GT .vs. BC @ 5:00pm today

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the real winner today was CBG with Mike Gminski saying over and over how much Miller had improved in the last 3 years. If you need to recruit big men for your program that is a pretty good testament.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
He didnt step OOB, No offensive fouls, and slow footed post defenders. I really cant wait to see this team healthy for a change. Hope we give Duke a handful or 2.
Me too. My wife's a Duke fan so I figured tickets to that game would be the "perfect" Valentine's day gift.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Turns out it's bad luck for me to be on the forum during the game. We are the exact opposite team as BC. MGH won the game but our post presence kept us in it. Their 3 point shooting is ridiculous.

I hope MGH takes over the team next year. It can be his if he'll take it.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I was wrong stating we would need a few 3s early to open up the paint. I just couldnt see a coach not emphazising having a post presence. They let Daniel run buck wild in the 1st half. MGH is the hero once again, Hes pretty gifted when it comes to clutch buckets. Now he needs to make the rest of the game seem like were in crunch time. What a finish. Good TEAM win today.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Maybe the real winner today was CBG with Mike Gminski saying over and over how much Miller had improved in the last 3 years. If you need to recruit big men for your program that is a pretty good testament.

the G man has dumped on Tech plenty in the past, but those comments about how CBG has helped developed Miller needs to be shown to our big man prospects!

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If CBG has a legacy from his short time here at Tech it's the growth of Daniel Miller. He has grown from a defensive contributor to an NBA prospect. Not sure that would have happened under the previous regime. I hope he gets a chance in the league, he's one of the most consistent big men we've had

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Holsey 15 pts, Miller 18 pts & Carter 10 pts and who were a combined 17 for 25 from the field. Real strong offensive play from the 3 big guys down low.
Welcome back Carter. Miller is acting like he wants to play in the US instead of Europe.

Add Georges-Hunt with 15 pts.

And lets give Heyward a pat on the back for the 2 for 2 on 3 pt attempts and especially the 5 assists he dished out.
Heyward, of course, is a 1st year player who should be in his second year except for the injury. (I still think he should try out for BBack.)

Next. Duke. Nuff said.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
If CBG has a legacy from his short time here at Tech it's the growth of Daniel Miller. He has grown from a defensive contributor to an NBA prospect. Not sure that would have happened under the previous regime. I hope he gets a chance in the league, he's one of the most consistent big men we've had

Two years ago, Kam and Daniel were interchangeable. There is a significant difference in their play today.

I think Daniel is playing his way onto the all ACC team (and a shot at the league).

/

jeffgt14

Two years ago, Kam and Daniel were interchangeable. There is a significant difference in their play today.

I think Daniel is playing his way onto the all ACC team (and a shot at the league).

/
I always thought Kam would be a great player too. He has all the physical abilities just never performed. Thought the same thing about Julian Royal too before he got fat and lazy.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Also not sure how many people noticed - once GT was down 5 there was a timeout on every change of possession for the last two minutes of the game. GT won every offensive and defensive possession save for Olivier Hanlon's jumper. Kudos to the players AND the coaching staff. CBG gets heat for in-game coaching, some deserving, but last night there was really no better test of in-game coaching than by how GT coaches designed and players executed down the stretch.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don't forget to send a special bouquet of roses to the BC coach for calling a TO for us to set up our last play. We were out of TO's and I guess he couldn't bear to watch us throw up an unscripted, desperation heave. ;)

Thanks Donahue. You are a gentleman and a scholar. (y)

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget to send a special bouquet of roses to the BC coach for calling a TO for us to set up our last play. We were out of TO's and I guess he couldn't bear to watch us throw up an unscripted, desperation heave. ;)

Thanks Donahue. You are a gentleman and a scholar. (y)
I was just writing a very similar comment. I guess his thinking was we'd beaten them in transition a few times with the football pass to Miller and he stood a better chance defending a set play with our big guys covered. I tend to agree with him actually but the reality is we lose that game w/o the timeout.

CBGs set plays at the end of the game have been pretty awesome this year. We had one earlier in the year where we got Bolden a wide open look and he missed, but the play was great. I think Golden hit a game winner or 2 and MGH doesn't get that shot off w/o the Miller pick at half court.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I just dont understand why BC has such a bad record. They have an outstanding offensive set, great shooters, and a damn good big man. I know GT arent world beaters or anything, but our D is pretty stout and BC had their way with us pretty much. Give GT their PG,SG, or SF and we have a legit tourney team no doubt about it.

jeffgt14

I just dont understand why BC has such a bad record. They have an outstanding offensive set, great shooters, and a damn good big man. I know GT arent world beaters or anything, but our D is pretty stout and BC had their way with us pretty much. Give GT their PG,SG, or SF and we have a legit tourney team no doubt about it.
I don't really watch BC when they're not playing us, but Hanlan seems to go off every time he plays against us. I think he broke 40 on us last year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Talent. Their bigs are weak and unathletic. It's like having guards that can't shoot (sound familiar). Doesn't matter how good a coach is, talent deficiencies become glaring in conference play. Wait, did I just disprove my own anti-CBG stance? :confused:

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Great game by the Jackets. Really proud of the effort. They never quit and had their chance at the end--and this time they got the W. Here are the two teams in a nutshell: BC-great on offense, horrible on defense. GT-pretty good on defense, pretty bad on offense. Going from our usual "pretty bad" on offense to "decent/not bad" was the key to winning today. I don't care who we are playing, we need to keep feeding the post. Miller is shooting over 60% from the field!