GT v the Citadel Postgame Press Conference

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... I think we just flat out overlooked this team.
Seeing as how we were 36-point favorites at one point, I trust your judgment. That is the one absolue point that all blame accrues to the top man. One cannot make in-game adjustments when one has not prepared a plan to adjust. Think maybe Temple was in his headlights?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I cannot count the times in business where I have seen the new team come in and want to put their own stamp / imagine on a company which results in disgruntled clients, pissed off clients and lost revenue...and in several cases, the business folds.....all because the new team (typically junior partners buyout) think they know best despite decades of a successful business practice. Just saying.
I was tinkering with consulting a business once that had been managed by a non-degreed workplace veteran and was very successful. Way beyond their dreams. A new board was voted in, looked around and almost audibly said that if they could make that much money with this "unqualified" guy, imagine how much they could make with a real businessman at the top. So they fired him, hired an MBA -- one of a string of degrees behind his name -- and inside of three years profits were barely marginal. And so they did what they always do ... started over at blaming everybody else.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I cannot count the times in business where I have seen the new team come in and want to put their own stamp / imagine on a company which results in disgruntled clients, pissed off clients and lost revenue...and in several cases, the business folds.....all because the new team (typically junior partners buyout) think they know best despite decades of a successful business practice. Just saying.

I have also seen similar, Animal. What I think is funny is that so many times, this new "team" never really understands why the customer doesn't adjust to their thinking. Somehow, the customer(s) are wrong, and if they could just get the customers to see they are wrong, it would all be better. :)

Animal02

Banned
I was tinkering with consulting a business once that had been managed by a non-degreed workplace veteran and was very successful. Way beyond their dreams. A new board was voted in, looked around and almost audibly said that if they could make that much money with this "unqualified" guy, imagine how much they could make with a real businessman at the top. So they fired him, hired an MBA -- one of a string of degrees behind his name -- and inside of three years profits were barely marginal. And so they did what they always do ... started over at blaming everybody else.
I went through five junior partner buyouts in my early days, it was always the same pattern. One firm went from 120 to 17 people in 18 months.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
First, we still have to give this new guy a fair shot even if his first steps are wobbly. I thought a seven-year contract, seven recruiting classes, was way more than fair, but that is a done deal, over with, and the AD may have to answer for that. As for a depleted offensive line, well. It may be Collins' first rodeo but it won't be his last, so he had better get used to losing key players, and in a hurry. One doesn't have to be on the field to know how hard those licks are, just in the vicinity. 300-pounders running into and tripping over one another is not common activity.

I think it is as true in business as it is in sports: I cannot count the times I've seen a successor or replacement manager take a job and then proceed to gnash his or her teeth over the dreadful state of inherited affairs, thus buying a couple or three years -- they hope -- before blame attaches to them. (If Dabo leaves Clemson, and he won't, wait for the first peals of woe from his successor. It won't be long.)

Lots to be said on both sides of this issue. I wasn't really trying to get into the blame game, but just mainly wanted to point out the fact that we are more depleted on OL than I have ever seen us in my 50+ years of following Georgia Tech football. Partly due to attrition, partly due to recruiting, and partly due to injury.