GT Vollebees

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
2021_ncaa_bracket.jpg

Oh man, it would've been nice to face Florida... and see the McKissock sisters play each other!
And we have to play Louisville again :-(

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand why the NCAA put three of the top four ACC teams in the same bracket. We have been beating each other for weeks. Damn!
Unfortunately it’s just how the numbers work out. If we’re gonna win it all we will have to either beat them or beat someone who beats them.

As the great Ric Flair once said

“To be the man, You gotta BEAT the man”

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Florida A&M is in due to automatic bid from winning the SWAC. Our former player Dominique Washington is the star player on that team this year and she also won SWAC player of the year. So happy for them.

Buzzbomb, speaking of left out teams... well we know it all too well from our 2019 gut-punch experience. What do y'all think about automatic bids from conference winners when you know they don't belong in the tourney if the level of competitiveness was the only measure to get in. But I also believe in giving teams a chance (isn't that the reason why we have the same 4 factory team in the CFP every year?) It's tough.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I haven't watched much but have been keeping tabs on results this season. I'm thinking of going to the game on Friday. I've been hearing how fun these are since I was a student a decade ago but it would be my first GTVB game!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't watched much but have been keeping tabs on results this season. I'm thinking of going to the game on Friday. I've been hearing how fun these are since I was a student a decade ago but it would be my first GTVB game!

It's so exciting at O'Keefe!
2 things:
- Get there at least 30 min before game time to get a decent seat.
- Bring ear plugs (not kidding).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
To me, as long as the RPI matters most, I’m fine w/ conference champions getting in(but only one in those smaller leagues). We got a top 8 w/ a 6 RPI, so it feels right. Good teams playing great schedules, should be rewarded.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Congrats!
My son is an adult now, but still has to sit next to the Band, They are normally Freshmen.

Remember to scream, “Point Tech,” when appropriate. Bring another pair of glasses in case you have to hand them over to an official? Lol.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
From Kurt Hoyt, voice of the ‘Bees:
Notre Dame wasn't eligible due to their 13-15 record, otherwise they would have been in.

Putting 4 of 6 ACC teams in the Louisville region is no favor from the selection committee.

Miami had the best RPI (11) among teams not hosting. Florida had the worst RPI (21) among the top 16.

You play everyone once (14 matches). I believe we play Clemson and FSU twice every year and the other two rotate (+4 to get to 18). Last year, it was Miami and Wake instead of Louisville and Pitt.

We played both Pitt and Louisville twice. Miami faced them once each.

Our home-and-homes:
Louisville
Pitt
FSU
Clemson

Miami's home-and-homes:
FSU
North Carolina
Clemson
Wake

Very different conference strength-of-schedule.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
More from Kurt…
Tech hosted in 2003. They also hosted in 2004 for UC Santa Barbara when their gym wasn't available.

Tech was the #7 seed in 2003 and hosted Alabama A&M, Florida A&M, and Winthrop. After winning the first two rounds, they beat #10 California before losing to #2 Hawaii in Honolulu. I didn't get to go to Hawaii to broadcast those matches. Beating California was HUGE.

In 2004, they hosted for #13 UC Santa Barbara. Tech beat Georgia and UCSB before losing at #4 Minnesota 3-2 in one of the best NCAA tournament matches ever. I was brought along for this one and lost my voice by the end of the Minnesota match, especially after set 4 finished 48-46 (they played to 30 back then).

Minnesota ended our season back in the spring after we beat Lipscomb. So grateful to do those matches remotely. Dragged out 2004 highlights as the lead-in.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
REGIONAL SEMIFINALS – THURSDAY, DECEMBER 9
GameTimeSiteNetwork
TBD vs TBD12:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD12:05 PM ETTBDESPN+
TBD vs TBD12:05 PM ETTBDESPN+
TBD vs TBD2:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD4:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD6:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD8:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD10:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
REGIONAL FINALS – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 11
GameTimeSiteNetwork
TBD vs TBD4:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD6:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD8:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
TBD vs TBD10:00 PM ETTBDESPNU
NATIONAL SEMIFINALS – THURSDAY, DECEMBER 16
GameTimeSiteNetwork
TBD vs TBD7:00 PM ETNationwide ArenaESPN
TBD vs TBD9:30 PM ETNationwide ArenaESPN
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 18
GameTimeSiteNetwork
TBD vs TBD7:30 PM ETNationwide ArenaESPN2

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Counted 8.
GT-Citadel at 7pm this coming Thursday. WK vs. SC-East at 4:30pm.
Winners are Friday, 7 pm.
To be honest, I didn't count, but on the Selection Show they showed B1G with 7, ACC 6, SEC 6, B12 6?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand why the NCAA put three of the top four ACC teams in the same bracket. We have been beating each other for weeks. Damn!
If you look carefully at the brackets it looks like they have a distinct geographical bias outside of the top seeding. Note that most of the west coast teams match up against each other. I don't think it is by accident that Tech hosts two teams from South Carolina and one from Kentucky. We are in Louisville's bracket because the 8/9 seeds always match up against the number one seed. Frankly I don't think it matters much if we match up against them or Texas or Pitt or Wisconsin. All four are great teams and we have to beat at least one of them to make it to the finals anyway. In basketball they always say it's tough to beat a good team three times in one season. Let's hope that is true if we are able to make it that far.