrong way. He should be doing this or that instead." But I mean learn it as an athlete who has to execute it real time. So that you aren't thinking, you're just seeing and doing. And where did you learn the most: from watching film, from being in practice and hearing coaches, or what?

It took a full 2 years to understand the responsibility of the whole defense. As you see, it’s hard to play the run or pass if you only know your responsibilities. I learned more from watching upperclassmen go thru it and film.

Granted, I don't know what or how Roof is teaching everyone. Or the position coaches. What is the learning process? I get that there are some basic skills that apply all the time in terms of tracking a ball carrier and then proper technique on tackling. In terms of the framework of the defense though, how hard is it to learn to play linebacker?

Learning process is kinda broad (whether it is in season or offseason/spring), but both begins with mental training. Scouting reports: knowing your opponent tendencies, formations, strength & weaknesses, personnel. Then come the visuals: A lot of walk thrus on how to line up and reacting formations and movements

Linebacker is not hard. If you are willing to be physical and trust your eyes you will make plays more often than not

I ask because I see us struggle with things and they just don't make sense to me. And I'm not trying to call anyone out, or say anyone is stupid or anything like that. Just looking to understand what's going on.

The engineering aspect of school, I get it. I'm doing that. I know how much time it takes for me to get good grades. But, I also have time to post on here and watch videos and all that kind of stuff.

As an example: early in your video Vic drops back in coverage, but Bryant is keeping the ball, and you say "not sure why he went that way, he should be up here at the hash, he comes back though." Is that a coaching thing where he's being told "ok this is your key, when you see this, do this." And he's being told the wrong thing, OR, is it an execution thing where he just was looking at the wrong thing, and if they could call timeout a coach would tell him "hey, come on, this formation when you see this, the QB is your guy, don't drop back"?

He did it right most of the game, so I’m give him the benefit of the doubt just say drifted unintentionally. Problem trying to help on a route he’s seen out of that formation

I know I have a ton of questions but last one: overall as you watch our defense, would you trace our problems as a defense back to the scheme or the players? I can see how a scheme can be broken, if players follow a set of rules you can design an offense that will exploit those rules and create openings. Or, is it a matter of the players aren't following the rules as well as they should be? And to me that can be a matter of coaches not teaching it well, players not picking it up well, or sometimes just not being physically capable of what the rules require given they athleticism of the guy on the other side.

As you stated, there is no failproof defense or blueprint. It’s both scheme and players. The first 2 TDs are great examples.

TD1) I thought the scheme did us disservice, considering the circumstances of Kelly Bryant. That was extremely soft coverage on the short side of the field. Most middle school QBs can make those confidence boost throws. Those throws always also showed the Durham is not as fluid or quick out his break to make those short gain tackles while playing off

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So, iBeeballin, as a player, you did this. You were IN this. In the learning process, a starter in tons of games.

You make good grades???

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Those throws always also showed the Durham is not as fluid or quick out his break to make those short gain tackles while playing off
I think the rain played a part in that, too. The big cushion is respect for the receiver's speed and not wanting to get burned on the go route with no help over the top. Instead he got burned on the hitch. Maybe just two steps closer would have hedged better against both possible routes at the same time.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think the rain played a part in that, too. The big cushion is respect for the receiver's speed and not wanting to get burned on the go route with no help over the top. Instead he got burned on the hitch. Maybe just two steps closer would have hedged better against both possible routes at the same time.

Only come to that conclusion bc it happens on a dry days

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
IBB, is all game film that coaches and players review shot from the end zone?

Thanks for doing this

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow

It took a full 2 years to understand the responsibility of the whole defense. As you see, it’s hard to play the run or pass if you only know your responsibilities. I learned more from watching upperclassmen go thru it and film.

Learning process is kinda broad (whether it is in season or offseason/spring), but both begins with mental training. Scouting reports: knowing your opponent tendencies, formations, strength & weaknesses, personnel. Then come the visuals: A lot of walk thrus on how to line up and reacting formations and movements

Linebacker is not hard. If you are willing to be physical and trust your eyes you will make plays more often than not

He did it right most of the game, so I’m give him the benefit of the doubt just say drifted unintentionally. Problem trying to help on a route he’s seen out of that formation

As you stated, there is no failproof defense or blueprint. It’s both scheme and players. The first 2 TDs are great examples.

TD1) I thought the scheme did us disservice, considering the circumstances of Kelly Bryant. That was extremely soft coverage on the short side of the field. Most middle school QBs can make those confidence boost throws. Those throws always also showed the Durham is not as fluid or quick out his break to make those short gain tackles while playing off
Thanks for your insights! Can't say that enough. Having both your videos and your commentary in the video and on the board is awesome.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I also really enjoy your thoughts and insights. Thanks so much for doing these. I mostly lurk on your threads because I don't feel I can offer anything meaningful from a comment perspective, but I do appreciate the time and effort you put into these.