GT v VT 2012 and 2013

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Almost the same game in scoring minus the block punt and score from 2012.

Offense:
2012: Score after a fumbled punt on short field. Second TD was a last minute passing 4th down conversion followed by a passing TD. VT forced us to pass to get yards all game.

2013: We lost the turnover battle, we had more offsides, and a new starting QB. VT forced us to pass to get yards.

Conclusion:

Both years, with a new QB or a good option QB, VT forced us to pass to get yards.

We came in to run the option, and VT was willing to sell out to stop the run and blitz on the pass.

CPJ came in to teach Vad the option versus learning from last years game... using the short dump passes, crossing routes and screens to get yards.

Defense:
2013: Stopped Logan much better than 2012.

Last edited:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
CPJ came in to teach Vad the option versus learning from last years game... using the short dump passes, crossing routes and screens to get yards.

I thought about this...Wonder what happens this week in practice.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Short dump passes and quick slants are how you beat teams that put 8 guys that close to the LOS, so why were we chucking it 15-30 yards downfield every play? We should have done to them what Elon did to us, hell an FCS team can throw quick slants.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I sat here and thought the same thing, how can you not utilize the A backs in a short passing game to neutralize what Vt was doing on defense? The kinds of routes typically run by the A backs out of a spread option were the perfect counter and, yet, CPJ failed to call them. Why? The deep routes are great if you give Vad time to throw them but they are not the routes that would have Foster change up his calls on a regular basis. This lack is one of the many things I fault CPO for in this game. One of the easiest sight adjustments against a stacked box is the play side corner, if he comes up to the LOS and take a step forward at the snap the WR on that side changes to a quick slant and its a 3 step and throw for the QB. No time for pressure to get there and the safety can get to the receiver to defend the pass. Yet you NEVER saw it called!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I did the unthinkable and rewatched the game. I hope Will Jackson got paid well bc Hopkins giving it to him hard. It still amazes me that we dont actually put hands on the DLineman and drive them down. Our guards were just leaning over falling on the ground trying to get in front of VT DTs and instead .

VT ran the same concept the entire game. If were in our base 2x2 set, Fuller would shoot the strongside B gap disrupting the timing of the mesh and not allow a lineman to get to the second level
If it was a 3x1 set, VT knew we like to rollout so they blitz Fuller from the outside to the 3 receiver side and brought a LB in the in the B gap. We kept the A back in to chip the outside blitz but never leaked him into a route (he wouldve been open if we did).

As most have said we should have been running drags, slants, quick outs and smoke screens.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I need to back track a little. We did have some good short passes. Not many screens, but the one we did have was tipped ( like the two in the UNC game).

Paul did not stick to the option play only. The false start changed the game plans and killed 4 drives.

Mental errors killed this game more than anything else.