GT v Wake 1/19

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate your optimism and I'm not trying to be contrarian but what do you see that makes you think better times are ahead under Pastner? We brought in 0 recruits this cycle and will lose our 2 best players after this season. What am I missing that I should be optimistic about?
Georgia Tech baseball season is only 29 days, 17 hours, and 41 minutes away!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The defense in the last 10 minutes or so just plain sucked. I think it was partly scheme, but sadly I think it was partly effort also (or lack there of).

The high post offense is stagnant and too predictable. To our guys credit, they were more active in looking for cutters tonight and they did hit some for layups, but we threw the ball away some too. Gigi had 8 points on 4-8 shooting, which maybe was step in the right direction.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
What bums me out is I feel like we were a highly desirable destination on the Portal last season but the 1 and 5 were big question marks because we weren't sure whether Jose and Moses were headed to the NBA or back for one more season. I don't blame them and both players gave me so much happiness over their Georgia Tech careers, but Josh doesn't hesitate to deny that their late NBA draft decisions really hurt us in the Portal last season.

Will 2022 transfers have the same desire for a last place ACC Georgia Tech? I'm really not sure :\

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
What bums me out is I feel like we were a highly desirable destination on the Portal last season but the 1 and 5 were big question marks because we weren't sure whether Jose and Moses were headed to the NBA or back for one more season. I don't blame them and both players gave me so much happiness over their Georgia Tech careers, but Josh doesn't hesitate to deny that their late NBA draft decisions really hurt us in the Portal last season.

Will 2022 transfers have the same desire for a last place ACC Georgia Tech? I'm really not sure :\

Most transfers just want an opportunity for playing time or to “go home”.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tonight was one of the few times I would really question our effort. Getting back on defense sucked. We let our offonsive ineptitude get in the way of just general effort.

We need to look at spacing the floor rather than running the offense though the elbow

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Continuation of horrible basketball tonight but this was especially bad. Poor effort by coaches and players. Do not see things getting better next year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

The fault lies with CJP. He needed to act as if neither were coming back and aggressively work to backfill their positions/strengths. He failed miserably.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We looked tired. I thought it was from covid weeks ago and it might be lingering from that but it's really annoying to watch guys who can't run the floor when we were even or the slightly better team for a good chunk of the game. Mid season isn't the time to work on S&C but we need it. Also anyone looking for a recruiting failure, it's the 2019 cycle. Every year except that one and this have been fine recruiting combined with good coaching. We're missing that devoe/deebo level guy who is a RS junior or Senior

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, this was worst performance of season, right there with Miami(OH) game. Just seemed flat from jump. Usher benched to start 2nd half. Good crowd, but nothing sustainable to cheer about. I’m most concerned if we play like this in the next two games. Losing can bring those with shaky confidence down quickly. They can also rebound quickly if a few shots fall next game. The next two games - given more winnable schedule - is the true test of if players and program hit a lull for a game, or if given up on season.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
ouch. This one hurt. Wake Forest is MUCH improved and played really well, but we continue to fail at (1) keeping our energy and effort on defense, and (2) making open shots when we need them. You can add a myriad of other issues in this game, including poor transition defense, poor free throw shooting, and poor finishing at the rim.

Some notes:
1. It was nice to see Howard back. Again, we shouldn't be running our offense through him, but he is our best interior defender right now and he can usually finish at the rim. He was a little rusty, but we absolutely need him down the stretch.
2. Saba had his best game. Despite what some of you have expressed, I actually do think we can run the offense through him. He is a capable mid-range shooter and has good vision and ability to pass from the key, as evidenced by his 3 assists. He will need to make a few of those mid-range shots, though, to pull his defender out. If he can continue to give us decent minutes, we can upgrade the 5 position from disastrous to meh. (32+ from Saba and Howard in this one)
3. We all know that we need more scorers to step up, and they know that too. Maxwell and Coleman are those guys but they are still young and figuring it out. Combined, they went 3-16 in this one.
4. 5 of 20 from three is not going to cut it. Not even close.
5. I don't know why we looked tired and lacked effort. Ten guys played 10+ minutes. That's rare for Pastner and should help keep our guys fresh.
6. Wake Forest looked like a better coached team than us...with their coach not even in the gym. They pass well, defend well, and play with energy. Really remarkable considering how many of them are new to the program. WF is a good example of how to remake a team quickly from the transfer portal. I hope we can have some of that success next year...

I'll keep cheering, and I think we will see some improvement as the schedule gets a little easier down the stretch, but this is one we needed to win and didn't. Stinks. Go Jackets.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Couple of thoughts after sleeping on things.

For the first 30 minutes we played pretty well. Not perfect by any means but overall pretty good. Defense had some issues but that is somewhat to be expected against Wake this year. We were in the game and had a chance.

Last 10 minutes was just bad. Specifically the third quarter of the second half. Score went from 56-53 to 74-58 during that stretch.

