GT Vollebees

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The bolded part interests me, as I believe we beat Ohio State to get to the elite 8 last year and then lost to Louisville??? Just my recollection with a lazy attitude of someone else will look it up and confirm or prove me wrong!
Your recollection is correct. In fact we swept them 3-0. But volleyball is hard to compare from year to year. Most good teams are loaded with upperclassmen since there isn't the threat of leaving early for the pros. Plus there are a ton of transfers that can quickly change the face of a team. We have benefitted quite a bit with the transfers we have brought in. I guess what I'm saying is we probably won't be facing the same Ohio State team that we swept last year just like our team is also a bit different. I will say I was surprised that they were able to go into Louisville and take 3 out of 4 sets especially since they were winless up to that point. But they have played a pretty tough schedule. It should give us a pretty good measuring stick to see where we are after next weekend. BYU is no slouch either.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Volleyball fans were scoffing about AVCA 2022 preseason rankings and that Ohio State was ranked 7... we did sweep them last year in the tourney and we're still 2 places behind them. But who knows, maybe it is a different/more mature team. And Louisville did lose some key players, namely the graduate students Stevenson and Dilfer, so it's a different team this year...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
If O’Keefe and AMC(doesn’t have an event specific to hoops)are full, I’ve parked on the street in the subdivision crossing over 10th St. from Fowler. I’ve parked in the Student Housing Deck before, also(it’s a few blocks SW from the Tennis Center). It might be a $5 or 10$ cost. Sundays, Holidays are free on the street by Publix on 8th & Spring St.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If O’Keefe and AMC(doesn’t have an event specific to hoops)are full, I’ve parked on the street in the subdivision crossing over 10th St. from Fowler. I’ve parked in the Student Housing Deck before, also(it’s a few blocks SW from the Tennis Center). It might be a $5 or 10$ cost. Sundays, Holidays are free on the street by Publix on 8th & Spring St.
Thank you!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, our ladies have fallen to OSU in 4 sets.
Some things were off this match. Hitting accuracy wasn't there (many out of bounds spikes) and serve receive was suspect again.
I'm no volleyball expert but setting seems to be our issue. The sets are not in the right place or very low, so the attackers cannot take the correct angles or must adjust and pooch the kill. There were many sets that Morrisette or Moss would have done a quick slide last year but those were very few in between and many of them were off. We'll win the expected ones but the tough ones like Pitt and Louisville are gonna be really tough if we don't work out these issues...

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Oops! I was hoping this would be a bounce back match.
We looked terrible from the start last night. Tons of serving errors. Not sure if something happened with Otene but she was replaced in the first set and I don't recall if she ever returned. Also, the setting continues to be a problem. Our hitters continue to have to deal with sets off the mark which really kills our chances to use our power. This was probably our worst performance of the year.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
So we lose at #24 Arkansas on their home court 3 sets to one and we drop 6 spots in the poll while Nebraska loses to #9 Stanford at home 3 sets to one and only drops one spot in the poll? Meanwhile Ohio State gets shut out by Pitt and only drops 2 spots to #7 and they only have a 4-4 record. And Minnesota loses to #22 Pepperdine again on their home floor 3-1 and only drops two spots to #8. Big 10 bias much? Oh well on to conference play now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So we lose at #24 Arkansas on their home court 3 sets to one and we drop 6 spots in the poll while Nebraska loses to #9 Stanford at home 3 sets to one and only drops one spot in the poll? Meanwhile Ohio State gets shut out by Pitt and only drops 2 spots to #7 and they only have a 4-4 record. And Minnesota loses to #22 Pepperdine again on their home floor 3-1 and only drops two spots to #8. Big 10 bias much? Oh well on to conference play now.
The Ohio State loss to Pitt also hurt our ranking.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The Ohio State loss to Pitt also hurt our ranking.
It seemed to hurt ours more then their's even though OSU is the team that lost and we haven't played Pitt yet. I know we lost to Ohio State but should we drop in ranking every time they lose from here on out?