GT V Tulane TO Plays

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
wish we could see more of the downfield blocking, but such is TV and especially the angle at that stadium. I do think JT made pretty good decisions overall.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Finally!
Just kidding man. I appreciate these. No slo mo on my DVR.
We had some pretty plays in the run game. If we can clean up the turnovers, we have the potential to embarrass a lot of folks.
First vid was pure beauty.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't mean to sound disappointed, this is a fantastic breakdown and I really appreciate all your work Longestday. Really makes it easy to learn as a fan.

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks Longest. Do you think 72 (Griffin) missed his block in #3 or was that an intentional miss so he could go down field to block?
It looks like the end is being optioned, so it does look like it's on purpose. But the corner and either the safety or linebacker also don't get blocked. I couldn't tell whether it was the safety or LB--they're coming in from off-camera. I think Griffin might be going for one of them--I couldn't tell who he was supposed to block.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All great reads, but the pitch to the AB in TO 2 (3rd one down) has no pitch read and he should have kept it. I would assume the QB should keep as there is always a chance of a fumble on a pitch.

@GTNavyNuke Griffin did not miss his block. The defensive end is one of the option defenders. The DE does push/jam Griffin to make it more difficult for Chris to block the MLB.

Please note that JT reads the DE going wide (he takes the QB) and then reads the Cross charge of the LB (he takes the BB) and pitches to the AB.

As an FYI, to keep from getting confused on what is a TO, I only call a TO if the blocking AB goes wide. If the blocking AB goes inside for a block, then I have a hard time telling if it is a TO or a called dive (all of the AB blocking in are BB gives anyways and that leads me to called dives assumption). Some called dives block the DE and some dives do not block the DE. I think this might also depend on where the DL lines up.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
I see improvement here compared to the set from wofford. We look fast and dangerous. Mostly good decisions, though I also don't like the unforced pitch in vid 3

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
In the video labeled TO 1, if JT doesn't learn to turn inside and pitch the ball, better teams will give us trouble. I understand he can outrun everyone on the field and when you're that much faster than the guy tackling you your instinct is to run around him, but he basically takes Zenon out of the play. When I saw the play live I thought wtf is he doing.

Also from the other videos, it didn't seem like Tulane missed any opportunities to get a good hit on JT

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I would assume the QB should keep as there is always a chance of a fumble on a pitch.

In Paul Johnson's Georgia Southern playbook, he mentions that the decision making process is made easy on the QB. The decision is "Pitch, until the defense doesn't allow you to pitch".

If following that process, then he should pitch the ball in the event they are both uncovered.

EDIT: The playbook calls this a one-way decision. It quotes "pitch the ball off number 3, until number 3 won't allow him to pitch the ball". I'm not sure how the process changes if there is no #3 (i.e. no pitch read), but I'd assume he would still pitch.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Longest. Do you think 72 (Griffin) missed his block in #3 or was that an intentional miss so he could go down field to block?
great note, exactly what I thought-- but my guess is he didn't block anyone since the LB or S came across for tackle

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@alaguy Yes he missed the MLB on the block. That is one of the hardest blocks and a very often missed block for our Oline Tackles. The MLB is deep with a steep the angle of attack on the LOS... the approach is in the blind side of the OL's helmet. Normally the OT goes to deep and the MLB runs underneath. The Ol might also think this is the outside LB and is to be optioned.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
@alaguy Yes he missed the MLB on the block. That is one of the hardest blocks and a very often missed block for our Oline Tackles. The MLB is deep with a steep the angle of attack on the LOS... the approach is in the blind side of the OL's helmet. Normally the OT goes to deep and the MLB runs underneath. The Ol might also think this is the outside LB and is to be optioned.

Probably one of the reasons he did not grade out better than the LT. This particular block may be a block well-suited for Klock, a more mobile T.

Finally!
Just kidding man. I appreciate these. No slo mo on my DVR.
We had some pretty plays in the run game. If we can clean up the turnovers, we have the potential to embarrass a lot of folks.
First vid was pure beauty.
Justin has the mesh down much better that Vad already. We appear to have the potential to eat up yardage in big chunks.