GT Versus Auburn

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/022415aaa.html

This one is on the SEC Network, so I can watch ...... but listen to WREK probably.

5 games in 6 days. Good that we have pitching depth. But not quality. I checked a couple of other teams at http://www.thebaseballcube.com/college/ for ERA.

GT 5.66
UNC 5.0
VT 4.6
FSU 3.60
Miami 3.05
Clem 1.37
UVa 1.12
...... may check more tonight but I was **hoping** our high ERA was due to the more lively ball .......

Maybe we can lead from beginning to end for the first time this year ........ Ben S who is starting is one of our best. We need 5-6 innings out of him! Just get the W.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I am wondering about is with the new ball and the higher seams, it must surely affect the way pitchers grip and throw the ball. I know I am reaching here, but one wonders if some guys are having more trouble with the new grip than others? Maybe it will take some pitchers longer to get used to the higher seams.

No doubt the hitters are driving it further...home runs per game are just about double last year's pace. But the grip could (conceivably) be affecting walks, and hit batsmen. I have seen no data on comparing that year to year, but do wonder about it....

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
It's snowing today. Any chance the game gets postponed to another day? What about tomorrow's game against Georgia State?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I am wondering about is with the new ball and the higher seams, it must surely affect the way pitchers grip and throw the ball. I know I am reaching here, but one wonders if some guys are having more trouble with the new grip than others? Maybe it will take some pitchers longer to get used to the higher seams.

No doubt the hitters are driving it further...home runs per game are just about double last year's pace. But the grip could (conceivably) be affecting walks, and hit batsmen. I have seen no data on comparing that year to year, but do wonder about it....

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ncaa-to-switch-to-flat-seamed-balls-in-2015/

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

OK, settling in here watching the snow come down. Great afternoon for baseball (not).

I'm sure we'll see articles about the difference in scoring once we get deeper into the season. This year the weather has been so fricking cold that I think we have to wait till mid-season to see the difference.

Tonight I think with Ben S pitching we have as good a starter as we can field. He's got the best ERA of a starter (over 6 IP) (3.86) right there with relievers Gold (2.45) and Ryan 3.86). I think one or both those guys should start this weekend and have the starters be relievers. I just heard Hall say that we can put players in if the ones we have in aren't getting the job done. I hope he backs that up.

Here's the rest of the ACC for ERA. We suck regardless of the type of seams on the ball.
BC 7.93
GT 5.66
UNC 5.0
NC State 4.83
Wake 4.72
VT 4.6
Loiusville 4.42
FSU 3.60
Miami 3.05
ND 2.92
Duke 2.66
Pitt 2.54
Clem 1.37
UVa 1.12

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watching the SEC network. One of the announcers they have was an Auburn player and I think MLB player. Very very good announcer.

Talked about Hall and the GT program in a complementary way. Also that we have MLB players come back and give their time to talk to our team; shows they believe in the program.

Auburn has their last year Friday night starter up against us. For some reason, we only have two hits after three. But 0-0 since we seem to be playing up from the poor fielding of previous games. This could be a good one!

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Down 6-0 now. All 6 runs earned. Ben Schniederjans threw 4 innings and gave up 4 runs. Shelton just gave up 2 runs. Tech has 2 hits and no runs. Auburn has 10 hits so far. 1 out in the bottom of the 5th.

I can't see us coming back from this...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we'll watch "The Tudors", only a few episodes left. I'll follow on GameTracker because you never know. But we are at the 5 standard deviation expectation of a win now.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech strands 2 in the top of the 7th. Gorst comes in and gets a 1-2-3 inning, strikes out 2. Tech needs a big inning here.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
..and that's ball game. Disappointing loss. Tech falls 7-1. To be fair, Auburn had their ace on against us. Onto Indiana State at the weekend. Go Jackets!