Overall, one of the big differences in this game was just making shots, and specifically shots close to the bucket. I remember at least 5 really good point blank missed opportunities either from guys rushing their shot or hesitations stopping them from trying to shoot. And those were by Coleman/Maxwell/Saba iirc. Coleman and Maxwell were the ones where they made nice cuts to get the ball right at the rim and hesitated worrying about it getting blocked. Later, Ush did the same thing but went up immediately and drew the foul. Experience tells you that it is unlikely for a clean block to happen in those situations. Saba had two nice moves, one a hook from a good positioned post up and another drive where his man was too high trying to contest and he just rushed both shots by the look of it. Those are frustrating plays because they are there to be made, but that is part of the learning experience. We also had several open looks at threes that we couldn't hit which also killed us.

Otherwise, IMO we can run the high post stuff with Saba. It'll be rough this year but he has the skillset for it. Needs to get the judgment and decisiveness part down though. With Howard we shouldn't be though. It's not his game and isn't as effective. To go along with that, I feel we've tried to use that as a crutch to take pressure off of Sturdivant and Smith as they get adjusted. At this point we need to stop doing that. Those two, along with Coleman/Kelly/Maxwell need experience running the offense rather than being primarily catch and shoot or catch and drive guys. This isn't just for them having the ball, but also being able to build chemistry and learn what their teammates are going to do so they can get to the right position. A lot of our young guys have the problem of driving in and getting into situations where they don't have a good pass to make. Part of that is on the driver, but part of it is a lack of reaction from off ball players to move to openings.

At this point it somewhat feels like we're trying to force the issue with Maxwell/Kelly a bit with them getting more minutes than they really should. I like both and think they'll be good players but I don't think they are the type of players right now that you go small just to get them on the court. Now if you bring one in as a sub for Mike and they catch fire, you can adjust to roll with the hot hand, but at the moment I think our rotation should primarily be Sturdy/Smith/Devoe/Coleman/Moore/Ush/Howard/Saba. While we want young guys to get experience for next year, what we really need if for a couple of them to be ready to be starters, not all of them ready to be back ups, if that makes sense.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Each game they predictably fall apart in the last 10 minutes. The defense gives up completely uncontested lay ups and open jumpers. In past years, even when the offense was off, they played hard defense. Not this year.
The offense has no plan. The big guys cannot shoot more than two feet from the basket. The guards drive into the lane, get covered up and throw up a wild shot instead of kicking out. It is hard to go from leading by 3 to down by 16 that quickly. But this team does it. It is hard to watch the men’s team right now. I do not blame the players. I blame the coaches for not having them ready to play. And how does Wake have superior talent? Sorry for rambling.
REALLY tough to watch right now. Defense is a complete lack of effort and communication. Better ways to spend my time - football season followed by this team's poor play makes it double tough. Please, make it go away. Gotta check out from watching this team for a while for mental health reasons! Baseball season can't get here quick enough...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I appreciate your optimism and I'm not trying to be contrarian but what do you see that makes you think better times are ahead under Pastner? We brought in 0 recruits this cycle and will lose our 2 best players after this season. What am I missing that I should be optimistic about?

I'm optimistic since Pastner has shown the ability to coach and develop talent. I think he'll get better players somehow (I don't follow MBB recruiting / transfers much). So for me, my ignorance in that area of MBB is bliss.

Plus with snow coming again, it must be time for college baseball.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Better times are ahead for GT basketball under Pastner. Tonight sucked.

Let's enjoy WBB and focus on the good. I share the hope for baseball, but we all know that being a GT fan is not for the weak of heart.
I turned the tv to the game in second half and we were down 5. In a flash we were down 18. Those few minutes looked like GT FB against ND and the dwags. What do you see in this team and Pastner that's different than collins and what he's got going on? They both appear uninspiring with teams that act uninspired.

Yes, the women are fun to watch.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The fault lies with CJP. He needed to act as if neither were coming back and aggressively work to backfill their positions/strengths. He failed miserably.
He had to know they were probably not coming back. Usher and Devoe were not guaranteed to come back either so we mad e out pretty good on that front.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At this point it somewhat feels like we're trying to force the issue with Maxwell/Kelly a bit with them getting more minutes than they really should. I like both and think they'll be good players but I don't think they are the type of players right now that you go small just to get them on the court. Now if you bring one in as a sub for Mike and they catch fire, you can adjust to roll with the hot hand, but at the moment I think our rotation should primarily be Sturdy/Smith/Devoe/Coleman/Moore/Ush/Howard/Saba. While we want young guys to get experience for next year, what we really need if for a couple of them to be ready to be starters, not all of them ready to be back ups, if that makes sense.
I think that it boiled down to CJP trying to find someone (anyone) that could make a 3. He tried Deebo, Kelly, and Maxwell, and it seemed that none of them could find a rhythm.

The bottom line is that if we shoot 5-20 (25%) we probably aren't going to win the game. At least against a team like Wake this year. They're really playing well this season.

I cannot remember the last time that we had someone (other than Devoe) score off the drive. Without a post presence, missing the ability to penetrate and finish from our offense is really hurting.

We're relying almost entirely on three pointers or jump shots and that is a recipe for losing. It is naturally going to equate to lower FG% and fewer points.

IMO, that has more to do with why our offense looks ragged than playing through the elbow.

ETA: Where we were relying on jump shots, Wake got most of their shots at the rim.

Wake was 25-for-32 inside the arc including eight dunks in the game. THAT is how you win basketball games.

Last edited: