Film Room GT V Tulane Series 1

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
I wanna start by saying I can't get enough of these. Please don't ever stop making the videos. My wife hates it but I usually spend Sundays re watching every play from the day before 11 times, once for every player involved. It's addicting.

Only thing I'll critique is use of the term "off tackle". I assume you're taking that from play by play sheets describing a run directed to go between guard and tackle. Anyway I think the more typical lexicon is play side and back side or left/right to specify the position itself.

FWIW, my wife also hates that I'm a grammar nazi..

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thank you @gtg147g. I am using off tackle to define the offensive tackle player position and not the running lane. For instance, bothe Erin Joe and Chamberlain are offensove tackles. I could use the more correct term for each player and say the right or left tackle.

I speak in very simple terms... which helps with about 80% of the people watching.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, Ld, you da man! Thoughts:
1. On first play, Chambo not in position to block the safety, but that's ok, he ends up being the pitch key anyways. Chambo gets all turned around and blocks no one. He should have stayed in the middle and blocked the pursuing MLB. If he had done that, JT would still be running right now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
2. Skov could have very easily hurtled the defender on play #2 and scored. He's so contact focused, though, the thought probably never entered his mind.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
3. On the td play, Chambo wiffs on the safety again. I know that's a hard play, but if he can't make it, wouldn't it be better for him to just sit in the middle and cut off pursuing LB's? That way he's at least blocking somebody.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I wanna start by saying I can't get enough of these. Please don't ever stop making the videos. My wife hates it but I usually spend Sundays re watching every play from the day before 11 times, once for every player involved. It's addicting.

Only thing I'll critique is use of the term "off tackle". I assume you're taking that from play by play sheets describing a run directed to go between guard and tackle. Anyway I think the more typical lexicon is play side and back side or left/right to specify the position itself.

FWIW, my wife also hates that I'm a grammar nazi..

"off tackle" terminology is traditionally at or just outside the OT's outside leg. Bear Bryant used to say that to win you have to be able to run off tackle and to stop the off tackle play on D. The game has changed with the faster players and the spread offenses with all the passing, but there was a time when all first priority coaching was on the "off tackle" play. In today's game, almost regardless of the O formation, a classic off tackle play would be the OT blocks down (inside) on the 3 tech DT and the offside guard pulls and kicks out the DE. We run this play , somewhat wide to the BB, in our unbalanced line (OB).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thanks!
The tackle is going down field too soon - kind of like in basketball - caught in the middle. If the slows up then accelerates the safety must come to him to get running back.
Harder than it looks!

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Thanks LD, I love watching these. The slow-mo really helps me understand what we're doing since I typically watch the ball during the game like just about everyone else. I could tell that we weren't blocking very well while I was watching the game, but I couldn't catch exactly what was going on, until I saw the slow motion version of the play. We're going to need to do a better job against Notre dame this week.

I don't know if you've ever thought about it, or done it and I've missed it, but I would love to see you do a few defensive series as well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, Ld, you da man! Thoughts:
1. On first play, Chambo not in position to block the safety, but that's ok, he ends up being the pitch key anyways. Chambo gets all turned around and blocks no one. He should have stayed in the middle and blocked the pursuing MLB. If he had done that, JT would still be running right now.
My thoughts precisely. Had he done this it is a touchdown.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
My thoughts precisely. Had he done this it is a touchdown.

Problem is, Chambo doesn't know the playside OLB takes the dive (incorrectly), as typically that OLB will take the pitch. So Chambo makes the correct attempted block on the Safety, he just doesn't execute.

You can fault his execution, but don't fault his choice of who to try and block.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
2. Skov could have very easily hurtled the defender on play #2 and scored. He's so contact focused, though, the thought probably never entered his mind.

I've noticed this, as well. As much as I appreciate Skov's willingness to take/create contact, he could be so much more successful if he kept his head up and tried a juke. He did it against Alcorn and could have busted one for a TD. However, if that's the tradeoff for him getting 2-3 yards at the LOS, I'll take it.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I've noticed this, as well. As much as I appreciate Skov's willingness to take/create contact, he could be so much more successful if he kept his head up and tried a juke. He did it against Alcorn and could have busted one for a TD. However, if that's the tradeoff for him getting 2-3 yards at the LOS, I'll take it.
Old habits die hard. I also think that given the rotation with Marshall, Skov is really conscious of what is expected of him, such as getting "tough yards," and "falling forward," but maybe also softening up the defense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Problem is, Chambo doesn't know the playside OLB takes the dive (incorrectly), as typically that OLB will take the pitch. So Chambo makes the correct attempted block on the Safety, he just doesn't execute.

You can fault his execution, but don't fault his choice of who to try and block.
Wasn't faulting his initial choice. Just that having missed that first one he is kind of left standing around. A quick look see would have revealed to him that he had a prime target moving into the area.

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan

I'm thinking this might set up for a sweet hurdle for a big gain later in the year...

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the set-up with Aback in slot to right,it looks like if we put Snoddy there,he could blow by the DB up the middle for a long pass if we got the left split-end to run middle at the safety and distract him.Haven't really seen this in a while.