GT vs Clayton State game notes

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You can always gameplan, and it'll be easier once we have a better idea on who is more reliable for us. If I were teams, I'd run Coleman/Kelly/Terry off the three point line and force them to show they can score of the dribble. I don't think teams will really worry about Howard and Kyle but also won't be able to ignore them. But come ACC play I could see us struggling to score if the three isn't falling.

I do think on the high end of our potential we could be a hard team to guard because we can throw some very different line ups at teams.
I agree and would extend to saying I would make Devion make a jumper or two before I got aggressive with him. Both he and Kyle can penetrate so I would make them shoot. Until he makes a couple of jumpers from the foul line I drop off of Howard and stay in the paint. I too worry about us being able to score consistently.

slugboy

Staff member
Doesn't count for any tournament calculations, right?
  1. It turns out Warren Nolan doesn’t like us this year
  2. This game would only count big against us if we lost. It does us no resume favors as a win. If we’re on the bubble, no one is gonna use the Clayton State win to get us in the tournament.
  3. Although, if we have 20 wins, it’ll be one of the 20
I haven’t fact-checked this, but I feel pretty good on the “not a big resume item” front

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree and would extend to saying I would make Devion make a jumper or two before I got aggressive with him. Both he and Kyle can penetrate so I would make them shoot. Until he makes a couple of jumpers from the foul line I drop off of Howard and stay in the paint. I too worry about us being able to score consistently.
We’ve scored 80+ against Vandy and Tulane and 90+ in our opener. We have shooters all over the floor, and guards that can get into the lane.

I’m not naive enough to think we will score at the same clip all season, especially in the ACC, but there’s a few other things I’d be worried about before scoring.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Doesn't count for any tournament calculations, right?
My understanding is that it counts the same as any other W against lesser teams, but it’s not really going to move the needle. It won’t prevent us from making the tournament if we’re in consideration.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
  1. It turns out Warren Nolan doesn’t like us this year
  2. This game would only count big against us if we lost. It does us no resume favors as a win. If we’re on the bubble, no one is gonna use the Clayton State win to get us in the tournament.
  3. Although, if we have 20 wins, it’ll be one of the 20
I haven’t fact-checked this, but I feel pretty good on the “not a big resume item” front

Warren Nolan at the beginning of the season is based solely on last seasons statistics. So not really a matter of "like" but a cold blooded algorithm.

Win a few game we are predicted to lose and we'll get where we need to be. Kind of funny that we went up 83 spots by beating Clayton State.
1668081529905.png