GT vs Clayton State game notes

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought I head Jon Babul say that this game was our opener, but an exhibition for Clayton St? That seems pretty strange and even unfair that we could get credit for a win playing a team who thinks this is an exhibition only. Maybe I heard that wrong.

Otherwise, this team is very likeable and easy to root for, but lack of consistent scorer and lack of size are concerning. We need a leader who we can count on to score. maybe could be Deebo taking on Devoe role, Smith is great but not great shooter or finisher. Maybe Terry can be counted on? A lot of questions still.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I thought I head Jon Babul say that this game was our opener, but an exhibition for Clayton St? That seems pretty strange and even unfair that we could get credit for a win playing a team who thinks this is an exhibition only. Maybe I heard that wrong.

Otherwise, this team is very likeable and easy to root for, but lack of consistent scorer and lack of size are concerning. We need a leader who we can count on to score. maybe could be Deebo taking on Devoe role, Smith is great but not great shooter or finisher. Maybe Terry can be counted on? A lot of questions still.
I think what he said was it counts as a regular season game for us, but an exhibition for Clayton State (not sure how that works)

For us it was our opener though, so that’s really all that matters.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I think what he said was it counts as a regular season game for us, but an exhibition for Clayton State (not sure how that works)

For us it was our opener though, so that’s really all that matters.
my assumption is that it "works" because the two teams are in different divisions. just a guess.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I think in this context exhibition just means that Clayton state is exempting it from counting against their max number of games played. Basically, they don't have to trade a game against a team on their level in order to play the game.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Our 2 secret scrimmages counted as our exhibition games. I believe previously we have played a secret scrimmage & then an exhibition game. Neither game counts towards your record though.

slugboy

Staff member
Our 2 secret scrimmages counted as our exhibition games. I believe previously we have played a secret scrimmage & then an exhibition game. Neither game counts towards your record though.
Right, but those games don’t count for either team. LawTalkin Jacket is talking about a game that would count for us but not against Clayton State. That makes no sense.

Yet, here it is

292A28A3-3FA4-466E-ACEE-08B7849C04ED.jpeg

DF5B5A32-7278-4F7E-9DE0-A3921CCEFE50.jpeg

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Right, but those games don’t count for either team. LawTalkin Jacket is talking about a game that would count for us but not against Clayton State. That makes no sense.

It makes sense if you think of it less as a game being an exhibition and more of teams claiming a game is an exhibition. Games in some circumstances have to be exhibitions or else they violate rules. Other times, like our game against Clayton one team might still be able to claim it as an exhibition and have a reason to (for instance allowing them t o schedule another OOC game at their level). There are some potential theoretical problems but I don't think they are problems in reality.

It seems like you could have a situation where GT could schedule Kansas with Kansas claiming it's an exhibition and not counting while GT does and have Kansas throw the game to help GT's resume without hurting Kansas' but I believe the only reason Clayton could claim it as an exhibition was because we are non D2. Beyond that, in practice I don't think any major program would do that for any number of reasons that everyone should be able to think of.

The second, and imo more realistic worry, is that Clayton would use it as a game to just mess around and not take it seriously. I don't think this makes sense from their perspective at all, but even if they wanted to, that would be a great way to get no bigger school to want to schedule you, for an exhibition or otherwise. It simply isn't worth it.

I really think the entire exhibition thing is just that the game doesn't count against the total number of games they are allowed to play.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
One other thing I would appreciate your opinion on: I don’t think other teams can game plan against us this year. Last year it was “stop Michael”! It obviously worked and he seemed frustrated at times. This year, how do you prepare against us? I think CJP likes that.

slugboy

Staff member
One other thing I would appreciate your opinion on: I don’t think other teams can game plan against us this year. Last year it was “stop Michael”! It obviously worked and he seemed frustrated at times. This year, how do you prepare against us? I think CJP likes that.
We’ll know a lot more after Ga State. Clayton State played hard, but GSU should have more talent

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

According to Josh, this counts as W in the win column. GT 1-0 on the season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
but lack of consistent scorer and lack of size are concerning. We need a leader who we can count on to score.
#1 - How do you know we do not have a consistent scorer? After one game that is a tough call. Also, I do not think we have a problem relative our size. If needed we can start 6-11, 6-7, 6-6 at the 5-3 and not give up the rotations that we need. The game is evolving and teams need players who can play all over the floor. The old low post game is history. Will there be games where our size is an issue? Maybe.

#2 - I played on an NAIA team where our PG was clearly the leader and he averaged less than 5 ppg. It could be Rodney will be our leader on the floor and I would not have an issue with that. The idea that points make a teammate the leader is just not true. It's the ability to get your teammates to follow your lead when it comes to effort and focus and preparation.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

You can always gameplan, and it'll be easier once we have a better idea on who is more reliable for us. If I were teams, I'd run Coleman/Kelly/Terry off the three point line and force them to show they can score of the dribble. I don't think teams will really worry about Howard and Kyle but also won't be able to ignore them. But come ACC play I could see us struggling to score if the three isn't falling.

I do think on the high end of our potential we could be a hard team to guard because we can throw some very different line ups at teams.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I enjoyed (finally) watching this game, especially the second half. IF (big if) our defense can play with that kind of intensity all year AND we can shoot like we did in the second half, we will have a very successful season. I loved what I saw from Terry and Sturdy (and to a lesser extent Howard, since Clayton St. had no big man), and there were so many flashes of brilliance from the young guys--Moore, Tristan, Deebo, MKelly, Deivon--all of those guys made some incredible plays mixed with mistakes. This team is deep, too. Obviously, we won't learn a whole lot from playing Clayton St., but it sure is nice to start the season with a win. Here's to many more!