GT Vollebees

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
What is it with Volleyball broadcasts from the state of North Carolina? Not near as bad as Duke as this announcer could actually pronounce the players' names. But just a single play by play buy and no replays at all! Which definitely were needed as the refs missed so many calls that there were about 10 challenges during the game. Isn't UNC a big journalism school? You would think they could manage the art of instant replay. Oh well our gals won in 4 sets so that was good.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The calls were just as bad in person.

20221028_214728.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When Coach Collier's challenge of a UNC kill in the 4th set was denied she could no longer challenge. The calls suddenly got perniciously bad.

But, GT made a lot of unforced errors in the 1st and 4th sets. Three service errors in the 4th and an attention error on a weak UNC serve just gave away 4 points.

GT was clearly better than UNC and after 2nd set the outcome wasn't really in doubt. Just happy that wasn't Pitt or Louisville.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It was great to see Otene step up big time with 17 kills. I love how she plays with such power. If we could just get Bertolino to do the same. I swear two thirds of the time she just tries to tip the ball like she is afraid of getting blocked instead of just hitting with power off of high hands. She only seems to go for power when she has no blocker to worry about.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am a little worried about the unforced errors against inferior opponents. We gave away too many points. UNC & State should not have won a set against GTVolleyball.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
It was great to see Otene step up big time with 17 kills. I love how she plays with such power. If we could just get Bertolino to do the same. I swear two thirds of the time she just tries to tip the ball like she is afraid of getting blocked instead of just hitting with power off of high hands. She only seems to go for power when she has no blocker to worry about.

Bertolino's weak point is her vertical. Her jumps are pretty low so her angle of attack is not as good as it can be.
Seems to me D'Amico's setting a lot better last few games. Thoughts?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Bertolino's weak point is her vertical. Her jumps are pretty low so her angle of attack is not as good as it can be.
Yes, I agree. Bertolino is a terrific player, but she may be out of position for us simply because we don't have anyone better at that position. She plays Libero on the Argentine national team. She is not very tall for an outside hitter (6' as opposed to the more usual 6'3" or above) and as you say has limited hops. I have been very surprised/pleased with Harper's play since Bertolino has an injured hand.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
She doesn't have the best vertical but then again the net is only 7'4" high in women's volleyball so she should be able to touch the top of the net flat footed if she is 6' tall. I still think she tips the ball way too much. Look at Otene who is also just 6' tall. I don't think her vertical is much better than Bertolino but she hits with so much power she gets a lot of kills off of blocks that go out of bounds or deflect off high hands. It seems that our opponents have caught on to Bertolino's tips and are ready for them which is why I would like to see more of a power game from her. She is capable as we see some power kills from time to time. That being said I must agree with the other poster about her defensive skills being superb. With her and Pimentel on the court we have effectively two liberos on the court at all times making it very tough on the other teams' hitters. She is also one of our better servers tied for the team lead in aces and second among the starters in serve %.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
She doesn't have the best vertical but then again the net is only 7'4" high in women's volleyball so she should be able to touch the top of the net flat footed if she is 6' tall. I still think she tips the ball way too much. Look at Otene who is also just 6' tall. I don't think her vertical is much better than Bertolino but she hits with so much power she gets a lot of kills off of blocks that go out of bounds or deflect off high hands. It seems that our opponents have caught on to Bertolino's tips and are ready for them which is why I would like to see more of a power game from her. She is capable as we see some power kills from time to time. That being said I must agree with the other poster about her defensive skills being superb. With her and Pimentel on the court we have effectively two liberos on the court at all times making it very tough on the other teams' hitters. She is also one of our better servers tied for the team lead in aces and second among the starters in serve %.
There is no one on the team that hits with the power of Bertolini when she uncorks it. That kind of power is not her primary game. She's more of a finesse player, but she has one hell of an arm. Agree she's probably not playing her best position, but we're a team of 6-rotation players (with few exceptions), so her strengths in digging and bumping make her an excellent back-row player, as well.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck

I didn't know she played libero on her national team. That's awesome.
And always subtract 2 inches off of listed height;)

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
There is no one on the team that hits with the power of Bertolini when she uncorks it. That kind of power is not her primary game. She's more of a finesse player, but she has one hell of an arm. Agree she's probably not playing her best position, but we're a team of 6-rotation players (with few exceptions), so her strengths in digging and bumping make her an excellent back-row player, as well.

In terms of raw power in the kills, I think Bergmann is by far the strongest... followed by Otene. You know those kills a few times a match when Bergmann delivers a missile and leaves you speechless... Maybe I may be missing it but never saw Bertolino to have the power you're talking about. It's good to see Harper getting some action too but I don't see the same level of power from her that Otene has.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't know she played libero on her national team. That's awesome.
And always subtract 2 inches off of listed height;)
Actually, I am not positive about that. I am pretty sure I heard it during a match broadcast, but I haven't found anything (written in english anyway) to confirm.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I am not positive about that. I am pretty sure I heard it during a match broadcast, but I haven't found anything (written in english anyway) to confirm.
That's not what some of the color people talk about during broadcasts, especially those close to the program (former Jackets). Bertolini supposedly is the most powerful hitter on the team. I do agree we don't see it often. Every once in a while she uncorks one and it's like "wow!"